Corsair Community

Windows 7 Hangs on Boot when Link is Plugged into USB

dpotter

Hi Ensor,

Yes I plugged it into the motherboard.

It is an ASUS P9X79 PRO with the latest BIOS.

Like I said I have to hit reset once or twice for windows 7 to get past the point just prior to the log in screen.

If I unplung the Link it boots just fine.

I have also update all the firmware on the link and re installed it a few times.

It is coming close to where I might just not use the link as booting up is preferable.

Sounds a bit like a driver issue. Perhaps you can try to get it booted with the Commander attached, then go into device manager and uninstall the driver.

Reboot and see if it gets better. Else we'll have to wait for suggestions from Corsair. ;):

• 2 weeks later...
turn off boot from external device in the bios. its a bios thing not the drive. all my external drives did the same regardless of hdd or flash.

and it was on an asus m2n32-sli deluxe.

Excellent suggestion. Let us know if this works. I have seen the same thing before. ::pirate::

My other external drives on the usb motherboard header work fine. If I move them to this header they also work fine, meaning windows boots no issues. It is intermittent, this morning I had to restart as it hang. This evening I did not, booted straight into windows. about a 60-40 split on the hangs.

I am giving up on this and yanking it out of my system this weekend. I am tired of having to unplug it from the usb just to boot my machine.

If someone wants my my unit for cheap let me know.

I dont think I will buy anymore corsair products in the future. I know it is bleeding edge but I have bleed to much.

if you can try the same scenario on another PC if it boots fine it has to be a setting in your bios causing the bootlag.

True enough, but I think it's the obligation of the vendor to do sufficient testing to identify such issues. E.g. "Before you install this product, be sure to change the BIOS setting XXX to ABCD."

I realize that's a lot of work, and maybe Corsair should regard early customers as "involuntary" beta testers, and provide beta-test level support. Just my opinion, of course.

Archived