Corsair Community

Got BSOD from LL120s last night?

iDefkon

I do not have a commander pro, but I was hoping I'd be able to control my fans RPMs in my BIOS because I have two LL120s as exhaust fans in my H500. I removed the PWR from my AIOs daisy chain, and plugged them into the SYS 1 and 2 fan headers in my AX370 while leaving the RGB cable plugged into my lighting node. Got BSOD and had to restore windows, now all is well. I put the stock 140mms back in for now. Literally all I did was unplug the PWR from the back and put it into the mobo headers. What did I do wrong/can I not do this due to mobo power output being too much to the fans? I'm not interested in buying the 70 dollar commander pro just to adjust my case fans I use as exhaust.

What cooler? If I had to guess based on the information presented, you removed the power supply to the AIO, the pump stopped running, and consequently the board shut everything down to protect the CPU. You should have received a thermal protection warning from the BIOS when you tried to restart. Some coolers run from a SATA power supply, but many draw their power from the motherboard header. It is critical to know which you have.

Aside from that or if your cooler is SATA powered, it may just be coincidence. Even if you turn the case fans off, you cannot force a shutdown until CPU or VRM temps get into the 90C+ range. That would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for it to be related to fans.

What cooler? If I had to guess based on the information presented, you removed the power supply to the AIO, the pump stopped running, and consequently the board shut everything down to protect the CPU. You should have received a thermal protection warning from the BIOS when you tried to restart. Some coolers run from a SATA power supply, but many draw their power from the motherboard header. It is critical to know which you have.

Aside from that or if your cooler is SATA powered, it may just be coincidence. Even if you turn the case fans off, you cannot force a shutdown until CPU or VRM temps get into the 90C+ range. That would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for it to be related to fans.

its a kraken so sata powered. pretty wild coincidence if that is the case, but from what ive gathered thats computers for you. today i will reinstall my LLs with the lighitng node and sata power and plug them into the mobo like i tried last night and see what happens. from what ive gathered while digging more and asking on a different website, i did exactly what i am supposed to be able to do. which is plug the fans into the headers so i can at least control them in the BIOS and still be able to run them though the light node for RGB through iCue. It would be nice to at least know what happened, because as far as i can tell all did was remove the PWR from the x62 daisy chain and move them into the mobo itself.

There should be no problem powering the fan motor from your motherboard headers (or the X62). The LL are PWM, but in a worst case scenario with the controller set to DC, they would stop-start. The lighting power comes from the RGB Lighting Hub and is independent to the motor/blade function.

When you had the crash, was it an actual “BSOD” or did the whole system do a hard shutdown, straight to black?

There should be no problem powering the fan motor from your motherboard headers (or the X62). The LL are PWM, but in a worst case scenario with the controller set to DC, they would stop-start. The lighting power comes from the RGB Lighting Hub and is independent to the motor/blade function.

When you had the crash, was it an actual “BSOD” or did the whole system do a hard shutdown, straight to black?

plugged into the x62 things were fine. its once i moved them from the chain to my mobo it just went crazy. after i restored windows it was fine.

It did both actually. Blue screen'd a lot with error codes, and a few times just shut off on its own.

Ok, it is normal to shut down or sometimes restart after the BSOD. A hard shutdown might be triggered if there was an unexpected electrical variance, potentially during the plug exchange. It appears that is not what happened. You might be able to make more sense out of the Windows logs or using a program to read the BSOD log report.

Ok, it is normal to shut down or sometimes restart after the BSOD. A hard shutdown might be triggered if there was an unexpected electrical variance, potentially during the plug exchange. It appears that is not what happened. You might be able to make more sense out of the Windows logs or using a program to read the BSOD log report.

I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to that. Not sure if I can go back and check after ive already wiped my windows so im not sure if the logs would still show. but if it happens again ill see if i cant find the report and get more info. hopefully ill go home and take those NZXT fans out and put all my corsair stuff back in except with the headers on my mobo and i won't have any issues. i dont think im going to get an answer as to why it happened. but im leaning towards a power issue, and even more so now that you mentioned it too.

Archived