Corsair Community

EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin not included with CMPSU-850TX

Hart

Hi,

I purchased a CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 psu. At http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx , it shows that the psu EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin connector is an included connector, however, it was not included with the psu that I received. The EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin connector has one flush side. The connector that is included with the psu that I received has no flush sides. There are additional plastic parts on both sides so that I can't install it because a mobo part (white bar in attachment 1) is almost flush with the psu port on my GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 mobo and there's no room for the additional plastic parts that are on either side of the connector.

Does Corsair have an adapter that I can request?

I've attached a picture of the

1. mobo port for the psu connector

2. a picture of the connector that was included with the CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 psu that can't fit into the mobo port

3. a picture of the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin connector that was supposed to be included with the psu according to Corsair site. This is the connector that I need, with one flush side. http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx

Motherboard 1 c 8-pin connector.bmp

1320912003_8-holeconnector.jpg.447b2e295d88349661eec656b9723296.jpg

eps-atx12v_8-4_pin.jpg.276f68c5e61e366e39c968a29742ce18.jpg

• Corsair Employee

The Corsair 8 pin EPS connector that you have has worked fine with the Gigabyte MOBOs in our lab. Our connector is 2 x 4 pin connectors that can be seperated for older MOBOs that only use a 4 pin EPS connector.

Have you tried wiggling the connector as you insert it? It should slide in but with a snug fit.

Hi RAM GUY,

I could try using only 4 pins (I haven't yet tried to insert only 4 pins) but since the port is an 8-pin and the connector is an 8-pin, I'd prefer to use all 8 pins with the connector that was supposed to be included with the psu. Does Corsair have an adapter?

Does Corsair have a CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 psu that has the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin that is shown as an included connector? My case will hold 12 hdds, some 1T and some 2T. I don't want to use only 4 out of the 8 pins for power to the cpu.

• Corsair Employee
Hi RAM GUY,

I could try using only 4 pins (I haven't yet tried to insert only 4 pins) but since the port is an 8-pin and the connector is an 8-pin, I'd prefer to use all 8 pins with the connector that was supposed to be included with the psu.

I'm not sure what you mean here. We would not suggest using only a 4 pin connector if your MOBO does not specify that you can use 4 or 8.

Have you tried wiggling the connector as you insert it? We have had the same situation here in the lab but have not yet found a MOBO that the connectors will not fit.

Also, all of our PSUs have this 4+4 configuration for greatest compatibility. So, changing PSUs is not going to resolve it but also should not be necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean here. We would not suggest using only a 4 pin connector if your MOBO does not specify that you can use 4 or 8.

Even though my mobo can use a 4-pin connector, Corsair was to supply an EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin with one flat surface so that the purchaser could use the entire 8-pin connector.

I need the connector that Corsair said was to be included with the psu. Potential problems, by giving the psu only 1/2 power, 4-pins instead of the 8-pins that my mobo asks for, with a system that will have twelve very large internal hdds, isn't a viable option. I also have 4 external USB 2.0 hdds and 5 firewire exernals. Did Corsair's labs test a Gigabyte mobo with this many drives using only a 4-pin connector?

Does Corsair have a CMPSU-850TX 850W psu with the stated 8-pin connector with one flat side?

• Corsair Employee

I have already answered this above. The 8 pin connectors on our PSUs are the 8 or 4 configuration. This is stated in the TX-850 literature. And, I am sorry but there is no mention of and no specification that requires a plug to perfectly flat on 1 side.

As for your MOBO, keep in mind that your aforementioned internal HDs will not be pulling their power from the MOBO. They will get it directly from the PSU via the 4 pin molex or SATA power cable, whichever is applicable to your HDs. Your external drives I believe have their own power for the HDs also so this is not a concern with those.

Have you actually tried installing the 8 pin plug or not? As I said, we have tested it with several MOBOs that crowd components close to the 8 pin power plug. I bit of finesse and it goes right in. This is very similar to the EP45T Extreme and the X48 DQ6.

If you go to http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx , and click on "Resources," you will see the connector, with one flat side, named EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin, that is to be included with Corsair's TX series psu's. It is on Corsair's site and it specifically shows the connector with one flat side. That connector was to be included with the psu, according to Corsair's "Corsair TX Series Connectors."

Have you actually tried installing the 8 pin plug or not? As I said, we have tested it with several MOBOs that crowd components close to the 8 pin power plug.
Yes, I've tried to install the connector but, if you had looked at the picture of the port on my motherboard that I attached to my first post, you would have seen that the port on the motherboard has no room at all for anything but a connector with a flat side, a connector that is in Corsair's specs of the psu. The attached picture was downloaded from Corsair's site in which it shows the connectors that are included with its TX series. Corsair's picture shows that a connector with one flat side would be included with the purchase of the psu.

eps-atx12v_8-4_pin.jpg.35ac76b0ba1ce224b5208262a97d1e08.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Hart, I checked for you and I have a solution. Please shave that small connecting pin off the back of the EPS connector if you still are unable to get it into the slot. This will NOT void your warranty and should get you fixed up.

Archived