Corsair Community

Neutron GTX Fails Windows 8 Fast Boot most of the time

seph13

Just recently got a Neutron GTX 240 GB to replace my other brand SSD that was 128 gb. I noticed pretty fast that the Neutron GTX almost always fails Windows 8 Fast Boot (you can tell by how much slower it boots). I looked in the Event Viewer and saw if full of critical errors event ID 41. I checked the times and they are an exact match to whenever I went to boot Windows 8 Fast Boot. (basically anytime its not a restart). I know its the Neutron gtx because my other SSD does not have this issue and always does a successful fast boot with no error 41s. I have tried leaving the Neutron as the only ssd plugged in and in different intel sata 3 ports. Yes I have the bios set to AHCI and every single controller, driver, and update installed that could possibly be related and after spending the last 48 hours trying to fix this am convinced nothing short of a Firmware update can. The only time it doesn't fail is sometimes when I turn the computer back on within a minute.

Can people out there replicate this problem? I have submitted a ticket to Corsair and am awaiting a response. I was honestly furious to find that Newegg will not refund SSDs as I am ready to return this expensive card to get my money back and swear off buying computer parts from an online store again.

Can people out there confirm that windows 8 will Fast boot on this drive? Please check your event viewer for critical event 41 and tell me if your computer will do a proper fast boot after being off a few minutes. This is ridiculous and I am outraged that such a flaw was not caught.

YOu are high likely outraged at the wrong recipient. I doubt that other people with this drive on win8 have such problems with fastboot.

I can not replicate the problem, even with my old and rusty Force 3 SSD my windows-7 (with MSI fastboot) it boots normally within 12 seconds.. up to 15 seconds if the HDD were in suspend and need to spin-up first for the boot to continue :D

You should post an ATTO screenshot of the drive, please, just to let some people see if it operates in good condition.

The problem can be BIOS/UEFI related, no matte rif you have latest(or even beta) installed, the only way to shoot that out for sure would be to check fastboot on another computer that is known to work with that drive for fastboot. I recommend you that if available, because A) windows 8 is a relative new OS and B) fastboot is a relative new feature that needs to be properly supperted by the BIOS.

Additionally the fastboot may have problems invoking the GPU or any other drive from sleep. I see you have a Crucial m4 and not named any other HDDs, but i think 360gb would be little less. have you tried disabling "disk suspend" in the energy options and woke all disk before you rebooted? is latest gpu-driver installed?

In general you should try a different cable if not already tried.

Does the problem appear in warm-reboot / soft-reset?

YOu are high likely outraged at the wrong recipient. I doubt that other people with this drive on win8 have such problems with fastboot.

I can not replicate the problem, even with my old and rusty Force 3 SSD my windows-7 (with MSI fastboot) it boots normally within 12 seconds.. up to 15 seconds if the HDD were in suspend and need to spin-up first for the boot to continue :D

You should post an ATTO screenshot of the drive, please, just to let some people see if it operates in good condition.

The problem can be BIOS/UEFI related, no matte rif you have latest(or even beta) installed, the only way to shoot that out for sure would be to check fastboot on another computer that is known to work with that drive for fastboot. I recommend you that if available, because A) windows 8 is a relative new OS and B) fastboot is a relative new feature that needs to be properly supperted by the BIOS.

Additionally the fastboot may have problems invoking the GPU or any other drive from sleep. I see you have a Crucial m4 and not named any other HDDs, but i think 360gb would be little less. have you tried disabling "disk suspend" in the energy options and woke all disk before you rebooted? is latest gpu-driver installed?

In general you should try a different cable if not already tried.

Does the problem appear in warm-reboot / soft-reset?

It would make sense that you can't replicate this problem as you are using a Force 3 ssd (completely different controller that is sanforce if not mistaken) and different firmware, on Windows 7 that doesn't support Fast Boot. It is not the GPU or any other drive as Fastboot works fine if I install Windows 8 on the Crucial SSD. Would be great to see if anyone can test a Neutron on Windows 8 hardware to see if Fastboot works properly with no event 41 critical errors in the event log. And yes I tried a different sata cable.

I'm telling you it has to be the Neutron Firmware as I remember similar issues on the Crucial until I updated the Firmware.

If I can't get this resolved within the next ten days I will return the drive and get another brand. Even a heads up from Corsair that they are aware of the issue and fixing the firmware shortly might convince me to wait it out a bit and just disable FastBoot for now. Most of my hardware is Corsair and my loyalty to the brand will be greatly shaken if this isn't addressed. Everything else I've owned from Corsair has worked flawlessly.

