Corsair Community

Is the H80I Coolers Supposed To BE Completely full of Fluid

curlysir

I have an H80I that I purchased 4 1/2 years ago that I had never installed. Decided to install on a new build. When you move the radiator you can here a gurgling noise like it has air in the system. It appears as if it is not full of fluid, the box shows no sign of leakage.

I have 4 other coolers, 2 H100I and 2 H50 that do not do this. The cooler also seems to not want to circulate coolant in all positions.

The cooler appears to be dependent on position of the radiator for circulation of fluid. In one position the cpu gets so hot it shuts down, rotate the radiator, changing nothing else and it works fine.

I would assume this is a warranty item, yes or no?

Yes, it's low evaporation and not evaporation-proof. There should be a little jiggle of fluid when you shake it, but if there is a definite slosh, it is probably low. You don't see this very often, but your symptoms appear to match. Contact Support through the link at the top of the page. You'll need the receipt from purchase.

There is something definitely not right about this cooler, suspect that the fluid is on the low side, can here a slosh when I shake it. Rotated the radiator to where the hoses were on the bottom (preferred position according to manual) and started the computer. Watched the temperatures on Corsair Link, and the H80I temperature started slowly climbing until it peaked at 160 F. The temperature then started going back down and is currently at 101 F, this is with the computer sitting at idle. Suspect that when I rotated the radiator some air got in the pump and it took awhile for it to get out of the pump.

Right now everything looks good on the Link monitoring screen, Pump RPM is 2285 and constant, no noise, If it would stay like this I would have no problem with it. But It has been inconsistent and it not working right when I rotate the radiator has me concerned.

Have a new H80I V2 on order and will be here tomorrow. Assuming it works correctly I will see about returning the existing one on warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Received and installed the new H80I v2 and it works like I would expect it to. The v2 is an improvement over the original in several areas. The pump is more compact and the AMD mounting system is much improved. The power wiring for the pump is a better system then the previous. Don't like that you can only monitor 1 fan where the old model allowed you to monitor 2 fans. Other then that I like the new one better.

Submitted a ticket to warranty the old one, waiting on a response.

• Corsair Employee
Glad to hear that you like the V2 version. Yeah, about the fans being as 1 device in C Link, we figured since the fans attached to the rad in push pull config needs to run in the same rpm, might as well control them as one device so you don't lose performance efficiency.

Archived