Corsair Community

400W vs 500W Corsair ONE - noise level difference?

Wheelbarrow

Corsair ONE team,

Does the 500W Corsair ONE Pro Ti make more or less noise than the 400W version with a regular 1080 in it?

In testing, the 1080Ti is just a few dB louder under heavy load than the regular 1080 (when comparing the full-size Founder's Edition desktop cards)

***see Anandtech's noise comparison here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

Does that slightly higher noise level translate over to the liquid cooling system in the Corsair ONE? Or is the noise difference found in the desktop cards mitigated by the liquid setup and larger headroom from the ONE pro Ti's 500W power supply?

My first thought was that the noise level could actually be lower with the 1080ti version IF the larger power supply doesn't have to work as hard. My logic for this conclusion was:

1. The 1080ti adds 70 watts more power consumption over the 1080

2. The 500 watt power supply on the ONE pro Ti adds 100 watts more PSU headroom

3. Therefore, the ONE pro Ti should actually have a full 30 watts of extra PSU headroom over the One pro with the regular 1080

Am I right here? Would love to hear from the Corsair product team on this one. Thanks so much!

• Corsair Employee

The ONE with the 1080 Ti and SF500 is capable of being slightly louder at full load than the 1080/SF400 configuration. It's not a substantial increase - we're almost comically sensitive to not just noise level but noise character around here - but it is a little louder, though still very quiet by most objective measures.

While the PSU has a little more headroom, the cooling system still has an extra 70W of heat coming off of the graphics card to contend with, which results in us having to add a modest increase to the system fan speed to cope with the additional thermal load.

Again, though, and I can't stress this enough, the 1080 Ti version of Corsair ONE is still exceptionally quiet. We didn't spend all this time engineering one of the quietest - if not the quietest - small form factor, high performance gaming rigs just to say "screw it" when it came to a higher powered configuration. ;)

Archived