Corsair Community

Combining sp120 and ll120

joetarps

I am pretty new to rgb and fan setups and was wandering if I can combine having ll120s on the front of my 460x and have sp120s inside controlling them all through link. Eventually I will get all ll120s but can't afford it at this point.

If this is possible I was wandering what exactly I will need to do it.

I also have a corsair h55 liquid cooler and was wondering if I can fit an sp120 on it

Thanks

It's possible but we don't know what we're working with here. Can you please fill out your system specs by clicking on the "Edit System Specs" link. Please make sure to include the Corsair devices, even if you put them in boxes like "Hard Drive 3".

Also, take a look at the Cooler FAQ linked in my signature.

Filled in my specs,

i was thinking of using the stock sp120's inside the computer, one as the cpu cooler fan and 1 as the exhaust fan and then installing 3 new ll120s on the front and then controlling them all with link to combine with a keyboard rgb effect.

I am pretty new to rgb and fan setups and was wandering if I can combine having ll120s on the front of my 460x and have sp120s inside controlling them all through link. Eventually I will get all ll120s but can't afford it at this point.

If this is possible I was wandering what exactly I will need to do it.

I also have a corsair h55 liquid cooler and was wondering if I can fit an sp120 on it

Thanks

RE the cooler.. yeah can get those fans on there no problems

RE RGB... have a read of this buddy... will explain everything you need to know ;)

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Filled in my specs,

i was thinking of using the stock sp120's inside the computer, one as the cpu cooler fan and 1 as the exhaust fan and then installing 3 new ll120s on the front and then controlling them all with link to combine with a keyboard rgb effect.

What cooler are we looking at? I'm sorry, dude, but I failed mind-reading in kindergarten. Even though there isn't a specific slot for it, you can put it in any of the other slots in system specs. It really, really helps.

You can fit them ... you probably won't be able to control all four of them with Link. Without knowing the exact cooler, I really can't give you any more specific guidance.

The H55 doesn't have Link integration at all. Any fan that you attach to it is going to need to handled through a fan controller either on your motherboard or a Commander Pro. The challenge that you'll have is the appropriate temperature source for the fan control. With the CoPro, you can use one of the thermistors and place it in the exhaust air stream to get a relatively close approximation of the coolant temperature.

Without having a radiator in between them, I don't understand why you would want to have push/pull with LL120s and SP120s on that case. I don't think it would help with airflow and it might actually hurt.

The whole idea isn't only to do with cooling to be honest, as I live in the UK it's never particularly hot anyway but I am wanting to have nice looking rgb fans inside the case as well as outside completely linked together without having to buy 2 sets of 3 of the ll120s at once. I just want to combine the ll120s rgb with the sp120 rgb fans as it will save me some money. Eventually I will upgrade to only ll120s. Don't worry about the cooler anyway that would just be an extra that i don't care about very much. I really just want decent cooling with 1, 2 or 3 rgb fans in the case keeping it cool but also looking good.

All I want is an equipment list to get so I can combine the 2 types of fans even in cue with my keyboard to look really good.

As I say I am fairly new to computer builds and especially rgb fans

So ... when you say "inside the case/outside the case", I'm picturing the LL120's and the SP120's together in the front ... an LL120 directly in front of an SP120 ... kind of a 2 fan "sandwich". Is that what you are talking about here? Or are you talking about having the LL's in the front panel of the case and the SP120 RGBs as exhaust or alternative intake in other fan mounting locations?

For starters, you'd need 2 different RGB fan hubs and a Lighting Node Pro ... you should be good with the multipack. You'll have a fan hub with the case and then a second fan hub with the multipack. You won't need to buy another multipack when you get around to replacing the SP fans with more LL fans; you can buy 3 individual fans, which may save you some money.

I was thinking of the 3 ll120s on the outside and then yeah use the others as extra intakes and maybe an exhaust. Do I not need a commander pro o control all 6 fans from my computer as currently I believe the sp120s can only be controlled from the buttons on the top of the case

The SP120 RGB functions can be controlled from a push-button controller that can then be hooked to case buttons (as yours are) or from a Commander Pro (CoPro)/Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) Lighting Channel. There is a connector on the Fan Hub for the controller or CoPro/NoPro connection. Since you'll have a NoPro with the LL fan multipack, that makes the most sense at this time.

If you want to control them with the LL fans and synch them in iCue or Link, then you'll need to have them connected to the NoPro. The LL Fan multipack will come with at least one cable to connect the fan hub; I'm not sure if it'll come with a second cable but you can make them (see my signature for instructions).

You'll have at least one with your LL Fan multipack. You may have two; I'm not sure about that. It'll be a cable with 2 wires on a 3-pin connector.

And no, I've not seen anyplace where you can buy them. And since you are in the UK, with shipping, it wouldn't be cost effective for you if I made you one and shipped it to you. I've looked into it and the shipping costs are crazy. It'd be basically the same cost to buy a CoPro locally, which will have two connector cables.

In order to do the fans as I described in the diagram, you'll need to have two cables to connect the fan hub to the lighting channel on the NoPro. These are not available anywhere that I've found. What I don't know is if you get one or two of these in the LL Fan Multipack. You will get at least one. If you get two, you're good. If you only get one, you'll have to use it to control the LL fans and you'll have to use the push button controller for the SP fans (as you currently are), which will likely be less than ideal. Unfortunately, these cables are not available separately anywhere that I've seen; the only option is to make them or have them made for you.

Archived