Corsair Community

Flash Voyager Mini 16GB USB 3.0-Stick wird von Mac nicht erkannt

luca.obermayr

Hallo,

ich habe ein Problem mit meinem Flash Voyager® Mini 16GB USB 3.0-Stick. Ich habe ihn vor Kurzem bei Amazon gekauft und als ich ihn das erste Mal in mein neues Macbook Pro Retina einsteckte - geschah nichts. Ok, beim alten Macbook mit USB 2 eingesteckt - wieder nichts. Also wirklich absolut nichts, auch das Festplattendienstprogramm hat den Stick nicht gefunden. Stick zurückgeschickt, auf neuen gewartet - dachte er sei defekt. Neuer Stick kam, Ergebnis war genau das selbe.

Am Wochenende zu Hause in den Windows-PC - funktioniert alles. Neu formatiert (FAT32) - beim Mac zuckt immer nocht nichts. Nochmal formatiert (exFAT) - gleiches Ergebnis.

Das ist mir wirklich noch nie mit einem USB Stick passiert. Wie kann es sein dass mein Mac überhaupt nicht reagiert und mit Windows PCs kein Problem ist? Ich meine FAT32 und exFAT können doch beide von OSX gelesen und beschrieben werden, mit anderen Sticks habe ich überhaupt kein Problem.

Ich würde den Stick ja zurückschicken und mir einen anderen kaufen, jedoch gefällt mir Form/Größe/Verarbeitung so gut dass ich ihn gern behalten würde. Dafür muss er natürlich mit Mac und PC funktionieren.

Vielen Dank, falls ihr Lösungsvorschläge für mich habt!

Luca

I somehow didn't realize I'm in an english forum.. sorry about that

yeah I have the newest Macbook Retina with USB 3, all other USB drives worked fine (have only tested USB 2 drives). But the Voyager Mini didn't work with my old Macbook from 2008 with USB 2 either.

Are there any compatibility problems with OSX known? Cause I really got absolutely no reaction at both my Macbooks when I plugged the USB in..

That's really disappointing to me because I really like the USB stick and just can't imagine why it wouldn't work with macs, there gotta be some fix for that

I think I'm seeing the same problem (although I can't read the OP sorry). I also have a Retina Macbook Pro and have just received 6 x Voyager Mini USB 3.0 64GB drives (as presents for colleagues). I've tried 3 of the drives and while they work in Windows 7 and Linux (Ubuntu 12.04.3), they do not even detect on Mac OS X. I've tried them in several machines:

1) MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013 (MacbookPro10,2) - OS X 10.8 5

2) MacBook Pro (MacbookPro8,1) - OS X 10.6.8

3) MacBook Pro (MacbookPro5,5) - OS X 10.8.3

I've tried connecting direct to USB3, USB2 ports and via a USB hub. The drive does not come up in Disk Utility, nor are any messages generated in the logs viewable in Console.app.

I tried reformatting one to FAT32 to see if that changed anything, but I'm getting the same result. I have also tried formatting with the SDFormat tool on Windows (to exfat though, not ntfs) and this had no effect.

I have downloaded and installed the Mac IOUSBFamily debug kext and rebooted to see if more log messages would be generated in Console.app - however the only log message I see is the following when *unplugging* the drive direct from the Macbook's USB 3.0 port:

11/12/13 10:17:14.000 AM kernel[0]: USBF: 279.630 AppleUSBHubPort[0xffffff803ad26600]::PortStatusChangedHandler - Hub 0x15000000 port 3: link error count increased by 1, linkState: 0x5 (Rx.Detect))

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Edit: Also, when I plug the drive into a USB 2.0 hub, the light on that port of the hub turns on, so it seems some connection is being made. However still no messages in the system logs and no additional devices in Disk Utility or /dev/disk*

I've managed to obtain some more information using the program "USB Prober.app" - the OS is indeed seeing the drive, however it is listed as an "Unknown Device". Here is a summary (full file available as attachment):

Super Speed device @ 3 (0x15300000): ............................................. Unknown device: "Voyager Mini 3.0"

Port Information: 0x101a

Not Captive

Attached to Root Hub

External Device

Connected

Enabled

Connected to External Port

Number Of Endpoints (includes EP0):

Total Endpoints for Configuration 1 (unconfigured): 3

Device Descriptor

Descriptor Version Number: 0x0300

Device Class: 8 (Unknown)

Device Subclass: 6

Device Protocol: 80

Device MaxPacketSize: 9

Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x1B1C/0x1A0C (CORSAIR MEMORY INC.)

