Corsair Community

570x Hydro X Build Advice (with EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra)

I plan to install an EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hydro copper card into my 570x and would like to mount a 360 radiator in front. It looks like I may not have space to mount the pump due to the length of the EVGA card. Is there any chance I'll be able to mount the pump to the bottom of the case, rather than on the radiator...and make everything fit?

I plan to install an EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hydro copper card into my 570x and would like to mount a 360 radiator in front. It looks like I may not have space to mount the pump due to the length of the EVGA card. Is there any chance I'll be able to mount the pump to the bottom of the case, rather than on the radiator...and make everything fit?

Same exact situation as you. and same card. guess what? it's not gonna work. the space between that card and the radiator in the front is impossible and the pump won't fit. your options are upgrade your case to a better case. im gonna upgrade mine to a corsair 1000d. 500$ case gonna save some money though. U don't have to go with that case there are some cheap options from corsair. for example. the corsair 680x case it's big. but u cannot fit the pump in tthe front and u have to put it back in the chamber which the downside to it, is you cannot see it. and there's also corsair 678c case. It has a downside also, bad airflow the front is closed. good luck.

Same exact situation as you. and same card. guess what? it's not gonna work. the space between that card and the radiator in the front is impossible and the pump won't fit. your options are upgrade your case to a better case. im gonna upgrade mine to a corsair 1000d. 500$ case gonna save some money though. U don't have to go with that case there are some cheap options from corsair. for example. the corsair 680x case it's big. but u cannot fit the pump in tthe front and u have to put it back in the chamber which the downside to it, is you cannot see it. and there's also corsair 678c case. It has a downside also, bad airflow the front is closed. good luck.

What do you think about placing a 240 rad up top? I believe the 240 hydro x rad is 30 mm thick.

The 240mm size is the only option up top. Not clear what kind of hardware you are trying to cool. Presumably CPU only and you still have the pump/res to deal with. Having to go down a radiator size while adding more complex pieces to your case may not be as rewarding. You may wish to look at charbel's thread with similar questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=187806

The 240mm size is the only option up top. Not clear what kind of hardware you are trying to cool. Presumably CPU only and you still have the pump/res to deal with. Having to go down a radiator size while adding more complex pieces to your case may not be as rewarding. You may wish to look at charbel's thread with similar questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=187806

I'm considering the setup described in that thread...with a 120 rad in the back and a 240 on top. From a cooling perspective, would that really be equivalent to a single 360 rad?

240+140 is the same surface area as a 360mm radiator of similar thickness. Technically the 240+120 will have a higher flow resistance, but that is not necessarily a cooling limitation and not a problem for a D5 pump. However, in terms of raw temperature data you will be hard pressed to do better with a top and rear exhaust in the GPU heat zone compared to an AIO 360mm on the front intake. The most charitable analysis would be almost the same temp at noticeable cost. I am more cynical and would expect it to fare slightly worse in mixed load usage.

You can keep looking through other 460/570x custom loops to see if someone found a creative way to stick the pump elsewhere, but most pump/res will be of similar size and this is not a case of just a few mm to big. Maybe a 5.25” style reservoir and some nifty tube work. However, none of these are going to be as space or cost efficient as the typical AIO design.

240+140 is the same surface area as a 360mm radiator of similar thickness. Technically the 240+120 will have a higher flow resistance, but that is not necessarily a cooling limitation and not a problem for a D5 pump. However, in terms of raw temperature data you will be hard pressed to do better with a top and rear exhaust in the GPU heat zone compared to an AIO 360mm on the front intake. The most charitable analysis would be almost the same temp at noticeable cost. I am more cynical and would expect it to fare slightly worse in mixed load usage.

I'm currently using a H100i Platinum on my CPU, which I could just leave in place. I'm primarily interested in water cooling my EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 using the hydro copper block. Would a 120 rad be sufficient?

Edited by jrwininger

...I'm primarily interested in water cooling my EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 using the hydro copper block. Would a 120 rad be sufficient?

OK, it took a long time to get to that and it does change the conversation. You won't be strapping an AIO to your GPU, at least not easily. Also the 135-165W of an overclocked CPU is a whole lot less than the steady stream of 300W+ you get when gaming.

Technically, you can cool a 1080/2080 Ti card with a single pane 120mm radiator. This is how hybrid coolers are set up. I ran a Titan X(P) this way clocked as high as it would go for a while. It is usable, it will transport heat to the exit point rather than splash it all over the case, and it is sometimes less noisy depending on your card type. Certainly better than the shrill reference blowers of old.

However, you are going to get a lot of coolant temperature increase on a single 120mm radiator. I was pretty stunned to be getting +14C on a my standalone 280mm GPU loop when I first got my 2080 Ti. The coolant rise on my Titan X(P) was about +20-25C in hybrid form on a 120mm. On that card, it worked well since it has very good thermal transfer. I never went past 54C on the hottest day and most of the time the temps in the 40s. However, the Turing GPU chip is not as thermally friendly and you will have a significant above coolant temp offset. I also think you are looking at coolant rise of +25C min. I would expect end GPU temps in the 60s with the 120mm radiator and that is probably what you get on air. It would have the not insignificant benefit of dumping all that heat straight out the back of the case, thus decreasing your internal radiator temps (and everything else). The best place for comparison numbers might be to look at the reviews (including user reviews) of the EVGA Hybrid or anyone else with that package. Putting the CPU 240 up top and the GPU on a 120 hybrid platform may be functional for you. I ran that way in my 740 for a long time it was a very good, very cool set-up.

If the GPU temps are too high for your liking, then you need more. Full water block, pump/res, etc. Ideally, you keep your ~150 something watt CPU on a separate loop than your 300W GPU. That can be an AIO for the CPU and custom loop for the GPU. However, in situations were you tax one heavily and the other very little there are gains to be had when combining. I dropped my coolant (and thus GPU temp) another 4-5C by turning my separate 280mm systems into a dual 280mm system. However, that brings you back around to the original problem. You are looking at 240 + 120mm and I don't see that as an advantage over what you're doing now or two separate AIO systems (GPU hybrid). If you really want to combine the cooling system for this hardware, you need more space.

Edited by c-attack

OK, it took a long time to get to that and it does change the conversation.

Sorry, I should have provided more detail with my original question. Honestly, I think I'm in denial regarding the fact that there's no good way to create an optimal water loop in the 570x case with the FTW3 GPU. Really wish I bought a GPU with a reference PCB.

I understand. My MSI EK X is as wide as a tractor trailer and nearly as long. Looks great in my 740 Air, but trying to change cases would be a problem and I also can’t do a front radiator with this GPU.

Something that might work is if you did a vertical gpu bracket. That may create enough space to squeeze in a pump/res but without the case on hand that is a guess. Aside from that, there is a FTW3 hybrid kit. See if you can find some user reviews.

Edited by c-attack

Horizontal reservoir mounting - Be careful. It is a royal pain to fill and close off in a lot of models. It looks cool, but you need to really do your homework. Another option would be check out the 5.25" size pump-res combos. While those were always a bit second class in the past, some things have changed and they may have far more utility outside of a bay drive and with a more compact shape. Again, look hard at user reviews.

There should not be any issue using the specific 2080 Ti FTW3 EVGA GPU water block with anyone else's fitting, pump, reservoir, or radiators. Since EVGA does not make those other products, they need it to be compatible with mainstream hardware. It is the mixing of metal types that can lead to trouble, like aluminum with copper. All of the things you are looking at are going to be copper or nickel-plated copper, including all of the Corsair line.