Corsair Community

Fans get extremely loud when gaming - H110i GTX

Peweeb

Hi all

I have a H110i GTX Liquid cooler for my CPU. Ever since I got it I have a had problem with the fans, where they start increasing over time and eventually hitting max rmp when gaming.

I am able to game for about 30 mins until the fans start to speed up. They eventually start to increase their rmp slowly from around 1200 and up to 2400 rmp, where they get extremely loud. The increase in rmp on the fans do not seem to be related to the temperature on my CPU as it can without problems be at 60-70 degrees without increasing in rmp. It only happens after a while when gaming.

My CPU idle at around 35-45 degrees and is around 70 degrees while gaming.

I feel like I have tried all settings possible, so I hope you guys have a fix for this as the loud fans are driving me crazy!

Thank you!

By default, the i series coolers have the fans set to run from coolant temperature (H110 GTX Temp in Link). What you are describing sounds like the typical long duration GPU gaming load where the case continues to warm up over time. For every 1C you raise the case ambient temperature, you also raise the coolant and CPU temp by 1C. Eventually, you get ot 40C and fans max out. The unexpected increase in case temperature is an obstacle in in fan control, but one that can be lessened considerably.

The three included fan presets are just that --- generic presets. No one can predict exactly what total temperature will result from the endless combinations of hardware, case types, fan speeds, and of course your room temperature. There is nothing special about the 40C=100% fan line. On a hot Summer day with room temps over 30C, you might idle at close to that value. That doesn't mean you need 2000+ rpm on the fans.

First, you need to find out what the H110i GTX temp is doing when gaming. It likely climbs slowly, 1C every few minutes (this is good), but you want to know your peak level. Once you know that, you can set a comfortable fan speed to match that peak coolant temp. Slant the rest of the curve up 3-5C further down the line. This will give you an auditory warning if things are out of the normal zone. With a 280mm cooler, you can do very well with slow and steady. It would shocking if you ever really need more than 1000 rpm for normal use.

That sounds reasonable. It does indeed climb slow and suddenly it starts to sound like this:

[ame]

[/ame]

My current settings in the BIOS for the fans is the silent profile on my ASUS Maximus Hero VIII motherboard:

https://imgur.com/a/U62Pd

I have tried to run a fan optimizer in both the BIOS and in AI Suite 3, but the fans start to speed up after a while under load no matter what I do. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

The settings in the BIOS and with AI Suite don't impact the cooler fan speeds if the fans are connected to the cooler. They have absolutely, positively no impact at all. Now, if I understand it correctly, your particular cooler is SATA powered as well. So you actually have no worries at all about the CPU_FAN cooler setting.

It sounds like you have a similar problem to another user ... where the cooler temp exceeds the max temp on your fan curve and the fans go to 100%. Which is odd and not what I expect ... but we also need to ask why your cooler temps are going over 40C. As c-attack points out, this is likely directly related to your case temperature. Do you have any way of monitoring that? How are your case fans controlled? Most motherboards control case fans based on CPU temperature, which really isn't appropriate for a liquid cooled system. It also looks like your radiator is set as intake - is that correct? So it should be taking cooler air from the outside. However, if the internal case temperature is quite high, you'll still have difficulty cooling the radiator. What does the rest of your fan situation look like? What do your other motherboard temperature sensors read? Have you considered a thermal sensor that you connect to the motherboard thermal sensor connector? These are pretty inexpensive and easily found on Amazon (10K temperature probe ... example: https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Temperature-Sensor-Sleeved-Black/dp/B00EURF6GW).

I have just tried the settings John11 suggest and sadly it didn't work as the fans still start to speed up after a while when gaming.

But that makes sense if you say that the BIOS and AI suite profiles do not impact the cooler fan speed at all if the fans are connected to the cooler, which they are in my case.

You can see my fans' speed and CPU temperatur while gaming Fortnite here:

https://imgur.com/a/BwuS3

It actually randomly dropped from max fan speed to around 1400 again after a while when gaming, but then it started to increase to max speed again. See picture for speed after dropping:

https://imgur.com/a/1jBPW

And here is a screenshot of the temps etc. of the other components while gaming where fan speed are at max:

https://imgur.com/a/qW2oD

Fan#1 and Fan#3 are fans in my case that is connected to FAN_Header1 and FAN_Header3 on the mother board. I assume that they are controlled by the motherboard based on CPU temperature? At least I have noticed that they turn off automatically and start again sometimes.

Yes, my radiator is set as intake. However, my GPU is only around 5 cm away from my radiator blowing hot air straight into it, which heats up the radiator (my raditor in mounted in the front of the case because it was too big to be in the top). So under load it probably heats up the radiator which might make it difficult to cool the CPU.

