Corsair Community

H100i High Cpu Temp

dareios21

i have a gigabyte z 170 gaming x MB and have set an auto OC for my i7 7700 at 4600mhz from 4200mhz stock. Nothing special. Everything auto.

However this summer cpu temp on battlefield 1 2k resolution all full i get 90 celcius cpu average and cpu thermal throttling because sometimes it peaks on 100!!.

Cpu max Vcore was 1.33max and average 1.3 on full load on that game.

My 1080 from msi also is a little oced but nothing special either. GPU temp 78.

My radiator fans are below radiator on the top of the tower and blowing air out.

Cant find why i get that temps. CPU idle at 45-50

h100i pump is at 2100-2300rpm and fans are on performance or balance. Liquid temp on full load around 45 celcius.

Cooling system is almost 3 years old. Is it probably end of life? Liquid inside is gone? What can i do?

Thank you

First, "everything auto" is usually not a recipe for cool operation, especially when overclocking. Reset your CPU to stock clocks and see what your temps are.

Second, your coolant temperature is pretty high. My guess, right now, is that you have an airflow issue in the case and your coolant is actually being warmed by the waste heat from the GPU. We've seen this pretty often on the forum. Getting those coolant temperatures down should help with the CPU temperature a bit. What does the rest of your cooling system look like? Do you have any way to measure the internal case temperature?

Can you run a CPU only stress test to take the GPU out of the equation? Something mild like Intel XTU or AIDA will do and 5-10 min is plenty for a quick check. I would expect the coolant to go up about +6C. If you are seeing large increases, that suggests some type of cooler issue.

Is this the old square block H100i? Or the more recent H100i GTX/V2 with the hexagonal block?

i have a gigabyte z 170 gaming x MB and have set an auto OC for my i7 7700 at 4600mhz from 4200mhz stock. Nothing special. Everything auto.

However this summer cpu temp on battlefield 1 2k resolution all full i get 90 celcius cpu average and cpu thermal throttling because sometimes it peaks on 100!!.

Cpu max Vcore was 1.33max and average 1.3 on full load on that game.

My 1080 from msi also is a little oced but nothing special either. GPU temp 78.

My radiator fans are below radiator on the top of the tower and blowing air out.

Cant find why i get that temps. CPU idle at 45-50

h100i pump is at 2100-2300rpm and fans are on performance or balance. Liquid temp on full load around 45 celcius.

Cooling system is almost 3 years old. Is it probably end of life? Liquid inside is gone? What can i do?

Thank you

I have had this too. 1 year into my first unit. My 1600X was always under 60C when gaming using the cooler on DEFAULT profile. Suddenly started to notice 70C then 80 a few weeks later... Then major throttling of the CPU speed.

I remounted with new paste and all that jazz. Still the same issue. You could see it immediately. Start a game... clock speed 3.7 GHz. 1 minute later temps around 80C and clocks down to 3.0 and then below 3.0. Pump claimed it was full blast. Fans were spinning great. You would think it was functioning normally. Turns out the pump was gonzo. Put in a ticket and they RMA'd under warranty with me. Sent a new unit! I had to pay for return shipping but I was fine with that.

C.

I have had this too. 1 year into my first unit. My 1600X was always under 60C when gaming using the cooler on DEFAULT profile. Suddenly started to notice 70C then 80 a few weeks later... Then major throttling of the CPU speed.

I remounted with new paste and all that jazz. Still the same issue. You could see it immediately. Start a game... clock speed 3.7 GHz. 1 minute later temps around 80C and clocks down to 3.0 and then below 3.0. Pump claimed it was full blast. Fans were spinning great. You would think it was functioning normally. Turns out the pump was gonzo. Put in a ticket and they RMA'd under warranty with me. Sent a new unit! I had to pay for return shipping but I was fine with that.

C.

I don't think that's been ruled out as a possibility; c-attacks questions and steps are intended to help us determine if it's the pump going bad or environmental issues. We have seen A LOT of environmental issues causing high coolant temps ... if that's the case, replacing under RMA won't help.

I don't think that's been ruled out as a possibility; c-attacks questions and steps are intended to help us determine if it's the pump going bad or environmental issues. We have seen A LOT of environmental issues causing high coolant temps ... if that's the case, replacing under RMA won't help.

Sorry I am not assuming they are all like that. :)

Fastest way to tell? Put your old Air cooler back on (if you own one - thanksfully I did) and if the Throttling goes away and a reasonable temp is maintained... It's not the system. Put the AIO back on with fresh paste. Try both the performance profile and default profile and you have throttling of the CPU again? Dead pump. Just my guess.

Charles.

