Corsair Community

Fan ML 140 Pro 4 pin Question on installation ?

Ash.

Hi I am Ash and I have a question please.

Corsair Link and Pro hardware

2 x 140mm ML fan

1 x 120mm ML fan

I am running Asus AI suite 3 with Fan Expert.

The Asus 170 pro motherboard has 2 x chassis 4 pin headers available these can be set to 1 Dc(CPU) or 2 Power Width Monitor modes for the ML series fans. Am I right to think that its PWM mode. For the 3rd fan I have a 4 pin CPU OPT or 4 pin Water pump header(seem to remember I shouldn't use that) and finally a 5pin EXT fan header. Would like some answers on the power state mode selection as I seem to remember the ML magnetic fan requires PWM mode and any ideas how to connect the third fan.

I look forward to your reply

Ash

Happy Christmas.

Yes, 4 pin fans are PWM. The Z170 should auto-detect the type, but you can manually set it as well. The header selection is more complicated.

You don’t want CPU-OPT. The OPTional header is a mirror of CPU fan. It will do whatever CPU fan does. This is useful for dual fan air coolers, but much less so for case fans. CPU & OPT can only use cpu temperature as a control variable. This is too dynamic and not really appropriate for case fan control.

W_Pump or AIO headers are set and locked to 100% by default. This is intended to be used for water pumps. On some boards, you can unlock it and turn it back into a CHA fan header. However, once again you can only use cpu temperature as the control. It would be better if Asus gave you a standard CHAssis fan header instead.

Fan-ext is for a small fan circuit board that lets you control additional fans from one source. It is a powered splitter. Hard to find and not helpful for this.

What you really want is a standard 4 pin PWM splitter that will tie two ML fans to one motherboard header. ML fans have a very low current draw and this a very safe and common solution. It should be very inexpensive, but make sure you get a PWM splitter. It will have 1x3 pin connector and 1x4 pin connector. Both fans will run the same speed.

Archived