Corsair Community

Fan control with Jcorsair Header on MSI

todayman12

So i'm trying to have a unified RGB system this upcoming build. Currently using the MSI Z390 Meg Ace mobo. It has a 5v, 12v and a Corsair headers. *(JRGB1, JRGB2, JRAINBOW, JCORSAIR1)

My question is on that (Jcorsair1) slot on my mobo. Is there a way I can control multiple fans rpm and RGB in one software? I know you control Corsair RGB products through MSI Mystic but what about fan control? Is it possible to use 9 corsair fans in one build and have it all be synced via Mobo bios / software?

I saw the HardwareCanucks*Vid ([ame]

[/ame]) and I can see how he controls six here, so would having Msi use the Corsair header improve on this in any way?*

I'm just not sure if it's possible to have mystic control 9 lights and maybe have the other msi software to control/monitor each fans rpm

MSI has two different apps to control Mystic Light and fan speed ... so you could use one software suite. The challenge is 9 fans ... only 6 can go on an RGB LED Fan Hub. The possible solution for that would be to get a fan hub splitter - it would duplicate the signal from the JCORSAIR header to two different fan hubs.

MSI has two different apps to control Mystic Light and fan speed ... so you could use one software suite. The challenge is 9 fans ... only 6 can go on an RGB LED Fan Hub. The possible solution for that would be to get a fan hub splitter - it would duplicate the signal from the JCORSAIR header to two different fan hubs.

This is definitely do-able, would a commander pro help at all in this case?

The Commander Pro would give you 2 Lighting Channels so you wouldn't need a fan hub splitter. It would also let you control the fans from iCUE, giving you more variables for your fan curves, including the built-in thermistors. The Lighting Node Pro that came with your ML-RGB fans would also control both fan hubs but wouldn't give you fan speed control.

this is straight from the manuel https://imgur.com/a/LF51ohY so youre saying that I should get a splitter and another fan hub?

I was reading the manual more and it does state 6 fans is the maximum, that the connector itself can control control. Does this mean that only 6 fans get mystic control? would i need corsair software to control the RGB on the remaining three fans ?

Six fans is the maximum for one RGB Fan LED Hub.

However, with a Fan Hub Splitter, you can put two fan hubs on that JCORSAIR header. It's not "official" and it's not supported - which is why it isn't in the manual - but it does work and work well. That's really the only option with a single JCORSAIR header.

If you want to control all 9 fans from a single Lighting Channel (like the JCORSAIR header), that's how you do it. Otherwise, you can use a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro, put each fan hub on a separate channel (each of those have two), and then configured them with iCUE.

This gives me hope, I'm assuming that using the splitter, have the first hub 1,2,3,4,5,6 and on the second hub only 1,2,3. Does this mean that both sets of "1,2,3" would display the same colors?

Not sure if it would go to 7,8,9. Also the corsair fan hub i've seen only supports HD/SP RGB Fans, No mention of the LL on the product page. However the manual itself support LL. What parts do I need here? could you link them for me??

Also thank you for answering my questions, I looked at some older threads around this same topic and you seem to have been in all those threads as well.

This gives me hope, I'm assuming that using the splitter, have the first hub 1,2,3,4,5,6 and on the second hub only 1,2,3. Does this mean that both sets of "1,2,3" would display the same colors?

That is correct. You might want to put them 1,2,3,4 and 1,2,3,4,5 ... to keep them balanced. But that's up to you. Also, keep in mind that you actually lose a lot of control using Mystic Light vs iCUE. With Mystic Light, you essential set an effect for the JCORSAIR channel ... you can't control individual fans or LEDs like you can with iCUE. Not sure if that matters to you but thought I'd mention it.

Not sure if it would go to 7,8,9. Also the corsair fan hub i've seen only supports HD/SP RGB Fans, No mention of the LL on the product page. However the manual itself support LL. What parts do I need here? could you link them for me??

It's the same Fan Hub for all of the RGB LED fans. There is no LL or ML specific fan hub. The Corsair product page doesn't mention anything about fan types ... so where are you seeing that?

Also thank you for answering my questions, I looked at some older threads around this same topic and you seem to have been in all those threads as well.

No problem! Glad to help out. And make sure to check out Zotty's RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880.

You asked this same question on Reddit too, yes?

So I just saw all your videos for your iCue tutorials on youtube, and now I'm leaning towards just using the 9 fans + PSU and having it all be controlled via iCue. The JCorsair header is great but i'm looking for complete control, I hope iCue support will be available through the header. I did see a corsair employee on these forums talking about future 'support' for the that header but who knows when that will happen.

My problem is I can follow the advanced corsair iCue setup diagram and get the 6 fans under control but I'm gonna be using a Coolermaster Radiator (ML360R). I'm just attaching corsair fans to it, would I need another commander pro to control those 3 fans?

iCUE will definitely give you much better control compared to Mystic Light.

With the Commander Pro, you can use 2-way splitters and put 9 fans on a single CoPro - that will work fine even though it's technically not supported. DO NOT use 3-way splitters. Two shall be the splitting of the fans and the splitting of the fans shall be two. Three is right out.

Unfortunately, that cooler doesn't have a built-in controller. What I would suggest with the Commander Pro is that you use one of the thermistors that comes with the CoPro and put that in the exhaust airflow from the radiator. This will actually give you a pretty good indication of the coolant temperature (it'll be within a degree or so). That will be a better control variable for the radiator fan speed than the CPU temperature.

Could i just connect the third set into the usb on the board?

Third set of what? I'm sorry ... you lost me here.

Also could you link a good 2-way splitter?

For fan PWM control? Really, you can get any splitter available from Amazon or NewEgg. I don't think I've ever had an issue with them.

• 1 year later...
... you can't control individual fans or LEDs like you can with iCUE. Not sure if that matters to you but thought I'd mention it.

I know this is an old thread, but I found it from googling the same question about the JCORSAIR header and what exactly it entails.

Is the quoted part above still true? Wanted to check, or if this has changed in the last year.

TIA, on my first build...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it from googling the same question about the JCORSAIR header and what exactly it entails.

Is the quoted part above still true? Wanted to check, or if this has changed in the last year.

TIA, on my first build...

Yes, it is.