The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.11 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM
SuperConker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744430
SuperConker Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
To group Seasonic and Super Flower into the same category as a Flextronics built Corsair is laughable and shows ignorance.
Well, Corsair do use both Seasonic and Flextronics in their high-end PSU's (AX and AXi)
so don't think that's being ignorant, just lack of knowledge.

And by that statement i take it the regular AX PSU's are low quality PSU's compared to AXi, wich could be true seeing as my AX860 went up in smoke for no apparent reason lol.

Last edited by SuperConker; 11-30-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744444
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Despite what some may think, the word "ignorant" does not mean stupid. The very definition of ignorant is "lacking knowledge".

And, yes. AX is inferior to AXi in more ways than just the DSP. Even if Seasonic could do DSP, they still would not have been chosen for a halo product line.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 PM
SuperConker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744453

Aah, always thought of "ignorant" as knowing the facts, just choosing to ignore them (hence beeing ignorant), more so than not knowing them (lack of knowledge) hehe.

Anyways, i myself would be happy with a working PSU with so-called "tier 2" caps in a non-Crucial part of the PSU, over the not so good sibling (AX860).

Last edited by SuperConker; 11-30-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744455
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

A denialist? That would be someone that would be presented with the factsm but chooses not to believe them.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:30 PM

POST ID # = 744458
Harima Reputation: 10

Jonnyguru,

Are the capxon caps still being used in AX860i?

"AX is inferior to AXi in more ways than just the DSP. Even if Seasonic could do DSP, they still would not have been chosen for a halo product line."

Can you explain a bit more on this statement?

Last edited by Harima; 11-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 PM
SuperConker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744459

I would go with the AX860i, simply because it's overall a safer PSU.
You can see my thread if you want to know why :P

Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 744461

Has the cap "situation" changed? Probably not as all of the AXi units currently in the channel predate the discovery of this CapXon cap.

Can I explain how a Flextronix built AXi is superior to a Seasonic built AX? I dunno.. Can you explain how a Yugo is inferior to a BMW? I can, but it would be more of an article than a forum post. Next time I'm over there, I'll be sure to take pictures.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 PM

POST ID # = 746315
ffcarvalho Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Has the cap "situation" changed? Probably not as all of the AXi units currently in the channel predate the discovery of this CapXon cap.

Can I explain how a Flextronix built AXi is superior to a Seasonic built AX? I dunno.. Can you explain how a Yugo is inferior to a BMW? I can, but it would be more of an article than a forum post. Next time I'm over there, I'll be sure to take pictures.
What´s the situation with the AX1500i? Does it have CapXon caps? I was thinkink of buying one and found this thread.

I think the corsair guys here should cool down. It´s not good to see you treating your customers with disrespect. People who bought your PSUs based on reviews are unhappy because what they got is different then what they were expecting.

And that´s why I´m asking about the AX1500i prior to ordering it.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 746326

AX1500i is all Japanese brand electrolytics.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:00 PM

POST ID # = 746685
gigabert Reputation: 10

I got my AX860i and its full of capXcon polymers. But hey I don't give a ***.

Because the funny thing is, i always wanted to know if the polys are really any better.

So that's the chance. Its got warranty…

7 years?

The clock is ticking...

Old 12-02-2018, 05:15 PM

POST ID # = 983223
Danidasanic Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigabert View Post
I got my AX860i and its full of capXcon polymers. But hey I don't give a ***.

Because the funny thing is, i always wanted to know if the polys are really any better.

So that's the chance. Its got warranty…

7 years?

The clock is ticking...
Mine is dead after 5 years and 11 months ... I can assure you that isnt fun

Almost 6 years of light use , reaching aroung 50% load once for a few minutes in the entire life of this psu ...not what i was expecting for this price tag , and now i will spend more time and money to send it back

Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM

POST ID # = 987591
warnings Reputation: 10

Mine ax860i from 2017 have Capxon capacitors on this part : http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...AX860i-054.jpg

And the big capacitors near comm port and self test button is a Taicon or something like that can't read whole name. Green and black with the standard top cap not a rubycon or reliable brand.

From Sanyo to Capxon brand know everywhere in the world for these bad caps but some people continue to buy these capacitors. And from Rubycon to Taicon or something like that...
What is the difference of price for 1x Rubycon/Sanyo/Chemicon capacitor and the same from Capxon ? 0.01$ per cap on 10'000 caps or even less ?
List is here and always the same name appear : http://www.capacitorlab.com/low-esr-...manufacturers/

Corsair is know by me for improve their products and put bigger/more reliable capacitors not for take low bad brand capacitor know name...

EDIT : @jonnyguru : can you ask a power supply from Corsair to made the same test and check if all of these bad capactiors really affect nothing ?
They are too much bad cap right now for not affect anything. It's the main source of problem the bad capacitors in whole electronics.

Last edited by warnings; 12-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:08 AM

POST ID # = 987667
XG2703-GS Reputation: 10

I’m supposed to build a system for a friend and I was including the AX psu series. Should I be going for the AX860 by Seasonic instead of the AX860I or was the AX860 also affected by the same capacitor problem?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:59 AM

POST ID # = 987790
warnings Reputation: 10

I try to look on my AX860 let me a little time. The bad thing it's end user haven't the right to open the power supply.
And corsair (or OEM) isn't fair and change/hide bad components inside the power supply and we have no way/right to view these change without void warranty. It's legal to hide bad components and not let the end user view the change inside the power supply without void warranty ?

March 2013 : AX860i ~220$ (High brand japanese capactior from reviewer may be never reach mass production)
December 2018 : AX860i ~250$ (A lot of capxon for end user !!!)
Price isn't an argument because the price increasing from 2013. (Cheapest march-august 2014 at about 200$)

But it's the way now send calibrated monitor/golden electronic sample for reviewer. Win a very good review and manufacture lower quality to mass production for end customer. That's very bad.
Samsung do exactly the same thing even for enterprise and when you ask an explanation say that's come from the cable. Result no more Samsung.

Corsair now you know that your high end product contain know worlwide bad caps.
You're going to take steps to correct that or is it voluntary ?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:41 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987851

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnings View Post
I try to look on my AX860 let me a little time. The bad thing it's end user haven't the right to open the power supply.
And corsair (or OEM) isn't fair and change/hide bad components inside the power supply and we have no way/right to view these change without void warranty. It's legal to hide bad components and not let the end user view the change inside the power supply without void warranty ?

March 2013 : AX860i ~220$ (High brand japanese capactior from reviewer may be never reach mass production)
December 2018 : AX860i ~250$ (A lot of capxon for end user !!!)
Price isn't an argument because the price increasing from 2013. (Cheapest march-august 2014 at about 200$)

But it's the way now send calibrated monitor/golden electronic sample for reviewer. Win a very good review and manufacture lower quality to mass production for end customer. That's very bad.
Samsung do exactly the same thing even for enterprise and when you ask an explanation say that's come from the cable. Result no more Samsung.

Corsair now you know that your high end product contain know worlwide bad caps.
You're going to take steps to correct that or is it voluntary ?
Corsair knows exactly what caps are in that PSU. Where the Taicon and CapXon caps are used are very low stress areas. No PSUs have been returned on RMA due to the failure of those particular capacitors.

Closed Thread