It would make sense that you can't replicate this problem as you are using a Force 3 ssd (completely different controller that is sanforce if not mistaken) and different firmware, on Windows 7 that doesn't support Fast Boot. It is not the GPU or any other drive as Fastboot works fine if I install Windows 8 on the Crucial SSD. Would be great to see if anyone can test a Neutron on Windows 8 hardware to see if Fastboot works properly with no event 41 critical errors in the event log. And yes I tried a different sata cable.

I'm telling you it has to be the Neutron Firmware as I remember similar issues on the Crucial until I updated the Firmware.

If I can't get this resolved within the next ten days I will return the drive and get another brand. Even a heads up from Corsair that they are aware of the issue and fixing the firmware shortly might convince me to wait it out a bit and just disable FastBoot for now. Most of my hardware is Corsair and my loyalty to the brand will be greatly shaken if this isn't addressed. Everything else I've owned from Corsair has worked flawlessly.

1. Fastboot is not a registered trademark but a piece of software. As long as you have a mainboard that is compatible for win8-fastboot the mainboard-manufactured is free to provide a software for windows-7 that implements exactly the same than win8-fastboot does. the ssd does not need to support it. it is not a disk feature. again it is a bios/uefi feature.

2. What you find out with Crucial does not tell anyone what is going on with Corsair. Your way of concluding things is false. You are the one with the problem, seeking for a solution, so i recommend you not to try to tell me what you think may be the cause, just listen to this advice: Your BIOS may have a flaw in special only for this drive from Corsair... you should report these to your mainboard-manufacturer and wait for appropriate response before turning in the drive without a reason if you ar enot able to test it on another machine.

3. Still you are reclaiming a third party feature (fastboot) not to work, but you have no real proof that it is the drives fault, by that meaning: Good luck sending-in your SSD for RMA. If they cannot reproduce you may get it back or pay the check (some resellers - depending on local law - do that), just to warn you.

Whatever. You got lots of advices, but you are not replying to these. Strange!

Your way of concluding things is false. You are the one with the problem, seeking for a solution, so i recommend you not to try to tell me what you think may be the cause, just listen to this advice...

Whatever. You got lots of advices, but you are not replying to these. Strange!

dude, why are you so harsh? i would suggest you tone down the aggressive tone when trying to help another member. you cannot talk to people that way and expect them to listen to you.

its ok to offer advice or solutions, its not ok to make it sound like you are scolding a small child with ADHD.

please either change your tone or please stop posting.

Update: After playing around I'm suspicious that the problem lies in compatibility with my Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. After booting up in Windows 8 UEFI it always stays on the BIOS screen which is not normal in a UEFI installation. I have CSM disabled and can verify that the Crucial M4 will always bypass the bios (POST) screen and go straight to log in. It says in ASUS UEFI that it will always skip the POST screen in UEFI boot unless there is an error. I can verify that I have the latest BIOS update and that the Neutron GTX is at 310 firmware. Just ran an ATTO with what I assume are great results much better than the Crucial over 500MBS reads and over 400MBPS writes on most of the parameters.

Anyone with experience using this drive in Windows 8 or Asus Motherboards would be appreciated. Especially related to Boot problems/UEFI Boots/ Fastboot consistency,

dude, why are you so harsh?

you might interprete it offending, but it simply was nothing but the truth about getting optimum efficient support, there is no such thing like "aggressive tone", either their are aggressive words or not, anything else depending on contetext is only interpretation ... and because I assume the cause here is the BIOS not the disk-FW, just my opinion you are free to proof wrong, but not free to accuse me for an "harsh aggressive" single word... if there is no such... you got that? <-- or was that to aggressive tone for you :D: <-- why do you think I intended to put a smilie behind it, because i intended a aggressive tone... dude you are interpreting so much.

I think that cause here is the BIOS solely because their is no masses of GTX users having such problems with any firmware, or do you see them? look when somebody wants a solution and i give advice what is neccessary to check then it i have no patience or love for people that simply not do it because they think that could not be the cause because of what they believe. you never get to the root of the problem, if you know anything better and are biased shoot out to RMA what you might think is the cause (prepossesed in: the drive is fault), not sticking to adviced, arguing against them. it was my intention to efficiently help, even with what you might think sounded offensive.

in this case it is extremely important to 100% can tell what is the causing the problem, otherwise it wont cover up a solution but further different unneccessary problems. i was that harsh to protect him from the damage of sending a proper-working drive in for no reason, and NOTHING ELSE. i tried it substantially at first and got him ignoring it completely, so i felt it was neccesary and still ok is formulation and diction... so wut? :D:

anyhow seems like i was right, luv that ;):

