Corsair Community

Question about RGB setup with Phanteks Pro M SE

Ineluki

I'm writing this because I've never touched RGB before in a build and am a bit hesitant because of that. I've ordered a Phanteks Pro M SE case (got it for the same price as the non SE edition) which should arrive this weekend and complete a new build I'm doing. I have a Corsair H115i Pro RGB 280mm AIO cooler that just arrived. I have an Asus ROG Maximus X Formula motherboard (got a great deal and I plan on doing a full custom watercooling loop on it later as a father/son project).

I plan on mounting the radiator in the front in a push/pull configuration. I don't know yet if I should leave the 2 Phanteks fans in the front, but I guess I can always switch them out if I don't like them. If I leave them, I plan on replacing the two fans that come with the radiator with 2 ML140 PRO RGB fans. Obviously, if I replace the 2 Phanteks fans in front with 2 ML140 PRO RGB fans that would bring my ML140 count up to 4.

I plan on putting 3 LL140 PRO RGB fans on the top (2) and back exhaust (1).

I plan on running RGB light strips along the inside of the case although I'm not sure how many I'd need yet as I haven't looked into that yet (opinions welcome).

If I want to sync my colors and control my fan speeds, I assume I'll need to buy a Commander Pro. I should have two Lighting Node Pros on hand and two hubs if I purchase at least 2 fan multi-packs. I'm guessing because I'll be combining both LL and ML fan types, I'll need to use 2 hubs and 1 Commander Pro from what I've read on this forum so far.

1. Is the setup I just mentioned indeed the simplest and best setup for what I've described? (i.e. 2 or 4 MLs on one hub and 3 LLs on another hub, both or which are attached to a Commander Pro)

2. Would it look stupid combining LL and ML RGB fan types?

3. I assume the best place to place these hubs is on the back of the motherboard tray somewhere with sticky tape?

4. If anyone here has a Phanteks Pro M SE, do you have strong opinions on replacing the two fans in the front that come with the case?

5. Any opinions on which RGB strips to purchase and use for the case and if so how many?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm sure the questions may sound stupid, but I'm a complete amateur when it comes to Corsair RGB fans and how you link them and I figured I'd ask the pros (you guys). :biggrin: I'm headed to bed now and off to work tomorrow so I'm not sure when I'll be able to respond to anything.

Hey Ineluki ... welcome to the bright side! :D: Fair warning: It is highly addictive.

Lots of excellent detail.

I'm writing this because I've never touched RGB before in a build and am a bit hesitant because of that. I've ordered a Phanteks Pro M SE case (got it for the same price as the non SE edition) which should arrive this weekend and complete a new build I'm doing. I have a Corsair H115i Pro RGB 280mm AIO cooler that just arrived. I have an Asus ROG Maximus X Formula motherboard (got a great deal and I plan on doing a full custom watercooling loop on it later as a father/son project).

I plan on mounting the radiator in the front in a push/pull configuration. I don't know yet if I should leave the 2 Phanteks fans in the front, but I guess I can always switch them out if I don't like them. If I leave them, I plan on replacing the two fans that come with the radiator with 2 ML140 PRO RGB fans. Obviously, if I replace the 2 Phanteks fans in front with 2 ML140 PRO RGB fans that would bring my ML140 count up to 4.

I plan on putting 3 LL140 PRO RGB fans on the top (2) and back exhaust (1).

I plan on running RGB light strips along the inside of the case although I'm not sure how many I'd need yet as I haven't looked into that yet (opinions welcome).

If I want to sync my colors and control my fan speeds, I assume I'll need to buy a Commander Pro. I should have two Lighting Node Pros on hand and two hubs if I purchase at least 2 fan multi-packs. I'm guessing because I'll be combining both LL and ML fan types, I'll need to use 2 hubs and 1 Commander Pro from what I've read on this forum so far.

Yup ... 1 hub for ML, 1 hub for LL.

• Is the setup I just mentioned indeed the simplest and best setup for what I've described? (i.e. 2 or 4 MLs on one hub and 3 LLs on another hub, both or which are attached to a Commander Pro)

The Commander Pro (CoPro) is optional but they are pretty useful. You'll have plenty of fan headers on that motherboard but you'll have much better control over the fans with a CoPro. The CoPro will also give you two additional internal USB headers - darn handy for the cooler and the Lighting Node Pro (NoPro). I'm pretty sure that the Maximus X only has 2 internal USB headers. But you will be still be able to sync the colors with the included NoPros.

Would it look stupid combining LL and ML RGB fan types?

That's completely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't think so as long as you balance and place them well. Putting an LL right next to an ML might look kinda funny. One thing to note about the LL fans - the RGB effect is only on one side (intake). So keep that in mind when placing them. With the ML Fans, the effect is visible on both sides.

