Corsair Community

Memory not working properly

badass

Im currently running with the equipment set in my profile.

An Asus A8N-SLi Premium (BIOS 1007) with an AMD 3500+ (Venice core)

Memory as follows: CMX256A-3200C2 * 2 + TWINX1024-3200C2PT *2

GFX is ATI X800 GT.

Problem is the following. When running with both of the memory at the same time the system sometimes starts POST but freezes. With the 512MB DIMMS in the first channel and 256 in the second channel it sometimes POST and I can enter the BIOS to make changes. Ive tried all settings from 2-6-6 to 2.5 and upwards. Ive ran on AUTO settings (by SPD). But still no go. Sometimes it starts loading XP but freezes with some strange error. Often NTLRD is missing. If i remove either the 512 meggers or the 256 meggers it starts fine.

I can run both the dimms by themself without any problems but when combining the 256 and 512 there is where the problem starts...

So my question is how shall I configure my setup so I can utilize all of my 1.5GB of RAM? And howcome the 256MB is specified for CAS 2.5 on AMD systems?

With Regards

You won't be able to mix the RAM.

Just use the TWINX1024-3200C2PT.

But why not? Its the same latency and the same clockfrequency? I bought the slower TWINX just to be able to use my old 3200 :( Specs of the memory is almost identical.

There must be some setting which allow me to use both at the same time?

But why not? Its the same latency and the same clockfrequency? I bought the slower TWINX just to be able to use my old 3200 :( Specs of the memory is almost identical.

There must be some setting which allow me to use both at the same time?

Although they are both PC3200 with the same timings, the IC's on each set is probably different which is causing the problems.

I'd recommend finding another TWINX1024-3200C2 set with the "same" Version#

as what you have now.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=38145

Strange, this is the first time ive experienced something like this. Typical when I go for the high quality memory I get compability issues. Ive got tons of noname /nonbranded memory that works fine together...Just as long as they fall back to the same PCXXXX setting they work. But corsair...no. I am going to contact Asus and see what support they can offer me on this. If the case is like you stated I can guarantee you that I will never ever buy another Corsair DIMM.

But corsair...no. I am going to contact Asus and see what support they can offer me on this. If the case is like you stated I can guarantee you that I will never ever buy another Corsair DIMM

Did you find out what the Version# is on each set?

You would need to post this for a definate answer.

From your specs, you list TWINX1024 and 2 256MB sticks.(non TWINX)

You could have three different Version#s going on.

If this turns out to be the case, the Asus will be of little help or tell you the same thing.

Good Luck!

Asus isn't going to be able to help. The reqirement for matching ic's on ram sticks is a function of the memory controller located on your Amd processor. Previously, you could add different version number sticks (ie. different ic's) to a sytem because the memory controller was located in the northbridge chip on the motherboard and it would add clock cycles to memory read/write operations to make up for the missmatched ic's. In order to achieve extremely low latencies at the highest clock speeds the Amd memory controller will not add clock cycles to make up for missmatched sticks (ie. missmatched ic's on the sticks).You may be able to get the two pairs to run together by manually adding time (clock cycles) by lowering your speed to 333 or 266 mghz, probably isn't worth the speed hit though. This isn't a Corsair brand ram problem. Due to the Amd memory controller being very picky about matching ic's on the ram sticks, ANY and ALL brands of ram will fail either to run at all or run at top rated speed, depending on how missmatched the ic's are making up the different sticks. I've gotten mismatched pairs to run together but only at 266 mghz and I was suprised they would run together at all.

Asus isn't going to be able to help. The reqirement for matching ic's on ram sticks is a function of the memory controller located on your Amd processor. Previously, you could add different version number sticks (ie. different ic's) to a sytem because the memory controller was located in the northbridge chip on the motherboard and it would add clock cycles to memory read/write operations to make up for the missmatched ic's. In order to achieve extremely low latencies at the highest clock speeds the Amd memory controller will not add clock cycles to make up for missmatched sticks (ie. missmatched ic's on the sticks).You may be able to get the two pairs to run together by manually adding time (clock cycles) by lowering your speed to 333 or 266 mghz, probably isn't worth the speed hit though. This isn't a Corsair brand ram problem. Due to the Amd memory controller being very picky about matching ic's on the ram sticks, ANY and ALL brands of ram will fail either to run at all or run at top rated speed, depending on how missmatched the ic's are making up the different sticks. I've gotten mismatched pairs to run together but only at 266 mghz and I was suprised they would run together at all.

I stand enlightened; I wish to apologize for my harsh statement earlier. I will check the version numbers on the TWINX-modules as soon as I have the opportunity to turn of my machine. I should have googled more before I started this thread. Thanks for your patience guys and girls.

I have 4 same modules (2 pairs of TWINX1024-3200C2).

With my A8V-Deluxe and Athlon 64 x2 4400+, Default memory frequency is 333MHz.

The only way to run at 400MHz is to force "2:1 200MHz " parameter. In this case memtest86+ detects errors.

No solution.

Asus says in manual that CMX512-3200C2 is qualified memory for 4 modules configuration !!??!!??

• Corsair Employee

Please note that we cannot guarantee more than one set of TWINX memory to work in any system. There is a limitation with the Athlon 64 which causes the memory controller which is built on to the CPU to run memory at DDR333 when more than 2 banks are filled. This is a limitation on the processor (memory controller) itself and not the memory. The basic steps you can take to attempt to get past this are as follows:

1. Upgrade to the latest BIOS available for your motherboard which can be found at the website of your mainboard company.

2. Set the Memory Frequency to DDR400 (200mhz) manually while setting the command rate of the memory (found in memory configuration) to "2T".

3. Make sure the memory voltage is set to at least 2.8 when running 4 modules.

Let us know if this helps!

Archived