Corsair Community

MSI KT6V-LSR and Corsair Value Select 512mb3200

peterlo

Having problems running a stable system with the following config:

MSI KT6V-LSR mobo

PowerUp 400W powersupply

Mushkin Blue Line 256MB DDR PC-3200/Cas Latency: 2-3-3/Support Voltage: 2.6V

And Corsair Value Select 512mb pc3200.

System locks up, bluescreens, and applications fail to run. When I removed the Mushkin and just used the Corsair, my computer total shut down after about an hour and I could not power on my system for about 5 minutes. I thought I had fried something but after waiting a while and unplugging the power the computer started up. I have yet to run memtest on the Corsair....the Mushkin checks out fine. I think the issue is with the Corsair ram because even by itself I couldn't run a stable system. Please advise. Thanks!

Reset the CMOS, then stick in ONLY the VS memory.

Okay, did that and the computer system has been running stable for a couple hours. However, does this mean I can't add the 256mb Mushkin?

Also, in the bios, under Frequency and Voltage, the cpu host clock is reading 100mhz. I previously had it at 133mhz as well as the host clock speed under Dram timing at 133mhz. What is the correct clock speed?

On a side note, after I reset the cmos, windows hardware profiler is reading my AMD 2200 as an AMD 1500, any clues why?

Thanks for your help so far!

-peter

My computer seemed to run stable at 133mhz (at this setting the cpu reads correctly as an amd xp 2200-1.8ghz), so I threw in the Mushkin and after a few minutes(during a dvd rip) it went blue-screen.

I'm now testing both rams with the clock speed set back down to 100mhz. (The cpu reads as an xp 1500 - 1.4ghz) So far no hang-ups, but my cpu has to run slower at 1.4ghz. Is this a fair trade-off? Maybe I should overclock to squeeze out what i lost or is this not much of a difference? I have a feeling overclocking may be asking for more trouble. If its of any importance, memory voltage has been 2.6V, AGP 1.55V, Vcore 1.6V.

Thanks for the quick replies!

That might suggest some other problem, please test the module by it self and I would set the memory frequency at DDR333 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 volts and then run http://www.memtest.org.

I'll test that config tonight. But, correct me if i am wrong, wouldn't my mem frequency and fsb be in asynchronous mode? My cpu's specification is 266mhz FSB, so wouldn't this ratio destablilize my computer?

Thanks

-peter

Yes it can; best performance would be at DDR266 with this CPU but to stress the memory running one module at a time this will help isolate the memory.

My computer won't even power on with those settings. So I ran memtest on the ram (at 133) for little over an hour with no errors.

Archived