Corsair Community

System Instability with Intel DH55TC & Core i3 530

howardelder

Introduction

My colleague & I have built 15 systems using the Intel MB DH55TC using the Core i3 530 processor, from about March 2010 to about June 2010. 13 of these systems are for a non-profit organization for disabled people, and 2 were built privately by me for myself. We have spent the last approx. 11 months trying to chase a problem with this platform.

The Problem

About 50% of these systems have been unstable: they crash (no BSOD) and re-boot spontaneously, and Windows 7 doesn’t know what hit it. This occurs anywhere from 2 – 3 times per month, to very frequently for certain systems, several times per day, or even such that you can not boot and run a reasonable initial set of jobs.

The System Configuration(s)

Intel DH55TC Motherboard with Core i3 530 processor.

Various power supplies, all >500 watt.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit version, and the BIOS and all Intel drivers have been updated to the latest levels, without fixing the problems.

Memory: Intel “spec” says DDR3, 1066 or 1333, dual channel

We installed (Initially) for 13 systems:

CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX (4 GB 2-stick kits), 4GB DHX Memory kit for dual channel systems, 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

For the 2 “private” systems:

CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 in one system 4GB XMS Memory kit for dual channel systems, 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V- Running at 1.5v and 1333 according to the bios.

CRUCIAL CT2KIT25664BA1339 in the other system.

The private system with the CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 has not exhibited the instability.

Troubleshooting and Testing to date

We have run MEMTEST86 ver 3.5a extensively, for from 14 hours to 24 hours, with both sticks installed, and then each separately. These tests have all passed, and seem to prove nothing relative to these instabilities.

We have run the INTEL BURNTEST at a “high” stress level (in case the Processors are causing the problem.) These have always passed perfectly.

I, together with several tech chats with Intel, for the private system with the Crucial memory, seemed to narrow down the problem at one point to the Motherboard, which they kindly exchanged. This did indeed cut the frequency of the crashes down from several per day (e.g. Windows Update seemed to excite the problem) to about 2 per month. Not a solution.

In one case, the machine crashed very frequently to the point you couldn’t do anything for more than 20 minutes. We replaced the MB, and the same problem frequency persisted.

Current “thinking” and request for your HELP!!!

We finally concluded that, if it isn’t the MB, and it isn’t the Processor, and it isn’t the power supply, then it must be the Memory. But the problems persist, EVEN though the memory (both Corsair & Crucial) are:

(a)Correct per the Intel (nominal) spec

(b) Recommended by the memory supplier as compatible for this system.

HOWEVER, we are still having the instabilities with different models of memory.

Note that the system with the “faster” CORSAIR 1600 memory (see above) seems to be solid, and the BIOS set it to operate at 1333 and 1.5 v (not 1.65v).

I personally think there is some kind of timing instability with the MB & Core i3. It seems MEMTEST simply does not excite the kind of timing situations that occur in a more realistic workload. Also I believe the Intel memory “spec” does NOT adequately specify what’s required. Maybe the design of the DH55 & Core i3 are simply not solid? (But the IntelBurn test also shows up nothing).

We have spent countless hours on Tech Chats with Intel & Corsair, and in trying to diagnose this problem by part substitution and use of test tools such as MEMTEST. We feel we are not to the point of a definitive cause & solution.

Maybe there are other test tools we could employ?

We would greatly appreciate your help and advice regarding this problem, especially if others have experienced these instabilities, and ultimately found the solution. THANK YOU!

• Corsair Employee

I would try and increase the memory Voltage to 1.55 or 1.6 Volts and see if that helps on the systems displaying that symptom, if not try and increase the memory controller Voltage to +.05-.1 Volts over default (normally called CPU/QPI or CPU/PLL Voltage) you may need to check with Intel if you are able to adjust these settings or not.

If you are not I would check the event log and see if there are any errors logged just prior to the restarts and then search for the error at http://www.microsoft.com/technet.

• 3 years later...

Your email is extremely well written.

Reading your description has prompted me to register and identify that I have the very same problem with a PC build from 2010. We have suffered through this issue because my son and I invested significant time and money in building this together as a Father - Son project and we don't know a lot about PC's to try and understand the problem. We tried to have it repaired early on after the initial build in summer 2010 but they just reloaded Windows and said it was ok.

