Corsair Community

Just purchased an Elite, BIOS question (all models)

evolved_303

Very simple question, I've read the BIOS related threads, and it seems I noticed something that no one has said plainly so far... So my question is:

Has Corsair released any BIOS update for any ONE system ever?

It seems like that is not the case, which, considering just the security vulnerabilities found in Intel ME between the time of the system BIOS install date and now alone, seems very irresponsible. Hopefully I am wrong.

Very simple question, I've read the BIOS related threads, and it seems I noticed something that no one has said plainly so far... So my question is:

Has Corsair released any BIOS update for any ONE system ever?

It seems like that is not the case, which, considering just the security vulnerabilities found in Intel ME between the time of the system BIOS install date and now alone, seems very irresponsible. Hopefully I am wrong.

Do you have any issues with your system? Do you feel performance is subpar?

What makes you think a bios update will make your system more stable or faster?

Do you have any issues with your system? Do you feel performance is subpar?

What makes you think a bios update will make your system more stable or faster?

As mentioned in my original post, which you seem to have overlooked, there have been numerous security issues baked into system components (intel ME is the obvious huge one) that can only be resolved with a BIOS update, which other vendors have addressed with stopgap and/or full BIOS releases.

As far as the rest of your question, what a silly response to someone asking about security patches.

• Corsair Employees
Hi,

We were promised a BIOS update today 03/09. I haven't seen anything.

Since I received my functional C1 PRO 1080TI in November : no bios update.

Where is it ?

Thanks.

Quoted posts below:

We may have a build to release to the public on March 9th

That is if it passes our QA testing.

Can't say, as the build is still in our developers' hands.

March 9th if it passes QA. I'll ask for an update, but again, it's something we don't have control over if they discover an issue and decide not to publish.

• Corsair Employees
March 12th: no bios published and no update either

More than disappointing for a $4K+ machine. Maybe I shall have bought a Mac instead.

Here's generally how new BIOS updates are rolled out:

Intel provides updated microcode to board partners (MSI/ASUS/GBT).

Board partners roll new microcode and other enhancements into updated BIOS for their core products (retail motherboards)

Board partner rolls new microcode and other enhancements requested by us into custom products (Corsair ONE/Bulldog/etc.)

BIOS update with new microcode and other enhancements is rolled out to our production line and/or end users for updating systems.

Between each of these steps is a thorough process of validation to ensure that nothing breaks.

Once a potential BIOS update makes its way to us for validation there may or may not be issues that weren't caught during previous rounds of validation. The development and validation process between us and our board partner then repeats until a viable update can be deployed to users so that we don't end up with bricked systems which would be an even worse scenario.

Hopefully this helps give a little insight into how these things work. We greatly appreciate your patience.

I'm also waiting for bios update. Few days ago i got my replacement system and noticed that new unit utilizing pcie gen2. Bios version 4.QQ doesn't let me to change that to gen3.

#feelsbadman

New BIOS revisions rolled out in production opt for Gen2 for improved stability over the PCIe riser cable in CORSAIR ONE.There's practically no performance difference between Gen2 and Gen3 with current graphics cards.

CJ,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation regarding bios release processes.

I do understand why Gen2 was forced in last bios revision.

Gen2 vs Gen3 is not a big deal, since cards we have on the market right now, don't saturate Gen3 bandwidth anyway.

By the time they will, i guess we will definitely have some updates.

On the other hand, who knows if new cards will have the same dimensions and we will be able to upgrade our units anyway :rolleyes:

• Corsair Employees
CJ,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation regarding bios release processes.

I do understand why Gen2 was forced in last bios revision.

Gen2 vs Gen3 is not a big deal, since cards we have on the market right now, don't saturate Gen3 bandwidth anyway.

By the time they will, i guess we will definitely have some updates.

On the other hand, who knows if new cards will have the same dimensions and we will be able to upgrade our units anyway :rolleyes:

No prob. There are certain things I can't dive into details on of course, but that's generally how this process works across the industry +/- a few steps depending on the product and companies involved.

Also, reference versions of consumer cards shouldn't really change dimensions (no thicker than 2 slots, not taller than full-height, not excessively long) so I don't foresee that being an issue in terms of physical installation in the future. That can always change though, but it'd be pretty unlikely for such a drastic change to happen.

March 9th was a potential date for a BIOS release. Today 03/20 still no sign of new bios.

While the activities around updating bios were explained in an earlier thread as a complicated process between 3rd parties, testing and other items. It sounded quite sugarcoated.

After all Alienware and Apple are still able to do it in a reasonable time frame.

No bios update since inception a real shame in my opinion.

• Corsair Employees
March 9th was a potential date for a BIOS release. Today 03/20 still no sign of new bios.

While the activities around updating bios were explained in an earlier thread as a complicated process between 3rd parties, testing and other items. It sounded quite sugarcoated.

After all Alienware and Apple are still able to do it in a reasonable time frame.

No bios update since inception a real shame in my opinion.

When we have an update, we'll share it. I understand your frustration, but to be frank, I didn't sugarcoat my explanation earlier.

A broken BIOS and/or broken microcode updates can brick systems or cause other issues. BIOS updates have been pushed out on the production side for minor stability/compatibility improvements since the CORSAIR ONE launched over a year ago. But for the particular issues users keep bringing up (spectre/meltdown), it requires a much more careful approach.

Here's an article for reference that I hope should clear this up a bit: https://www.wired.com/story/meltdown-spectre-patching-total-train-wreck/

Hey guys chill out. I would love a BIOS update also, seriously though its not going to really change anything. Your not going to get some magical performance boost or special abilities. If anything this update will probably be a very slight drawback on performance. I'm over the whole BIOS update business and hope you are to. We'll get it when we do and honestly don't care if it's ever at this point. Enjoy what you have decided to purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Intel provides updated microcode to board partners (MSI/ASUS/GBT). Done

Board partners roll new microcode and other enhancements into updated BIOS for their core products Done - see the MSI retail BIOS 1A (retail motherboards)

Board partner rolls new microcode and other enhancements requested by us into custom products What's the status of this? Should be pretty quick as you seem to have a pretty standard retail board in the system(Corsair ONE/Bulldog/etc.)

BIOS update with new microcode and other enhancements is rolled out to our production line and/or end users for updating systems.

Since we are dealing with a secruity issue here - I think a new BIOS is pretty important. Also I want to run Optane Memory in the M.2 slot and I need the MSI fix to do that. Thanks.

As much as it might suck to wait, we all made the decision to purchase a Corsair One system, which has specific modified parts (motherboard included). That doesn't automatically put us at the top of the list for updates.

Yes, a security problem exists - one that every company is having to deal with. It's a nightmare situation for them, and yes for us end users.

BUT, I would rather have a stable BIOS that has passed all the QAs that it needs to, rather than one is simply rushed out because people demand it. Corsair are not going to forget about us or abandon us.

I suspect that the BIOS update is still being tweaked to make sure there are no issues with it. This happens sometimes, look at the current delay in the latest Win 10 build; MS found a fault the day before they were going to roll out the new build and had to pull it. We may get it in two weeks. Maybe four. Depends on how long it takes to fix the bug they found.

This is the same situation with the BIOS update. In fact the Win 10 update might be what's causing the delay.

But lets be chill about it. It will be sorted out.

There is a sticky thread on top of this forum where links will be put *when* the update becomes available for us to download.

Archived