Corsair Community

Disappointed with fan noise - CX500

JonP

Hi,

I have been using Corsair power supplies for a number of high performance PC builds over the last few years and have been extremely happy with these PSUs. That said, I have only used the high end models for these previous builds (i.e AX860i, etc).

Last week, however, I built a new PC for my mother. Since this PC is only used for internet browsing, performing financial transactions and Skyping, it is not a performance PC and therefore does not require any particular high performance parts.

As a result, I settled for the more basic Corsair CX500 PSU, since it only had to power a micro-ATX mainboard with a Core i5 CPU, one low-powered GPU (GT620), one optical drive and one SSD.

Although the CX500 PSU is obviously more than capable of supplying the required power for this machine, the noise made by the CX500 cooling fan is very disappointing, especially as the PC is otherwise exceptionally quiet. Rather than rotate in near silence like the three other fans in the case, the fan almost sounds like a diesel engine - there is a noise that is clearly coming from the bearings, though it is not suggestive of an imminent failure - just an un-necessarily noisy fan. This is very surprising to me - not only because of my previous excellent experience with Corsair products, but also because the case I used in this project - the Corsair Obsidian 350D - is absolutely fantastic and the 12 cm fans in the case are amazingly quiet (the CX500 fan is easily audible above both the case fans and the CPU fan).

The problem is that I can't really take this back for a replacement as the noise is only a problem because the PC is situated in a very quiet environment and the remainder of the PC is extremely quiet (having three other extremely quiet fans and no mechanical hard drive). So I don't want to spend the time pulling out the power supply from the PC (leaving Mum without a functioning PC), taking it back and getting it rejected for replacement because the fan is only "a bit" noisier than other 12 cm fans. Furthermore, noise is subjective and whilst the noise bothers me, others might not be bothered.

My questions are thus:

1. Is it possible for me to replace the fan in this PSU myself and if so, what are the specifications required for a replacement fan?

2. Does this power supply use a significantly cheaper fan than the higher end (or even midrange) Corsair models, and if so, what would be the "minimum" quality Corsair PSU model required to get a much higher quality fan?

3. Is this noisier fan a "normal for the model" thing to begin with? I see there are a number of posts on the internet about the noisy fans in this model - to be honest in this day and age the last thing I was expecting was a fan of this quality - that is what I would expect from a cheap power supplies included with $50 cases.

As I say, given my chances of it being replaced are slim to none (because the fan works and you are unlikely to hear the problem unless you have good hearing and are in a very quiet room), I am thinking of either cutting my loses and buying a better PSU or replacing the fan in the PSU I already have (despite the fact I will void the warranty).

I also have to consider the situation with my mother as regards having a working PC - RMA'ing any computer parts here in Australia - even if successful - takes between 3 and 8 weeks - sometimes longer. Therefore, form a practical perspective, my choices really only amount to buying a new fan or buying a whole new PSU.

Hi Jon, lemme see if I can answer some of this for you

1. Is it possible for me to replace the fan in this PSU myself and if so, what are the specifications required for a replacement fan?

I'm not saying you "can't" anything is possible. butgenerally the fans in Corsairs PSU are soldered connections. So replaceing them can take some skills above the average joe. Changing the fan would also void your warranty , and given this is a brand new unit, that would be unwise. :)

2. Does this power supply use a significantly cheaper fan than the higher end (or even midrange) Corsair models, and if so, what would be the "minimum" quality Corsair PSU model required to get a much higher quality fan

How does less elegant sound? Cheaper really isn't the right word. It's still a good fan just a different design than the rest of the higher end PSU's. The CX series are not marketed as being super quiet with a minimum db rating of about 18 even at idle.

3. Is this noisier fan a "normal for the model" thing to begin with? I see there are a number of posts on the internet about the noisy fans in this model - to be honest in this day and age the last thing I was expecting was a fan of this quality - that is what I would expect from a cheap power supplies included with $50 cases.

because the fan works and you are unlikely to hear the problem unless you have good hearing and are in a very quiet room),

The fans are going to make some noise, but they shouldnt be THAT loud. But your description sounds completely normal.

You can have it replaced if you want. Really it would be best to start with your resellers and have them replace it. You can provide a link to this thread if you need to. But if they are unwilling to help, then Corsair will replace it for you. Just use the link on the left to request an RMA.

Archived