Corsair Community

Any ETA on RGB Lua scripting?

KarmaQueen

As the title suggests, I'm curious as to when the lua script programming is arriving.

I've checked out some of the unofficial drivers, but I didn't get it working and don't have the time to try to fix it.

If not some general ETA, I would like some confirmation that LUA scripting is still in the works, as it's already been many months since that possibility was mentioned.

Cheers

Hopefuly for the next update after the current one in beta right now. With the next firmware we'll have a new USB protocol which is supposed to fix the current issues. Once those are fixed and out of the way I figure they'll start focusing on adding more functionality (LUA), that's just my personal opinion though.

Probably after this next couple firmware updates that actually fix the current functionality issues (16.8m colors, lights freezing, etc...). Adding LUA scripting in the current state would only bring more issues as of this time. It might be until the end of the year before LUA scripting becomes a possibility for implementation.

I didn't realise 16.8m was a fixable issue, and yes, I noticed that the drivers sonetime crashed, making me reconnect the keyboard every now and then.

16.8m colors is indeed a fixable issue, as the keyboard itself is capable of showing 16.8m colors, but the USB stack size and how CUE interacts with the firmware and the computer prevents it from showing 16.8m colors as of now. It'll probably require both a firmware and a software update to get it working.

16.8m colors is indeed a fixable issue, as the keyboard itself is capable of showing 16.8m colors, but the USB stack size and how CUE interacts with the firmware and the computer prevents it from showing 16.8m colors as of now. It'll probably require both a firmware and a software update to get it working.

Yes with the new update users will need a new firmware and software.

I didn't realise 16.8m was a fixable issue, and yes, I noticed that the drivers sonetime crashed, making me reconnect the keyboard every now and then.

KarmaQueen,

I have a K95 RGB keyboard that I think I might be having driver problems with, you tell me if this sounds similar to the problem you're having.

Sometimes when I wake my PC up from a night of sleep mode, the software acts like it is locked up (can't open it) and my G-keys do not work. The only fix that I've found so far is restarting my computer, but that's really inconvenient for me in my line of work. I'm curious if your problem is similar and if you have a way of waking your keyboard up without restarting your computer?

I've tried un-plugging the kb, resetting the keyboard bios (with the switch on the back), and restarting the CUE software.

Please let me know if you've got a fix for this!

• Corsair Employee
Lua scripting at the moment is on the backburner because of resources dedicated to all the important tasks. There is something exciting we have planned for the next big CUE Enhancement that we'll be able to show off very shortly, however.

• Corsair Employee
KarmaQueen,

I have a K95 RGB keyboard that I think I might be having driver problems with, you tell me if this sounds similar to the problem you're having.

Sometimes when I wake my PC up from a night of sleep mode, the software acts like it is locked up (can't open it) and my G-keys do not work. The only fix that I've found so far is restarting my computer, but that's really inconvenient for me in my line of work. I'm curious if your problem is similar and if you have a way of waking your keyboard up without restarting your computer?

I've tried un-plugging the kb, resetting the keyboard bios (with the switch on the back), and restarting the CUE software.

Please let me know if you've got a fix for this!

Our next firmware and software update should resolve this. I suspect CUE shows your keyboard as malfunction?

Our next firmware and software update should resolve this. I suspect CUE shows your keyboard as malfunction?

James,

The CUE doesn't show anything when I have my issue, it's usually locked up entirely when I have that problem.

It's taken them over 8 months to get 16.8 million colors (sort of) but with flickering due to keyboard hardware restraints. I'll go for another 18 months for some sort of LUA scripting as this is another important thing some competitors already have.

I have watched some LUA programming tutorials, but how exactly will LUA be useful? And will it have any impact or benefit to the typical keyboard user or gamer?

Say you want your keyboard to flash red when the ability cools down. how can you do that? you could pre set the time in the profile but if you add CDR then the cool down changed time and your pre set time will be wrong. So with LUA you can check for that information.

Say you want your keyboard to flash red when the ability cools down. how can you do that? you could pre set the time in the profile but if you add CDR then the cool down changed time and your pre set time will be wrong. So with LUA you can check for that information.

Well, that's assuming CUE will have the ability to read the memory of other programs in the future. Then there's the issue of some other programs not liking outside programs reading their memory.

To add to that, with LUA, you can basically treat the keyboard like a screen. You can program little games that you'll be able to play on the keyboard and do all kinds of algorithmic lighting effects that aren't possible or extremely hard to do with CUE alone.

Well, that's assuming CUE will have the ability to read the memory of other programs in the future. Then there's the issue of some other programs not liking outside programs reading their memory.

That is part of my concern. How well will we be able to take advantage of the LUA scripting.

Some devices in the past have had limited ability at creating custom profiles for games, but very little use has been made of such abilities.

To add to that, with LUA, you can basically treat the keyboard like a screen. You can program little games that you'll be able to play on the keyboard and do all kinds of algorithmic lighting effects that aren't possible or extremely hard to do with CUE alone.

I can see the potential there. One example might be a SIMON type of game, but I am sure there are much more complex types of number and puzzle games that could be played on the keyboard. Of course we can always hope for interface into published PC games also.

Ok well of course there are going to be games where they dont want you reading the memory but not really Corsairs problem if thats the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Awesome. I'll be honest, the key features that stood out to me was changes colour, will be programmable, and is really well built. The 16.8m colours isn't a huge issue for me, while its sad it wasn't there on release and it flickers now, I don't mind. :D: I cant wait for it, thanks for the reassurance Zheren159.

Yeah I really hope they get that ready soon. I'm a bit late to the K70 RGB party and I was disappointed to see they don't have that feature promised almost a year ago. The existing system isn't bad by any means, but so much more would be possible to implement with various algorithms working on an arrays in memory. For people that already think in algorithms and object logic it might even be easier to implement complex lighting profiles.

I'd really like to start learning some LUA, as I already have a bit of experience with C++, Java, Python, and VB. This would be a great way to get into LUA and have some simple goals to achieve.

Yeah I really hope they get that ready soon. I'm a bit late to the K70 RGB party and I was disappointed to see they don't have that feature promised almost a year ago. The existing system isn't bad by any means, but so much more would be possible to implement with various algorithms working on an arrays in memory. For people that already think in algorithms and object logic it might even be easier to implement complex lighting profiles.

I'd really like to start learning some LUA, as I already have a bit of experience with C++, Java, Python, and VB. This would be a great way to get into LUA and have some simple goals to achieve.

AFAIK it'll still be quite a while until we get it since LUA support isn't their focus right now.

Archived