Corsair Community

Corsair Air 740 EATX?

MeatFeastMan

I currently use an air 740 for my FX 9590 build, and I'm planning to upgrade to zen2 when it releases in July. I have my sights set on the 3900x and the MSI x570 Creation motherboard. The only issue is that it's EATX. I know you say on your product page that EATX isn't supported, however..

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-carbide-air-740-atx-cube-mid-tower-case,4755.html

In this review by Tom's Hardware, they are using a Rampage V motherboard which is EATX and they say the following:

'With 13.1” of card clearance behind the fans and a flat motherboard tray that extends all the way to the front panel, the Carbide Air 740 is, in fact, large enough internally to hold a full EATX (13” mounting depth) motherboard. Of course it doesn’t have all the holes for a fourth column of standoffs, but most of the enthusiast-class boards that receive an EATX label are far too shallow to reach that front column of standoffs. Its additional passages offer easy cable access with oversized motherboards installed, but the lack of an EATX label is certain to create arguments between in-the-know builders with 10.6”-deep boards and know-it-alls who argue that because of the labeling, this is not a proper EATX solution.'

So...would the x570 Creation fit in the case properly, or would it not? If it would, is there any problems I would face? And if I don't have the fourth column of standoffs, is there anything I'd have to do?

Since we don't have the exact size (I assume it's the same as most others), we'll just use the x399 creation numbers. So let's say the x570 creation has a size of:

12 in. x 10.7 in. (30.4 cm x 27.2 cm)

Thanks.

The room is there. The E-ATX board will occupy about half of the second grommet layer, but still leaving it usable and another set closer to the front. What you won't be able to do is bolt down the leading edge of the board since the stand-offs aren't there. This should only be an issue if you like to pick up your case by grabbing the motherboard. I was looking for a picture of a Maximums Extreme in this case and the last time this question came up (and I was considering one for myself), we dug up a bunch of pictures. That thread is out there somewhere, but the simple answer is this should not be a problem and there is a lot of space on all sides.