Corsair Community

H100 CPU Waterblock won't fit on my cpu socket!

Q9650

I just got my h100 and after installing it i noticed that the cpu/pump waterblock is not making full contact on my q9650 cpu! the copper plate is touch/seating on some solid state capacitors which are near my cpu socket!!

The thermal paste was only touching the cpu slightly which explains why my cpu overheated!

Is there anything i can do to fix this? i need to modify the copperplate to make some room for the nearby caps so the copperplate can seat 100% on the cpu. I know doing this will void the warranty but hey it just arrived and i need to run this cooler!

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P

I was running the H70 which it`s cpu block is smaller and fits fine around the cpu area (does not touch the caps) but the h100 cpu block is larger! (Rectangular Shape)

NOTE: The yellow line is showing where the cpu copper plate is making contact with the caps.

please help me!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vvp6ow.png

This is the area (shown in red) which i need to remove/cut on the copperplate to fully seat on my cpu

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zp2yz7.jpg

ISSUE SOLVED !! :D: Rotated the cpu block 90 degrees! Everything is fine now!

OK folks!!! I just turned the waterblock 90 degrees and it sits perfectly fine on the cpu!.

Thankfully i was lucky enough as i was very pissed off!! right now i am starting to check the temps compared to my old h70. let the fun begin!!!

ISSUE SOLVED !! :D: Rotated the cpu block 90 degrees! Everything is fine now!

I had this exact same problem tonight with what appears to be the exact same mainboard. I had an H60 though. I went through the same sequence and am running push/pull setup w/ fans. Still got idle temps around 55-60C. This is about the same as my Zalman air cooled sink was getting me.

Even after turning the block 90 degrees, I'm questioning how secure the contact is w/ the CPU because the 4 legs to the block BARELY squeezed over the posts. The legs are at the end of their slot, so even after tightening the thing down, I don't even know if it's possible to get the block to pull down against the CPU very hard. Clearly it must be at least partially touching or I'd be overheating again like I did when I went through the first iteration (before I turned it).

I wish I would have seen a warning about how tight the 775 fit was and also about the Gigabyte caps before buying. :(

Clearly it must be at least partially touching or I'd be overheating again like I did when I went through the first iteration (before I turned it).

That is correct. Any chance you can post a pic of your install? Fromwhat you have described it sounds like it's mounted okay. But just in case....

I wish I would have seen a warning about how tight the 775 fit was and also about the Gigabyte caps before buying. :(

This is something that has just surfaced in the last couple of weeks. It's not really Corsair's fault though (at least the way i look at it) It's nearly impossible for them to test their products on EVERY MB out there. I dont understand why Gigabyte would stray away from normal form factor and put their caps so close to the sockets. They seem to be the only 775 socket MB's that have this issue.

You can always return it to the reseller if you are not happy with it too if you are still within your return policy's allotted time

@jenos.............for me with my Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P the h100 is working perfectly fine and getting nice temps altough i will achieve far better temps when the summer ends! (too hot here in malta!) The h100 mounting on the socket 775 cpu seems fine for me as i tested it 4 times with the tim (I use AC MX4) and it was spreaded allover the cpu ihs soo i don`t see any problem there. Just rotate your cpu/pump block 90 degrees like i did (see above photos) and your good to go!

Ok... so I'll take some pics tonight as I think I'm going to pull the block anyway to make sure it's made contact w/ the whole cpu after turning it. I just gotta have that peace of mind. I suppose I could add more thermal paste to ensure contact surface too, but that just doesn't feel like a good idea.

• Corsair Employee

Q9650

This thread has been stuck and would apply to most MB's using this same chipset from most manufacturers as they are all using the same type of design. It would also be the same for H60, H80 and H100 coolers.

That is correct. Any chance you can post a pic of your install? Fromwhat you have described it sounds like it's mounted okay. But just in case....

This is something that has just surfaced in the last couple of weeks. It's not really Corsair's fault though (at least the way i look at it) It's nearly impossible for them to test their products on EVERY MB out there. I dont understand why Gigabyte would stray away from normal form factor and put their caps so close to the sockets. They seem to be the only 775 socket MB's that have this issue.

You can always return it to the reseller if you are not happy with it too if you are still within your return policy's allotted time

I could return it I suppose, but for a restocking fee and shipping (got it from Newegg). I do put some of this responsibility on Corsair... I looked at some Intel 775 mainboards today that had similar cap distances to the socket. Additionally, I can't help but notice that other heat sinks have a smaller footprint (at least at the lowest point) precisely for this purpose. I don't know this for sure, but I would assume that 775 standard specifications are out there somewhere that must dictate that capacitor height and distance to be kosher. Most heat sinks that advertise 775 compatibility actually fit fine.

Aside from the waterblock itself not fitting on my board, the 4 posts themselves were almost too small of a square for the waterblock legs to squeeze over. The slots in the legs just weren't long enough to accommodate, and it was *really* tight going down over them the first time. (think thread-mashing tight)

Took the waterblock off today to inspect contact, and it appeared to have touched the full surface but I'm not sure if it had sufficient downpressure to squeeze any air pockets out effectively. I was planning to take a picture but wife disappeared w/ the camera somewhere.

I ordered a 25mmx25mmx1.5mm copper shim today that I may try sticking in there. It may even allow me to turn it back in it's original orientation w/o hitting the caps. I just was uncomfortable with how close the whole block came to resting completely on the 4 posts without being tightened down. I'd sure be happier if Corsair decided to provide me with a shim that they designed or approved of though.

Another question that occurred to me as I installed originally was how extremely light the whole apparatus was considering I expected it to be filled with fluid. It "felt" empty. So how would one verify the health of one of these closed loop units? How do I know it's got sufficient cooling fluid to cool effectively? My idle temps are around 57C (ambient is 26), I think this is worse than when I used my Zalman 9700 on air.

Something just ain't right here.

I am overclocked from 2.4 to 3.2 w/ my Q6600, but that was the case w/ the Zalman too.

If I end up sticking my Zalman back on, I'll do some more comprehensive tests and post them.

thanks for the comments-

Jeremy

Have you compared the temps under load as water coolers do not normally perform any better than good air coolers until under load can use prime 95 to stress CPU and record temps both with H100 and your Zalman cooler.

I expect the H100 will result in much lower load temps which is the important thing. But will have similar idle temps.

I have an H60 on a q6600 CPU not over-clocked. Idle temps are 35 -38 deg. but load temps under stress testing never get more than 50deg. My stock air cooler was 52 deg even on idle and got to 75 under load so very happy with results.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Corsair should take some tips from Thermaltake and mount the hoses at the bottom of the block so that they can properly swivel from left to right for people who want/need to mount the radiator the other way. Plus, there's more room at the top and bottom of the CPU with the capacitors being further away from the socket.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the same problem on ASUS Z87-Pro with Corsair H80i, the backplate is loosing which cannot fix on the motherboard. Therefore, the water pump cannot fixed on the CPU. Many people indcated this problem but Corsair did not think this is a problem.

This is a very good demonstration about the problem, I think Yellowbeard - Corsair Tech Mktg, had watch it so many times:

Help me to fix the problem, it is an expensive equipment.

Handle this problem with care and seriously.

IMG_3125_1.thumb.JPG.c3a9feae7dbd2eb90f0c4c6dca17d0f7.JPG

IMG_3128_1.thumb.JPG.64204fe6415824495f807d7fb92bec18.JPG

Archived