Corsair Community

P4P800 + TWINX 3200LL - Please help!

hardfrag

Here is my new configuration I received today : P4P800 Deluxe 2*256Mo Corsair TWINX 3200LL (1.2) When I put the first module (alone) in my motherboard : OK When I put the second module (alone) in my motherboard : the system won't boot due to a memory failure. So, it's logical to say that the second module is dead... But, this second module works perfectly on another old motherboard (KT3 Ulta MSI). That's incredible, isn't it? :woah!:

In fact there 4 DIMM slots on my mobo. The first stick works perfectly alone on each of this 4 slots, the second stick don't work in any of this 4 slots. If the mobo had a problem, the first stick wouldn't work either because the 2 sticks come frome a TWINX pack which mean that there are perfectly identical! That's why it seems totaly crazy :question:

I just had an idea : if the stick works on the KT3-Ultra and not on the P4P800, it's probably because the KT3Ultra works at 333Mhz and the P4P800 at 400Mhz. So probably this stick works fine at 333 and does not at 400! I will try to force the stick at 333 on the P4P800 to see what happend, (if it's possible on the BIOS?)... What do you think about this idea?

The TwinX set means they are very similiar and made from the same batch however that does not mean they are perfectly identical. I've had a few TwinX sets that are like that where one doesn't function as well as the other in a partially dead mobo. However since your mobo doesn't seem to be the problem it looks like you might have to RMA it. Ram Guy can RMA just that single module if you like but it probably would be better to RMA it as a pair since it is a TwinX set.

• Corsair Employee
We are sorry that you are having trouble, but I would ask the reseller if they could help you to Test/Replace the modules. Also if you have another MB you can use to test the modules it may help to isolate the problem. Ram Guy

The trouble is that I live in south-america (French Guyana), and it's impossible to find in such isolated location, somebody who has the same mobo! That the reason why, first of all, I will exchange my twinx paxk with my reseller, and after that : wait and see for the mobo...

• Corsair Employee
Please let us know, and just to be clear I would try the timings set to By SPD and the Dim voltage set to 2.75 Volts and Disable USB Legacy support and test the modules one at a time as that may help to isolate the problem on ASUS P4P800. Ram Guy

With SPD, 2.75v and legacy out always the same thing : first stick alone :) , second stick alone :( I am waiting for remplacement modules, and hope it will solve my problem. I will give you some news about this new modules as soon as possible. :winking:

• 4 weeks later...
My reseller tested my TWINX pack on the same motherboard (another P4P800) and had the same problem : one of my two sticks didn't work. So same conclusion. As my reseller didn't have no other 2*256Mo TWINX LL pack for remplacement, I exchanged it with an 2*512Mo TWINX LL rev1.2 (of course I had to pay for the difference :roll: ). Anyway, this new sticks works perfectly together with SPD values (2.5-3-2-6) at 200Mhz. If I set manually to 2-3-2-6 the system don't boot up (black screen). Each stick alone in the mobo (single channel) works perfectly at 2-3-2-6. When they are together (Dual channel) the system don't boot up at 2-3-2-6. Of course I tried with 2.75V, USB Legacy disable and no Performance Mode. I precise that in 2.5-3-2-6 they work perfectly (dual channel) till 220Mhz. If I set the 4/5 ratio they work prefectly too in 2-3-2-6 at 185Mhz (FSB 230), but not at 200Mhz. I can't say beetwen 185 and 200, because my CPU didn't want to works at more than 230Mhz FSB (probably very bad series of P4C 2.6!). Is this a known compability problem between P4P800 and Corsair TWINX? (only 2.5-3-2-6 instead of 2-3-2-6 in dual channel) Thanks for your answers!

• Corsair Employee
Well its sometimes the MB or CPU that just will not run at Cass 2. But If you like I have no problem replacing your modules for you directly. But the fact that you can run them up to 220 Mhz would suggest some other problem. Ram Guy

• Corsair Employee
Timings and Freq. are not directly related but normally if a memory module will run at Cass 2.5 at 220 Mhz the same module would or should be able to run at 210 Mhz at Cass 2. Again I ahve no problem replacing the modules for you but if possible it might not hurt to test them on another MB if possible. For the RMA if needed. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

Thanks for you answer. In fact, it's not very important because I think that the performances of my system are better at 220Mhz 2.5-3-2-6 than at 200Mhz 2-3-2-6. As I live in the asshole of the world, it would be very long and expansive to RMA it again. So I think I will keep my memory.

Archived