Corsair Community

Hub or splitter for exhaust fan for Corsair 460x

NegNoodles

I recently purchased a RGB 460x case. However I wish to also install an exhaust fan in the back.

I just wish to know how to install more fans. I have already used all 3 SYS FAN slots on the mobo for the 3 front fans.

I am considering adding up to 3 extra fans to the case. That means I'll need a hub right? I have researched and a popular one is by Silverstone. However I have learned that the hub can only control 4 pin fans, but the SP120 are all 3 pins. So if I want to install 3x more SP120s around the case, how should I proceed? Is my only solution to use splitters?

I want to sync the RGB with the front fans but I also want to have control over when they'll spin and whatnot.

My specs are:

Gigabyte Z370 HD3

16GB DDR4 RAM

Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080

Intel i7 8700K

At 0.30A per fan, putting three on a splitter is getting a little too close to the 1.0A motherboard limit. Those current draws are not hard, constant values and you don't want to get too close to the limit. With 6 fans, you could do 3 x 2 way splitters across your existing SYS fan headers. Of course, the other option is the hub.

There certainly are DC fan control splitters out there, but sometimes the control mechanism isn't always desirable. One thing to consider is the Corsair Commander Pro. Certainly a bit more expensive than a cheap hub, but it also provides some additional benefits. 1) It will run DC or PWM in any combination on it's six ports. 2) All 6 fan headers are individually controllable. 3) It will allow you to get software control over the SP120 RGB fans. No more simple push button changes. You can use iCUE or Link to create and change your lighting. 4) It will still work with other Corsair RGB fans if you decided you want something else later. Most other RGB fans are 4 pin PWM, so the dual capability of the Commander Pro is useful.

At 0.30A per fan, putting three on a splitter is getting a little too close to the 1.0A motherboard limit. Those current draws are not hard, constant values and you don't want to get too close to the limit. With 6 fans, you could do 3 x 2 way splitters across your existing SYS fan headers. Of course, the other option is the hub.

Oh yeah of course, I have never considered to run all additional 3 off 1 port. THat was what I meant.

I was just wondering if this method will allow me to have control of the fan speeds. I wish to be able to control fan speeds as I don't wish for my PC to be too loud.

However what I am still failing to understand here is how although the SYS FAN slots are 4 slot PWM yet they're able to control the DC fans. If they're able to control the DC fans, then getting a splitter will allow me to maintain control of the new fans as well right?

Also the SP120RGB fans from Corsair comes in 2 variations, one with controller and one without. Should I ever buy a hub or splitter, the controller variant will be redundant then right?

As mentioned.. a Commander Pro would be an ideal solution.

it would control all 6 fans in that case.. RPM and RGB. along with 2 internal usb headers and 4 temperature probes.. all controlled in iCue

http://i.imgur.com/XSDWsnel.png

i know it says LL fans.. but the connections are the same for SP fans.....

lots more info in the below linked thread..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Archived