Corsair Community

800d SATA backplane disk access problem

Crom

Hi guys, A new build project with some teething problems. I'd be very grateful for some assistance.

I have the SSD card connected to the upper backplane slot and everytime I install windows onto the SSD it takes forever and then fails at some point during the install. If I remove the backplane from the equation (ie use the same power cable and data cable) windows installs fine.

The SSD in question is SATA 3 and I noticed in small letters on the backplane it says SATA 2. Does this mean that the backplane cannot handle the SATA 3 interface or should I be OK?

I know I could just put the SATA 3 drive in one of the permanent bays underneat and away from the backplane but I need to swap system disks quite regularly - one of the reasons for buying this case!

I haven't got as far as connecting any of the SATA 2 drives mentioned below as I just want to get the OS up and running first so I can't report how the backplane performs with those as yet.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Crom

• Corsair Employee
The backplanes on the 800D will do not support SATA 3. Also, it may not be a good idea to hot swap your system drive unless you are swapping between two systems with the same motherborad and CPU.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll need to mount the SSD in one of the permanent slots. Pity that the case does not support SATA 3 though. I'd expect enthusiasts who are going to shell out this much on an 800d will soon need this.

In case your interested, this is my 256GB SATA 3 SSD drive: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-CR

How can i tell it's an SATA 3 drive. Well, it doesn't work with the backplane LOL ;-)

Cheers for your help again,

Crom

• 1 month later...

Archived