Like you I have the Corsair XMS3 memory CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (2 x 2GB), Core i3 530 processor however we are on a DH55HC Mother Board using 64 bit Windows 7 Professional OS. We have updated drivers where possible and there are many Windows updates.

After a fresh windows download it will be ok for 1-2 months until it starts to then spontaneously reboot and consistently degrades (glitches / freezes) until it will blue screen with different error codes. It seems to really have problems after some critical windows updates. Trying to do a windows repair never works. Another oddity is sometimes it makes me re register Windows indicating I have a pirated version when I have the official Windows product bought at a reputable PC chain with the MS code sticker. I really don't think it's virus related as we check regularly, have used several products (Norton / Mcphee / Avast) over the years.

If you were able to fix your problem or understand what the issue is would you be so kind as to share what you did so that we might be able to try and fix our PC.

Introduction

My colleague & I have built 15 systems using the Intel MB DH55TC using the Core i3 530 processor, from about March 2010 to about June 2010. 13 of these systems are for a non-profit organization for disabled people, and 2 were built privately by me for myself. We have spent the last approx. 11 months trying to chase a problem with this platform.

The Problem

About 50% of these systems have been unstable: they crash (no BSOD) and re-boot spontaneously, and Windows 7 doesn’t know what hit it. This occurs anywhere from 2 – 3 times per month, to very frequently for certain systems, several times per day, or even such that you can not boot and run a reasonable initial set of jobs.

The System Configuration(s)

Intel DH55TC Motherboard with Core i3 530 processor.

Various power supplies, all >500 watt.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit version, and the BIOS and all Intel drivers have been updated to the latest levels, without fixing the problems.

Memory: Intel “spec” says DDR3, 1066 or 1333, dual channel

We installed (Initially) for 13 systems:

CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX (4 GB 2-stick kits), 4GB DHX Memory kit for dual channel systems, 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

For the 2 “private” systems:

CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 in one system 4GB XMS Memory kit for dual channel systems, 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V- Running at 1.5v and 1333 according to the bios.

Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 in the other system.

The private system with the CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 has not exhibited the instability.

Troubleshooting and Testing to date

We have run MEMTEST86 ver 3.5a extensively, for from 14 hours to 24 hours, with both sticks installed, and then each separately. These tests have all passed, and seem to prove nothing relative to these instabilities.

We have run the INTEL BURNTEST at a “high” stress level (in case the Processors are causing the problem.) These have always passed perfectly.

I, together with several tech chats with Intel, for the private system with the Crucial memory, seemed to narrow down the problem at one point to the Motherboard, which they kindly exchanged. This did indeed cut the frequency of the crashes down from several per day (e.g. Windows Update seemed to excite the problem) to about 2 per month. Not a solution.

In one case, the machine crashed very frequently to the point you couldn’t do anything for more than 20 minutes. We replaced the MB, and the same problem frequency persisted.

Current “thinking” and request for your HELP!!!

We finally concluded that, if it isn’t the MB, and it isn’t the Processor, and it isn’t the power supply, then it must be the Memory. But the problems persist, EVEN though the memory (both Corsair & Crucial) are:

(a)Correct per the Intel (nominal) spec

(b) Recommended by the memory supplier as compatible for this system.

HOWEVER, we are still having the instabilities with different models of memory.

Note that the system with the “faster” CORSAIR 1600 memory (see above) seems to be solid, and the BIOS set it to operate at 1333 and 1.5 v (not 1.65v).

I personally think there is some kind of timing instability with the MB & Core i3. It seems MEMTEST simply does not excite the kind of timing situations that occur in a more realistic workload. Also I believe the Intel memory “spec” does NOT adequately specify what’s required. Maybe the design of the DH55 & Core i3 are simply not solid? (But the IntelBurn test also shows up nothing).

We have spent countless hours on Tech Chats with Intel & Corsair, and in trying to diagnose this problem by part substitution and use of test tools such as MEMTEST. We feel we are not to the point of a definitive cause & solution.

Maybe there are other test tools we could employ?

We would greatly appreciate your help and advice regarding this problem, especially if others have experienced these instabilities, and ultimately found the solution. THANK YOU!

Archived