@seph13:

did you opened up a support ticket at ASUS to verify that no other people with this drive only on this motherboard have issues? they enjoy to look into this and check with the relative technicial departement (guess in taiwan) and reply to you, thats their job.

please note that latest BIOS/UEFI-version does not mean "everything fixed". The hole fastboot/UEFI/CSM thingy is not well established, certain bugs on certain UEFI-MoBos with only some or even only a single disk-model is very high likely. I often see changelog-notes for UEFI/BIOS like "fixed xy for drive xy", this is not rare, so when you think it's the drive fault to RMA it, I just tell you to please consider, that you should absolutely make clear that it's not the Motherboards fault before you send it in.

So what differs the problem safely:

- Connecting the drive to another mainboard and test fastboot.

Or

- Asking ASUS if any problem regarding this drive and fast boot are known.

This tells you if the drive is defect / fw has problems or if the motherboard has compatibility issues / the UEFI has problems with this special disk.

I myself just assume it's the BIOS/UEFIs-fault by distant analysis, so maybe your first feeling, that the drive is defect might still be true, despite good ATTO results. In this matter i asked you to provide a screenshot from ATTO please. I dont know if what you interprete from it is correct. I can only check that if you provide the screenshot, please.

Please tell me just for the interest what turned out to be the problem, when you know it.

Update: I did look around the internet and managed to find a few people having the same issue on Corsair SSDs (I think just Neutrons) and Asus motherboards so perhaps it is UEFI/ Fastboot compatibility with Asus motherboards. Most of these people reported the same Event 41 issues that started coming up once they installed the Corsair. One person might have possibly fixed it by disabling Fastboot but that's not an option I wish to consider.

For now I am using the Crucial M4 as my Windows Install boot drive and using the Neutron GTX as storage for games. So far it seems to be working but I want at least 48 hours to go by without issue as at one point the Corsair (when it was my main disk) went half a day without the event 41 fast boot fail.

I am convinced however that Corsair can fix this with a firmware update as the Crucial once acted unreliably at Fastboot and after a firmware update never had a problem again. Unless the motherboard is just not compatible as well.

I submitted a ticket with Corsair two days ago and have still not heard anything......

You should submit a ticket to ASUS.. not corsair.... you convincion that corsair can fix this anyhow is FALSE!

You are telling us that you only found ASUS-Board users with that problem... consider this as a proof!

Did you not listen to for a reason: Again the UEFI/BIOS may have a special flaw that ONLY affects this single corsair drive.

Corsair doesnt program fastboot into the firmware. It is not a drive feature.

Many other GTX users have no problems in fastbooting on different mashines, so there is no FW-bug, and it is not possible for corsair to fix for UEFI/BIOS compatibility with updating the FW.

It is your mainboard-manufacturers job and only they can provide a fix.

Corsair has no way to determine what code in the UEFI is causing the issue to circumvent it with a FW-update.... still no other mainboard has the issues so why should they risk bricking users SSD just for ASUS-technicians beeing to stupid to programm fastboot-function properly for all drives.

Please finally understand it... i told you 2 times now to open a support ticket at Asus and bug them to fix it., there is no other way!!!

YOur efforts here are simply useless!

This is my last reply, i dont think you will get it this time.

Maybe when you would have opened up a support-ticket at ASUS you might had a solution by now, but you simply refuse to understand the circumstances. Im sry, im not willig trying to explain it to you furthermore.

Good luck in getting a solution from corsair.

i told you 2 times now to fckn open a support ticket at Asus and bug them to fix it., there is no other way!!!

YOur efforts here are simply useless!

And thats not harsh? you are a piece of work there bud, you DON'T talk to people that way. you sound exactly like some other clown that was banned for sounding like a jerk.

even RamGuy said

Actually Incriminated is not an employee in fact he does not represent us in any way

you are rude, demeaning and not a person i would ask for a glass of water if i was on fire.

i have been here on this forum for several years now doing my best to help other members as best i can BUT i dont swear at them, threaten them or just flat out say YOU'RE WRONG. i use terms like "i think you are mistaken or I'd like to see a link to your information" but i never told anyone " i told you 2 times now to fckn open a support ticket"

first off, going around the swear filter like you did is a direct violation of TOS which i don't usually care about but the context you used it in i take offense to and i"m actually embarrassed to be on the same forum as you.