I assume the best place to place these hubs is on the back of the motherboard tray somewhere with sticky tape?

Yup, and they come with sticky tape. Or you can use Command Strips.

If anyone here has a Phanteks Pro M SE, do you have strong opinions on replacing the two fans in the front that come with the case?

I don't have the Pro M SE but I do have the Phanteks Enthoo Primo and I'm pretty sure that the fans are the same. So ... they fans are ... OK. They are quiet. However, they don't seem to move much air AND they are DC-controlled rather than PWM controlled (like the Corsair HD/LL/ML fans) and I strongly prefer PWM control. Also, if you want the to be controlled by your cooler, the fans MUST be PWM-controlled, not DC. (The CoPro will control either.) I'm still using a couple of them in my case but their days are numbered ... I fully intend on replacing them with LL fans.

Any opinions on which RGB strips to purchase and use for the case and if so how many?

Corsair RGB, of course!! I would say that four should do you ... 1 on each side. And, if you get the multipacks as well as the CoPro, you'll have NoPro's to spare ... so you just need the RGB LED Expansion Kit. Well, actually, if you get two multipacks (1 LL/1 ML) - and you'll need to for the RGB Fan Hubs - you'll still have a NoPro to spare.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm sure the questions may sound stupid, but I'm a complete amateur when it comes to Corsair RGB fans and how you link them and I figured I'd ask the pros (you guys). :biggrin: I'm headed to bed now and off to work tomorrow so I'm not sure when I'll be able to respond to anything.

They don't sound stupid at all. Sounds to me like you are researching thoroughly and putting a lot of thought into it. I wish more folks did that.

And ... here's a diagram to help you picture all of it:

y4mMV55TQBH51--9eFS8nTuBJp7JByGtysZV3vLgiiyfMyJU1WRvNNg9C-aRdi9BojhwBdwUCHj2AxMVGjd2y4Or9yaDaTjQPEA3ZaGaCpwaEg0T2XRzySPep1n8m2NoMG3xZZcfBHcMKqCPMWKeJcAEExXFEeRMD9-l3Uk-hdzCCR3L99-7aRO2bbNkqxtYoVtM-p3ZnWhFHHYgNYPujuEcQ?width=779&height=791&cropmode=none

Wow DevBiker!! THANK YOU so much for that detailed and very thorough reply! The fact that you spent the time to make that amazing diagram for me completely blew me away. You completely erased my concerns over spending hundreds of dollars on lighting/fan equipment as before I was unsure if I was doing the right thing. Corsair should pay you for driving business their way. :biggrin:

I just ordered the components and they should arrive by Friday so I can start my build over the weekend. I am still waffling on the two fans that may replace the stock Phanteks 140's in the front of the case. I saw the LL140 RGB multipack on sale finally on Amazon last night when I posted for $82 (US) instead of $99 and something inside me was saying "BUY IT NOW!" but I didn't and I saw that the price shot back up this morning after I got back from dropping my kid off and settled into work. Lesson learned. To anyone else out there who might be reading this, if you see a price drop like that, take advantage of it right away. I guess I could consider going without the two LL140's on top of the case until the next sale (and use the 2 non-RGB MLs from the radiator in the meantime) or just say screw it and accept the $17 life lesson. =)

If you're still around Zotty, I do have a follow-up question. Would putting two LL140's in front of my radiator in place of the stock Phanteks fans be a bad idea? I'd be using 2 ML140 Pro's in the rear obviously. I have never used a radiator before and I read about static pressure and how ML's are better than LL. However, I'm not an expert on push/pull and if the temp difference is neglible due to ML's already in the back and if this wouldn't shorten the life of the radiator, the LL's would obviously look better through the front grill/mesh. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again so much for the awesome reply! These forums are great and the people on them patient and knowledgeable (I've learned a lot from Zotty and you already and others as well)! I do sometimes wonder if I'll be in a minority of people over 40 who have RGB in their rig. :sillygrin I'm not sure if this is just a fad with the younger crowd... The real test will come when my friends come over and see the new computer.

So ... if you are already getting 2 ML RGB fans for the cooler, I'd use them for push (in the front) and the stock ML fans for pull. They have the exact same specs. Using LL fans for push in the front would also be absolutely fine. They don't have quite the same performance as the ML fans but it's not crazily different and won't impact your temperatures noticeably.

If you aren't getting any of the ML RGB fans, just go with the stock fans. They are better than the Phanteks stock fans - at least the ones that came with my Enthoo Primo. I'm assuming that you'll have the same fans. The only place that I'd consider using the stock fans is somewhere for airflow (top exhaust, perhaps) ... as placeholders until you can replace them later.

And ... for the record ... I'm over 40 too. And I have RGB in both my personal tower and my server. My son has RGB on his system too but mine is better. :cool:

Archived