Corsair Community

H1501 Pro & iCue software interaction

facemir

So I have had my H150 Pro for about three days now and I was extremely pleased with the performance until I installed the iCue software.

When I installed the icue software I went to use the "extreme" profile and the fans were all good showing extreme (1500 rpm) in the software but the pump was greyed out and on "quiet". (1100rpm) I started my program that I use with this machine and the 14 cores all go to 100% and the cpu temps went to 95° C

Previously before installing the icue software, the same situation the cpu temp would be 75° I tried to change change the pump performance to extreme but no matter what I did it would stay at "Quiet"and 1100 rpm.

After a very frustrating two hours I uninstalled the software and tried again, with no icue software. And it went back to CPU temp of 75°.

So obviously the pump was on quiet. Does the pump go faster than 1100 rpm.

Any suggestions on why I couldn't change the pump profile to extreme.

This computer runs on 100% load 24/7 so dont want any overheating.

THANKS for reading this far

Edited by facemir

No, the pump should have three selectable fixed speeds and the 1100 rpm mode is not going to work for your CPU. Quiet=1100, Balanced 2160 +-30, and Extreme 2850 +-30. It should work like the fans. Click on the preset speed on the left first. It highlights yellow. Then click on the pump reading over to the right. It will ring yellow to show it's applied. Can you show us a screen shot? It would be very strange to be able to control the fans but not the pump.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. Before I reinstall the iCue software, I wanted to double check my installation. On the H150i Pro I have the sata cable connected, usb connected to a port on the motherboard, and the speed monitoring cable connected to the AIO header on my motherboard. Should I take the cable off the AIO header and put it on CPU header.

At the moment the AIO header speed is showing 2766rpm which is probably why my temps are so much better without the software installed. That appears to be running at "extreme" speed.

Again thanks for your help.:laughing:

The lead back to the motherboard is mostly irrelevant. It will report a pump speed on that model, but does not supply power and cannot control anything. It's other function is to prevent the standard CPU boot error when nothing is on CPU_Fan.

The USB connection is the critical one for software control and possibly the more common problem. However, this is usually a 'device not detected' issue -- nothing there to control. It is extremely unusual to have part of the controls work and part of it not. The only logical thing that comes to mind is a fault in the internal PWM controller for the pump, except that if appears to be capable of changing speed. That leaves some kind of software glitch. The only other thing to be careful of is running other monitoring programs that sample the same data as iCUE. HWiNFO, HWMon, AIDA, and AI Suite are common problems. Usually is gives you back garbage or impossible readings in return. Losing control over the pump would be uncommon and the problems are usually not physical in nature.

Thanks for your help c-attack. Don't ask me how but I managed to re install the iCue software and get it all going ok, with my temps now down to 70° to 80°. The pump is now permanently running at 2760 rpm, and the fans vary between 1450rpm at 98% cpu load to 400rpm at 3% load. The software doesn't seem very intuitive but I guess the more I use it the easier it will get. :laughing: Edited by facemir

OK, are the pump controls still grayed out?

The other thing is you are going to want to get off CPU temperature as the control variable. That's not how it works. The first (and instant) part of the cooling is conductive. CPU pins + voltage (heat) -> through CPU -> through cooler cold plate. There are no controls for that and pump speed and fan settings have zero impact on voltage, the CPU's structure, or the physical conductive properties. Once it is in the coolant stream, then the pump and fan speeds matter. However, the relationship is +1C coolant temp = +1C CPU temp (and the same with negative changes). Since the heat transfer across the cold plate goes both ways, coolant temperature is the effective minimum CPU temperature (when Vcore is 0v).

Essentially, nothing will can make that +40C jump when you hit max Vcore go away. However the cooler keeps it from getting worse. If we connect a little 120mm radiator to your system, you power on some stress test, the temps instantly jump 35-50C and hold. With the 120mm radiator, you will start to see the entire temp line creep up +1C every 30-45 sec. (or faster). With a larger radiator, the happens much more slowly and will stop sooner. The coolant rise on a 120mm radiator with 300W is going to be 20-25C. The same load on a 280mm radiator might be 10-12C or 9-11C on a 360mm. The coolant temp increase is like a penalty, but the larger your radiator the smaller that penalty will be. At any rate, you want to set the fans to react to H150i Temp (coolant temperature). It's a slow and steady wins the race kind of thing. I don't get to see much 9940x data, but based on wattage I would expect a coolant temp rise of around +8-9C at maximum.

You can handle this a few different ways. Figure out the resting coolant temp at the desktop level. Typically this is case ambient or +4-6C above your room temp. Set the fans to low and quiet level. Leave yourself a few degrees of flat space in curve to account for daily room temp fluctuations, the ramp up the curve. Since the H150i fan are not overly fast, you can probably set something like 1300 rpm = +8-10C over the resting idle temp. Save the 1600 rpm max for something like +15 or +20C. That will let you know if things have gone really wrong. Now the trickier bit is room temps tend not to stay the same as the seasons change. In Winter, you may be able to run anything and have really good numbers. In the Summer heat, the room temp may be +8-10C higher and thus everything in the case will increase by the same number. You will need to adjust the curve seasonally or keep separate "Winter" and "Summer" curves. There really is no limit to the number of curves you can program.

c-attack Thanks for that super informative post. That's great information. I have a couple of more questions. I have made a new profile and am playing around with that and have managed to do a custom curve (is that the correct terminology) for the three radiator fans and that's working great. But it appears the pump only has the four options, (zero, balanced, quiet, and extreme.) and I am unable to do a custom curve for that.Is that correct. ???