Corsair Community

Force 3 SSD 120 GB AS SSD benchmark "BAD" message

Paul88

Can somebody help me with this AS SSD benchmark BAD messages?

pciide- BAD

31k - BAD

does this mean something is BAD ?

Write speed is terrible.

But Read speed is 676MB/s

Should I do an RMA for a BAD SDD?

Can somebody please explain?

75503207_ASSSDBenchmark.jpg.f0e4aa2a9908cbf8f54da584a3b20642.jpg

1799002440_IDEATAControllers.thumb.jpg.97cac983a1c20cd3d358d75185c5d2d2.jpg

Your SSD is physically fine.

31K - BAD means that the partition isn't aligned. Windows XP doesn't know how to align it correctly for an SSD. This will help: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/113967-ssd-alignment.html

Never seen the other error, but more than likely it's because your SATA port is in IDE mode. Ask the AS SSD developer on that one (or check the help file).

Thanks for the link...it mentions that this can happen from a doing an XP os disk clone... which I did indeed do.

Here is the problem

I did a disk clone because I wanted to save a lot of time to avoid reistalling everything

These instructions from the link:

Diskpart

List disk

Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)

Clean

Create partition primary align=1024

Format fs=ntfs quick

Active (assuming you want to install an OS)

Exit

look like a complete reinstall of the os and all apps...is this true?

Yes unless you can back up your installation to another drive. But before you do that you will need to shrink your partition because when you properly align it you will lose 1MB of space. So, basically you need to shrink your partition, back it up to another drive, perform the Diskpart, then restore the partition to the SSD. Then you'll be aligned and your performance will be better. I went through the exact same thing except with a Windows 7 installation.

1. Yes I can shrink and clone the partition back to a normal HDD using Casper XP. (all one step )

2. I can then use Diskpart on the SSD , and do the alignment, format and activate for an os

3. But how do I restore my original system back on to the SSD ?

Is it a simple copy (this does not normally work), or is there some other way to clone back my original while keeping "Create partition primary align=1024" from diskpart?

Urgent help needed before I get sacked for this imbroglio.

If you buy a Seagate HDD you get Seatools to check HDD health status.

If you buy a Western Digital, you get Data Life Guard diagnostics.

If you buy Corsair Force 3 SSD what specific SSD diagnostics do you get.....? ( Don't tell me nothing please, this is serious )

Diagnostics tests give a level of comfort and helps with system reliability and can predict some forms of hardware failure. It is not the same as AATO benchmarks.

Please help

I have that sinkning feeling about this. Oh no : (

I wouldn't have been worried except that yesterday I found out BY ACCIDENT of a partition realignment error with a "BAD" warning from AS SSD Benchmark. That totally freaked me out. I bet other forum users have this, and could be sitting on a time bomb.

Added to that there have been unexplained random system hangs and delays and really slow write speeds for small fragements under 64k ( Much slower than the Seagate HDD I pulled out for this SSD, and small writes are the majority of writes for business apps, once the app has been loaded.)

So how do I know if it the Corsair Force SSD is in good health while it is working. This could mean the hourly backups could be randomly scrambled... I'm toast. Oh ****. If this server falls over with irrecoverable backups I'm sacked. I can't believe Corsair does not have a diagnostics health checker. I'm going to have to tell.

Wish I hadn't done this now. Can I get a refund? Panick attack, really.

Please do not go around the filter (company name / swearing) as this is against the rules.

The BAD warning has already been discussed. NEITHER has anything to do with a failing drive.

PCIIDE = IDE mode, not AHCI mode in your BIOS.

31K = the partition isn't aligned correctly.

Having said that, Corsair doesn't make enterprise rated SSDs. I'd post over at Petri's enterprise IT forum for suggestions on what to get for your server (link's in my sig as I'm an admin there as well). Tons of great info there. I'm assuming the specs in your profile aren't the server, correct? What OS does it have? What is the primary role of the server?

As for a refund, you'd have to talk to whomever sold it to you.

Sorry about the swearing, I had a panick attack and I am really worried about this implementation.

The Corsair web says:

" ideal choice if you want the speed and reliability advantage that solid-state drives offer over traditional mechanical hard drives."

But how can I be sure now?

This simple PC is not a Server 2008 and we cannot afford full blown enterprise HP Proliant servers and HP support contracts. This is a small business operation, and a simple XP OS file server which can easily support five or more staff on a network drive for central file storage/VPN internet access and backup. It has worked flawlessly for many years with a normal off the shelf HDD ( not entreprise rated, no RAID redundancy,but well diagnosed, backed up and cloned in case of failure ) . The new SSD's were supposed to improve performance and reliability as the ageing HDD's were exceeding MTBF lifespan and represented a reliability risk. This is the middle ground between home PC and enterprise level, which thousands of small business operate at.

Does anybody here understand the risk without proper diagnostics, or is it just me?

Please post a comment if you think it is important.

Does anybody here understand the risk without proper diagnostics, or is it just me?
Definitely a fair point.

This is the middle ground between home PC and enterprise level, which thousands of small business operate at.
Yup, I consult with many SMBs (albeit none are using a consumer OS for their server). There's a wide variety of topics I could bring up on this topic, but Petri is a better forum for that. In short, I'd probably recommend a couple of HDDs in RAID 1/5/6 (depending on budgetary concerns) instead of one consumer SSD, even if they're consumer HDDs. Even if a drive fails, you'll still be functional.

Since that looks to be a 6+ year old desktop PC, there's other failure concerns as well. Depending on what functions the server does, you may be better off with a simple NAS (freeNAS, Synology, QNAS, etc) to store the files on and do DNS / DHCP / VPN / etc. with. You can also get SMB servers at economical prices nowadays, and it would be significantly faster.

You technically may not even need a server. I know of one small company that uses some SMB networking equipment for the networking side and Dropbox for file storage (not the most secure idea in the world, but it is what it is for now), and Office 365 for Exchange.

Thanks so much for the link, that saved me hours of interpretation

This link explains my situation exactly.. it appears that older cloning software cannot optimise (or recognise) the partitions from HDD to SSD. I have put a request to Casper XP to see if they have newer software that fixes partition alignments in SSD's.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/22769

Moving forward now

ok solved...

It was the old cloning software that could not optimise partitions conversion from HDD to SSD

Casper 7 fixed it, infact I could reclone the SSD again to another SSD and it fixed it.

The pciide BAD is as you explained it... the IDE SATA 2 (not AHCI ) is considered bad. The same error appears for a standard Seagate HDD on the other SATA 2 cable

This error goes away with the same SSD in USB 3.0 mode, since AS SSD accept USB SSD as acceptable.

Since the DC 7600 has no AHCI mode, I will be lookig for a SATA 3 6bs RAID for the PCI slot.

LSI/Adaptec look promising

Any ideas please?

Archived