Sorry I am not assuming they are all like that. :)

Fastest way to tell? Put your old Air cooler back on (if you own one - thanksfully I did) and if the Throttling goes away and a reasonable temp is maintained... It's not the system. Put the AIO back on with fresh paste. Try both the performance profile and default profile and you have throttling of the CPU again? Dead pump. Just my guess.

Charles.

Actually ... not exactly.

Turn the system off and let it cool down for an hour. Open the case, even.

When you initially boot, what's the coolant temperature? How quickly does the coolant temperature rise when under a CPU-only load? Then, how quickly does the temperature rise when under a mixed (CPU/GPU) load?

Once the load is stopped, how quickly does the coolant temperature decrease? And CPU temperature?

Finally, don't forget to check your mount ... make sure that the standoffs are fully screwed in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost the same problem.

Case: Corsair Air 540 (2x140 stock fans as front intake, 1x140 stock fan as rear exhaust, 2x120 as exhaust mounted in push on H100i GTX on top of the case)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero

Processor: i7-4790K (@4.0GHz), VCPU: 0.93V

Room temp: 28C at the moment

IDLE:

CPU temps: 35-50C

Collant temp: 35C with fans running at 1600RPM and pump in performance mode (around 3000RPM)

When I play BF1 CPU temp are going up high to 80-90C and I saw coolant temp around 53C on full fans speed.

When doing stress test using P95 (26.6) I have to stop it after couple seconds, because CPU temp jumps up to 95-100C.

I just switched stock fans on H100i for Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 (2200RPM PWM) and nothing changed, except they're much quieter while on full load.

H100i GTX is connected to CPU_OPT header, because while on CPU_FAN header it shows "CPU fan error".

I don't think that room temp is a problem here, because for almost 2 years computer was running in room with AC (around 20-21C/70F) and temps were a little better, but still around the same values they're now.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on my problem.

-------

Edit:

While switching fans, I also disconnected H100i from motherboard, cleaned old paste and put new one (be Quiet! DC1).

I cleaned the radiator yesterday, taking out every bigger amount of dust with my fingers (I don't have compressed air right now) and I think that liquid temp went up since that time, but CPU temps are still the same (maybe couple degrees higher too). I can see some dust still inside the radiator, so i will have to buy compressed air anyway, but I remember those temps since beginning, when I bought this cooler. Definetely, when running BF1 they were high (around 80-85C) since I remember.

I have almost the same problem.

Case: Corsair Air 540 (2x140 stock fans as front intake, 1x140 stock fan as rear exhaust, 2x120 as exhaust mounted in push on H100i GTX on top of the case)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero

Processor: i7-4790K (@4.0GHz), VCPU: 0.93V

Room temp: 28C at the moment

IDLE:

CPU temps: 35-50C

Collant temp: 35C with fans running at 1600RPM and pump in performance mode (around 3000RPM)

When I play BF1 CPU temp are going up high to 80-90C and I saw coolant temp around 53C on full fans speed.

When doing stress test using P95 (26.6) I have to stop it after couple seconds, because CPU temp jumps up to 95-100C.

I just switched stock fans on H100i for Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 (2200RPM PWM) and nothing changed, except they're much quieter while on full load.

H100i GTX is connected to CPU_OPT header, because while on CPU_FAN header it shows "CPU fan error".

I don't think that room temp is a problem here, because for almost 2 years computer was running in room with AC (around 20-21C/70F) and temps were a little better, but still around the same values they're now.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on my problem.

-------

Edit:

While switching fans, I also disconnected H100i from motherboard, cleaned old paste and put new one (be Quiet! DC1).

I cleaned the radiator yesterday, taking out every bigger amount of dust with my fingers (I don't have compressed air right now) and I think that liquid temp went up since that time, but CPU temps are still the same (maybe couple degrees higher too). I can see some dust still inside the radiator, so i will have to buy compressed air anyway, but I remember those temps since beginning, when I bought this cooler. Definetely, when running BF1 they were high (around 80-85C) since I remember.

Do you have access to a cheap air cooler? I keep a Hyper Evo 212 around for testing when needed. They are cheap. If things behave with that but not with the H100i and it is less than 5 years old... open a ticket! They will get to the bottom of it fast. They did for me. I had an RMA processed and a replacement unit within weeks of starting the process.

C.

That CPU boot error was a warning something is wrong. No matter if it is on CPU fan or opt, the pump’s power is controlled by the cpu fan setting. This needs to be set to “Full Speed” in Q-Fan or disabled. If you don’t, the H100i GTX will not get the power it needs. Put it back on cpu fan with the BIOS control at 100%. I cant tell if that is the sole issue or if it’s something more. Does the bios report a speed for the cooler?

Archived