Device Version Number: 0x0110

Number of Configurations: 1

Manufacturer String: 1 "Corsair"

Product String: 2 "Voyager Mini 3.0"

Serial Number String: 3 "07083BCC9F560866"

I have attached two files:

- "USB Bus Probe.txt" listing of all USB devices

- "USB Log.txt" level 3 log when plugging in the drive

Perhaps someone can see what is going wrong based on the information within.

USB Bus Probe.txt

USB Log.txt

I had the same problem with Corsair 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Voyager Mini (CMFMINI3-16GB) in Apple Air 13 inch.

[1] Utilities->Disk Utility, the Flash didn't show up there

[2] Utilities->System Information->Hadware->USB, I found "Voyager Mini 3.0" under "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus.

The details windows shows:

Voyager Mini 3.0:

product ID: 0x1a0c

Vendor ID: 0x1b1c (CORSAIR MEMORY INC.)

Version: 1.10

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speed: Up to 5GB/sec

Manufactureer: Corsair

Location ID: 0x152000000 / 6

Current Available (mA): 900

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

BTW, this disk can be recognized by my Windows 7 laptop, and Ubuntu 12.04 laptop without any issue. I did format this flash as FAT32.

Received this drive (Voyager Mini 16 GiB) as a gift tonight, excited about its portability and slim profile. Was not recognized by my 2011 15" MBP. BIOS is read under System Profiler, listed as not configured, but is not available for formatting in Disk Utility.

• 2 weeks later...

I also bought two 32GB Corsair Voyager mini 3.0 and have the same problem. They are not working on a MacBook Pro 2012 15" non-retina, nor on a MacBook Air 2013 13". Under Windows they work, but under MacOS 10.8 or 10.9 they don't. I changed also the partition type, thinking it might work, but without any success.

I contacted their support in order to refer and solve eventually this problem, but they didn't even reply after a week, even though they are stating an under 24 hours reply.

The sad part is that Corsair is falsely stating on their product's specs website that these memories are compatible with MacOS! Before I made the acquisition, I checked on the website to be sure if it's compatible with MacOS. ("Support for Microsoft Windows®, Mac OS X®, and Linux with no driver or software installation necessary")

I'm pretty sure they didn't even bother to test these new memory sticks on every operating system before releasing them to the market. They just preferred to lie to their customers...

I'll get back to you guys when I will receive an answer from them.

Originally posted by: drg_c

I'm pretty sure they didn't even bother to test these new memory sticks on every operating system before releasing them to the market. They just preferred to lie to their customers...

Aww, cmon, Corsair doesn't fly like that. :)

Ok, so I got a reply from the customer support. They said there is a problem with the flash controller and I'll be getting a replacement as soon as possible.

See! ;)::p:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the drive some weeks ago, especially for transferring files from my PCs to my Macs.

But I was quite busy since then and only had used it on a pc - where everything was fine.

But as i carried it around with me (as it is suppose to be, being a voyager and all...;-) ) I has some small scratches. Thst is totally OK with me, but I'm quite sure that at the store where i bought it (Germany) they will not replace it for that reason.

Is there a way to update the firmware on my own, or is there a way I can send in the drive and get a replacement by CORSAIR directly?

Thanks!

I bought the drive some weeks ago, especially for transferring files from my PCs to my Macs.

But I was quite busy since then and only had used it on a pc - where everything was fine.

But as i carried it around with me (as it is suppose to be, being a voyager and all...;-) ) I has some small scratches. Thst is totally OK with me, but I'm quite sure that at the store where i bought it (Germany) they will not replace it for that reason.

Is there a way to update the firmware on my own, or is there a way I can send in the drive and get a replacement by CORSAIR directly?

Thanks!

your not explaining what the problem is?

is it not working properly?

I thought that it was clear, that I had the same problem as the original poster. My (64GB) drive is working fine at my PC, but none of my Macs does recognise it. It doesn't even show up in Disk-Utiliy, only in System-Information as unknown device.

it may be best to start your own thread describing your issues,when mods read these they usually look at the ops issue and others seem to easily get over looked

of course looking at your error log,id surmise it being a bad drive but im also not very knowledgeable with ssd diagnosis

• 2 months later...
HI, i need help. i have 2 usb 3.0 voyager mini 16gb and mac doesnt recognize.. i've tried in several and diferent OS and it doesnt work in any of the 10 macs i've tried.. the disk utility dont "see" the usb pen. does anyone have the solution for this pleaseeee i really need to put this to work

Archived