Corsair Community

RAM Compatibility (Different manufacturers)

Levzi

I know its an old question that gets asked time after time after time, and I apologise for asking it again, but I am confused about it.

From what I remember it's not a good idea to mix RAM modules from different manufacturers, but I am wondering why ?

I managed to score some cheap Patriot Viper RAM 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V 8gig kit (2x4ghz dual channel) cheaply,

for xmas I am getting some Vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V 16gig (2x8gb dual channel) so essentially the same type of RAM just bigger capacity, so I am wondering will I or at least could I run into problems if I fill all slots with these RAM modules ?

I will have 24Gb of RAM in total , which would be amazing, but I can take out the 8gb if it's going to mess up the Corsair RAM. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

the fact that they both run on 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 says nothing about the actual chips used...

Especially since the 2 kits are even different in size (2x4GB and 2x8GB) you can be damn sure different chips are used.

There is so much more to DDR RAM then just the 9-9-9-24 timings, the load characteristics of the RAM, the subtimings,...

It might work, but nobody will be able to tell you on forehand...

• Corsair Employee

Hello Levzi,

It shouldn't damage the RAM, but it may not be stable. Mixing RAM sometimes does cause stability issues. Best just to give it a try and see if it works, though I would recommend just using the Corsair kit to ensure the best stability.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to say that the Vengeance RAM alone works perfectly, but paired with the Viper, it does not. Its true, RAM is a funny thing, they don't want to work together. Funny how it gets picked up OK in the BIOS. But its Windows that doesnt like it. lol Still doesnt matter. 16gb RAM is going to be more than enough :O)

Archived