Good day sir....:mad:

And thats not harsh? you are a piece of work there bud, you DON'T talk to people that way. you sound exactly like some other clown that was banned for sounding like a jerk.

even RamGuy said

you are rude, demeaning and not a person i would ask for a glass of water if i was on fire.

i have been here on this forum for several years now doing my best to help other members as best i can BUT i dont swear at them, threaten them or just flat out say YOU'RE WRONG. i use terms like "i think you are mistaken or I'd like to see a link to your information" but i never told anyone " i told you 2 times now to fckn open a support ticket"

first off, going around the swear filter like you did is a direct violation of TOS which i don't usually care about but the context you used it in i take offense to and i"m actually embarrassed to be on the same forum as you.

Good day sir....:mad:

I second the motion!

thank you!!

this is the kind of qoute you get from RamGuy when you treat people with respect and kindness...

Synthohol Is not officially working for Corsair but he does and will continue to help our customers (I Hope) and has Ram Guy's Official seal of approval for helping us and you or customers like you.

see the difference incriminal??

I see you referring to noobs for a noob-corp. And only total-noobs are registering here and posting their intelligent questions or self orchestrated problems. ;): you dont have customers, but ignorant noob-fans, that dont know how to install a filesystem or how to plug a cable in and have no sense of quality... corsair is a manufacturer, like AOL is a provider :D: simply lame and cheap, in any demand, just my opinion. i once bought a SSD from this company... and they deeply pull a fast one on my, so this is what they get in return from me until this crap-ssd dies or got bricked by their FW-update. THATS why I enjoy time beeing and coming back, but on some day I will suddenly be gone for good.. You think I care a bann or i would not come back slapping around with some big throuts as long as this Force 3 550mb/s hoax dies. what i post here wouldn't be worth to file a lawsuit. You are wrong, i never threatend anyone except telling somepne to not run into the damage to return a good drive i or sweared at anyone. I just inform to my best knowledge, and I didn't say he might be mistaken to my opinion, because to my opinion he is wrong, and i mean it like i say it.

See the fact is, he is wrong, and fact is i told him two times what to do, nothing you say could change that! Why i think it is fact? Probably I made the effort to ask ASUS in refer to this and got a sophisticating answer ... that was not to refer to corsair ;):

Fact is fckn means fckn and not whatever you think might be a word that you accuse me for falsification. You have no proof. But I give my honest word that i dont care your fckn forum rules or your society at all either on customer or on company side, i just prepare more for noobs, world population of them steady increasing. In any case what would that word be? And if that would be a swearing, then wouldn't it be a swear at the action to open support ticket at ASUS and not a swear at a person. You are totally misinterpreting. I was just annoyed and i not sweared at him.

I was just annoyed by so much ignorance.

If I think someone is wrong, I tell it to him. This is fair-mindedness.

... and I dont care if you all doubt me.

PS: the fact that im not an employee is in my sig btw. and such would never happen for good, because i didn't lost my brain. . . id rather feel myself lucky to clean some toilets, than to get paid to answer these BS-noob-threads here - i would feel ashamed. i do it because it is freaky and you always find someone that is topping the most ignorant/foolish person you ever had.... pure fun. at my work i quote some of the topics here and not a single day passes without great laughter. :D

When I leave you have noone fastly giving the right technical hint, have to stick to your corp instruction and be fckn ultra friendly to whatever ultra-noob tells you: all your fault, your products are BS.... you decide if theirs a problem with how I am or not. Again I searching for some advanced competitions into improving my skill into getting to the problems technical root and solute it efficently in shortest possible time.

My job is technical support for ISP and you might besurprised but i have one of the best rates in fix the problem in first contact, very low contact time and not a single customer was eager when i told him he was wrong, if you dont accept what the root of the problem is, you probably can shout and demand from the corp what you want, when it is not possible, or your problem or caused by other products. Like i once say " when our net or devices caused the problem, the technician is free-of-charge, of cause".. because that corps wants me to at anything anytime, even when i know it's definetly "our" fault... but when they (the costumers) ask what that means i didnt just repeat, but directly tell them: if it is your fault, what i cannot 100% eliminate by distance, then you pay the technician. truth hurts, but at least you cannot say you had no clear warning... i like to tell you the risks clearly, while the compancy wants it to be "sound" like always for-free. better listen carefully oor have a good honest support, nothing more to do, and if you cant get the solution by yourself, stop with your approach and listen to advice of technically skilled persons. just a reocmmendation. maybe harsh in your opinion. all the world is extreme harsh all day everywhere... except goal is to sell something.

The problem with all of you is that you read my text and interprete your emotions, while not sticking to the objective words and even are not interested in real the intention. I can tell you it was meant to help, nothing else,... still you freak out for no reason, claim I intended to be offensive. You are wrong, and this isn't offensive too. You simply say... oh it sounds offensive... so it is offensive. fools. To say someone is wrong is not offending but an simple objective conclusion. you simply dont like me. :D: i dont care about, sry.

