Corsair Community

CarpeDiem

Does Corsair test the memory modules it recommends in each motherboard it recommends them for? For example, on the Memory Configurator page for the GA-EX58-UD5, it says "Guaranteed-Compatible Memory," so testing seems implied. I am confused because the motherboard manual says it supports "6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets" but the Memory Configurator recommends 1.65V memory.

I would also like to know what performance difference there is between DDR3-1600 and DDR-1333 (i.e. TR3X6G1600C9 and TR3X6G1333C9).

Thank you in advance.

• Corsair Employee

Yes we do test our memory in the motherboards: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75918

The motherboard you have listed runs 1.5v memory by default. However, it also has OCing options to run high performance OCing memory rated up to 1.65v.

Of the 2 memory kits you listed, the 1600 is tested and validated to run at DDR-1600, the 1333 at DDR-1333.

You can find more information here:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corei7/default.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for not writing back sooner, but things have been very hectic.

Of the 2 memory kits you listed, the 1600 is tested and validated to run at DDR-1600, the 1333 at DDR-1333.

So does that mean the DDR-1600 memory is about 20% faster?

The differential as not as marked as one would think. This is because there is a difference between maximal theoretical and reality use. The differences between the mathematical maximum throughput is not a good method of determining speed. What is important is to marry the speed of the processing units to the entire data stream. One to one is a good ratio and to run the memory faster than the CPU helps the events of advanced speed with processor halts. Whenever a processor halts for any error correction an entire thread is halted and if that thread is (as often is the case) used with many branches on a predictive course then there can be multiple stalls on a CPU when such threads are running. Otherwise, much of the extra speed is theoretical due to no portions of the data transfer system are at all saturated and empty portions of memory not being used and data being currently transferred is only a portion of the data that could be transferred if the entire system was being maximally used.

Now, one to one with the i7 is achieved on a 1066Mhz bus. Anything over one to one can, in the right situations (one of which I wrote on) can bring faster responses. In forms of data encryption, decryption, a large archival of small files, large databases etc. etc. will certainly benefit.

So, anything over 1333Mhz is what I consider a "Want" rather than a "Need" for a snappy system. :D:

If you want to do some overclocking, then no doubt faster memory is necessary to reach your desired levels.

Archived