I not have any way of monitoring the case temperatur, but it feels hot between around the GPU and the radiator. So, my question is if it is necessary to buy a bigger case where the radiator can be mounted in the top to prevent the GPU from heating it up?

i have a H80i V2 and any fan speed over 50% which is around 1600rpm is loud so i have a custom profile and set the upper limit to 44c and 50% and my h80i temp tops out at around 43c and my fans never go over 50%

Well, you have to keep in mind that the H110iGTX and the H80i V2 are two very, very different coolers. They have different capabilities and different setup. His issue and your issue are, therefore, not really related and what applies to your cooler often doesn't apply to his. It's like trying to tell someone to peel the skin off like an orange ... when what they want to eat is an apple.

So ... let see.

No custom fan curve so that's not an option.

It sounds to me like Link is, perhaps, wonking out on the fan curve. Which version of Link are you running? And has this always happened?

Your ideal situation would be to have the interior of the case cooler. That would likely help your radiator temperatures and a whole lot of other stuff. You mentioned that the case was warm to the touch ... how warm? Like a little or a lot? Do you have any other mounts for intake fans?

I am running the lastest LINK version 4.9.4.28, so that should not be the problem.

I have had the liquid cooler for around 1,5 years and this has always been a problem and now I just really want to find a solution for this.

As mentioned, my GPU is close to the radiator and gets around 60 degrees under load and it blows warm air out next to the radiator. It is not super hot, but you can feel the hot air.

My two other fans in the case are both exhaust fans. Here is a picture of my case where you can see how close the GPU is to the radiator:

https://imgur.com/a/kLBDG

Are all of your fans bringing air into the case? Or is this a reverse flow with top/rear intake and front exhaust through the radiator?

I also want to go back to DevBiker's earlier point about the fan curve. There was a glitch with H110i GTX coolers where the fans would go bonkers anytime you got near the last data point on your custom curve. I do not know if a solution was found and it may have been a hardware issue rather than software. Regardless, the solution for those affected was to move the last data point of your curve out into the stratosphere around 50-60C. Then set the next to last point just above your normal maximum coolant temp. In essence, pretend the last point doesn't exist and make the curve with the first 5 dots.

The fans at the radiator is intake and the two other fans in the top and rear are exhaust fans pushing air out of the case. Is that a good setup? Please let me know if I should change anything!

As mentioned previously I am not able to set any curves manually in LINK. I can only chose the different modes. Should I be able to set it manually?

Are all of your fans bringing air into the case? Or is this a reverse flow with top/rear intake and front exhaust through the radiator?

I also want to go back to DevBiker's earlier point about the fan curve. There was a glitch with H110i GTX coolers where the fans would go bonkers anytime you got near the last data point on your custom curve. I do not know if a solution was found and it may have been a hardware issue rather than software. Regardless, the solution for those affected was to move the last data point of your curve out into the stratosphere around 50-60C. Then set the next to last point just above your normal maximum coolant temp. In essence, pretend the last point doesn't exist and make the curve with the first 5 dots.

yeah that's the same problem i get the fans just go nuts over the last data point of the curve i have set to like 100% fan speed sounds like a Harrier jump jet is taking off in my room

yeah that's the same problem i get the fans just go nuts over the last data point of the curve i have set to like 100% fan speed sounds like a Harrier jump jet is taking off in my room

Exactly! It is really loud! I feel like I have tried all settings and I am really not sure what to do anymore and I feel like the only possbility is now to buy another liquid cooler..

Have you solved your problem, John11?

to do a custom fan curve find out what is your max temp of your H110i is and then go to your corsair link H110i configure fan page go to mode fixed and find out what would be your max fan speed in % is and then go to custom in the mode page and set your fan curve up by moving the dot points around to max temp and fan speed you found out but don't set the 6 dot point to your settings set to that like 50c at 70% you should never reach that temp anyway then set the 5th point to your setting and move the rest in a nice curve problem solved ;-)

My two other fans in the case are both exhaust fans. Here is a picture of my case where you can see how close the GPU is to the radiator:

https://imgur.com/a/kLBDG

________

The fans at the radiator is intake and the two other fans in the top and rear are exhaust fans pushing air out of the case. Is that a good setup? Please let me know if I should change anything!

As mentioned previously I am not able to set any curves manually in LINK. I can only chose the different modes. Should I be able to set it manually?

I am not sure that is what the picture above shows. Your rear fan above the GPU is clearly intake. I can barely see what looks like a "fan label" on a sliver of one of the top fans, suggesting those are intake as well. I cannot see the radiator fan orientation. Unlike your typical house fan, a computer fan draws air in from the "pretty side" of the fan and moves air away on the "label side" where you see brand names and current specifications. If all of your fans are intake, it might explain why coolant temperatures are much higher than expected.

I don't understand the inability to set a manual curve. There should be a custom curve drop down option below Quiet, Balanced, Performance in the configure pop up.

cant you put the H110i rads at the top to suck hot air up out of the case and set up the front to intake and rear to out

It looks like it should, but as with a lot of recent cases the top is a bit shallow and not wide enough for a 280x140 radiator. You usually run into the heat sink or ATX plugs. For most boards, a 280mm will have to go in the front. However, the general idea from the beginning was his fans are loud because the coolant temp is hitting 40C. If you drop the case ambient temp by 6-8C, everything will be 6-8C cooler including the coolant.

Archived