I dont have to adopt your way of threating human people with technical problems like slaughter-cattles that are only good to buy my products. i simply not care. thats why my answers are HONEST and not in the interest of corp, thinking about maximising profit all day long... why should i repeat myself on and on and still be friendly... you are the employees.. thats your poor job, you are not allowed to be unfriendly and you are jellous on that as hell... understandable regarding these masses of noobs registering all day to post with their very first post a problem that has been posted 20 times since 2 years. :D:

But in this system, how would you prevent me from re-registering and continuing my journey in this forum if it takes you dozens on pages of my words and monthes of time to find out maybe i was someoone who got banned before... while you not bann me for a proofable reason, but for the "general tone i sound like" - lol, wow must you be hating me.

Yes I might read like an *******e (myself typed 7 times * plus an e, no filter), but in reality, I try to be your friend, but the truth simply sucks. I cannot change that and Im not willing to formulate it with some flowers and rainbows, "there's the solution, take it or leave it", and thats why I said im outta here, because I think ASUS will look into it and provide a UEFI-Update soon, then he would come here and type: Update: I found out it's the UEFI-BIOS and that recent update fixed my problem. :roll: really?

Anything else here is obsolete.

• Corsair Employee

Incriminated,

I think what they are trying to tell you is we dont slam "Noobs" we dont slam anyone here we treat everyone with respect and try to help everyone. Now if they dont listen to the advice we give; then by all means they can do what ever they like. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. And while I have seen some incredibly smart and detailed replies from you I have also see some that were down right rude and on the verge of breaking the forum rules. So

Please can we all just get along?

attachment.php?attachmentid=12907&stc=1&d=1372373808

We really dont want to treat people this way. Its not right and I personally dont like it not to mention you will not gain anyone's respect doing that to other people.::pirate::

seph13

If you have not tried it I would try and use our SSD Toolbox and update the firmware on the drive, and see if that helps. I also agree checking with ASUS for a a controller drievr and or BIOS update. I am using a Neutron GTX on several ASUS MB's and the latest driver for the controller and latest firmware for the drive should solve any issue that I have ran across with this series.

RodneyKing.png.e625c698bb0ceb7118db5aa5ac620945.png

Hey i usually not do that, but im not a machine, i tell you a thing once, i tell you a thing twice, and when you still ignore that and start the same "wrong" stories and search for argues for them, then i think in my opinion that the person is really retarded or that this is meaningful offensive against me, or just play acting stupid! I then just telled he is wrong a third time and i maybe sounded annoyed when repeating a third time that ASUS is correct support... not corsair. You surely can understand that. Im fed up repeating the same advices on and on and get answers like "i dont need to check that", "thats not the problem", "but i havent changed that" or "but it was working that way before".

I have to throw up when i read/hear those... while they communicate there problem to receive an external solution because they failed on their own. . . Im just tired of these, discussion... why not simply answering a feedback on that hint like: Thanks, I asked ASUS just in case....

No... you get answers like "irrelevant because a Crucial is fine" ... from people with no clue about whats going on, just smattering. Why should i argue else than "here is the solution, take it or leave it". It is my fun to find the solution, not to bother convicing anyone to pick it. Thats employees work, that need to convince you that it is not the "great product" fault - "oh and please dont boycot us for this" in the subtext. Im finished when i know whats going on and stated that!

His FW looks actually actual ... (310)

you are rude, demeaning and not a person i would ask for a glass of water if i was on fire

no problem, I just offer and you just burn. clear concience for me, death for you. would not spend a single thought about your dead burned corpse... simply not my fault, i will not empty the glass over the flames, as long as you deny it. .... i think you simply lie, and when you would feel the pain of a flame-burn on your skin, you would take a glas of water from a noob, from me and even a mass-murder, because you only think about your own survival when it comes down to it. thats nature.

In any case that would happen (you in flames, me with a glass of water), now with this prologue - especially you simply asking wouldn't be enough. Only you would have to add "please" to it, because you pretend to be "always friendly" :D:

you even dont know my person, unable to detect my ironic/sarcasm at all, you only know what i post here, but you own the cockiness to assume an imagination of my real-life personality from that... thats weak, high likely wrong, i naturally disrespect such prejudicing behaviour for good, and btw. not to take a glass of water from anyone when burning is a simple epic fail and high likely the last epic fail of your life. i recommend you to preotect your life and take care about not to put it at risks and eliminate direct danger. ;):

Archived