Corsair Community

Can I overclock a 3000MHz ram to 3066MHz or 3100MHz safely?

digitalizeur

Hello,

I have the Corsair Vengeance PRO rgb 2x8GB Dual Channel Kit with the CL15 mention.

I know not that much about those timings and such things even if I have watched GamerNexus and LinusTechTips videos or TechQuickie...

Whetever, this thing seems very complicated for me.

I mostly play at PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS and I know that Unreal Engine 4 demands to run some very fast memory.

I have a gtx1080ti, a 8700k and a 240hz monitor and I play on something between 154 and 165 fps. Sometimes I can get 178 inside. I would like to not have anymore those little ****terings when loading chunks, and, the command -NOTEXTURESTREAMING is annoying and still does chunks loadings ****terings. I would like to have a little bit less of these ****terings, or having them during a little less time, even in some milliseconds, it's still having a feeling.

So, is there a specific guide for that ram or any guides can do it?

I would like a very small overclock from 3000 to 3066 or 3100. If I can go beyond of these, that would be even better.

Could you guide me to a tutorial?

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely. The XMP values are just a preset of frequency, voltage, and timings. Most kits can run a higher frequency, but usually at the expense of more voltage or higher value timings.

While you could try for 3066 or 3100, it would probably make more sense to use the next standard memory rung of 3200 and your kit should be able to run that without difficulty. You could try a normal loosening of the timings to something like 16-18-36 for 3200 MHz and 1.35v. The other option would be to keep the current 15-17-35 and up the voltage when at 3200. You might need 1.40v. While tuning the secondary and tertiary timings would be more efficient and possible eek out slightly more performance, it is both difficult and time consuming in the least. If you are new to this, leave those on auto and concentrate on the primary timings, DRAM voltage, System Agent voltage VCC(SA), and VCC(IO) voltage. Any time you are getting ready to start memory overclocking in an unknown area, I would suggest you make a system image of your C drive that can be used as a recovery tool. Unlike CPU overclocking that typically resets after the BSOD, memory overclocking has the potential to leave a mark on OS preventing you from booting up. An unplanned fresh install of Windows is never fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Most likely. The XMP values are just a preset of frequency, voltage, and timings. Most kits can run a higher frequency, but usually at the expense of more voltage or higher value timings.

While you could try for 3066 or 3100, it would probably make more sense to use the next standard memory rung of 3200 and your kit should be able to run that without difficulty. You could try a normal loosening of the timings to something like 16-18-36 for 3200 MHz and 1.35v. The other option would be to keep the current 15-17-35 and up the voltage when at 3200. You might need 1.40v. While tuning the secondary and tertiary timings would be more efficient and possible eek out slightly more performance, it is both difficult and time consuming in the least. If you are new to this, leave those on auto and concentrate on the primary timings, DRAM voltage, System Agent voltage VCC(SA), and VCC(IO) voltage. Any time you are getting ready to start memory overclocking in an unknown area, I would suggest you make a system image of your C drive that can be used as a recovery tool. Unlike CPU overclocking that typically resets after the BSOD, memory overclocking has the potential to leave a mark on OS preventing you from booting up. An unplanned fresh install of Windows is never fun.

Hello,

Sorry for being late to read this. Thank you for your clear explanation. I will try this now for the 3200MHz and 16-18-36. I think that I won't create a system image for the moment because I only have a 8gb usb stick and formatting every new Windows build doesn't bothers me. I would like to mention that I haven't overclocked my CPU because I don't see any interests in this. Let's pray now. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=34849&stc=1&d=1546260767

When I read it again, it's easier to set at 3200mhz, set 1,40volts and let everything else on auto. But I need performances.

Damn, but when I read some tutorials... It seems complicated like here : https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/785102-DDR4-RAM-overclocking-101-guide

I think that there's way too much options on my Asus ROG Strix z370-F. I will simply give up. Everything works just fine.

Capture.PNG.49c6a6bd2d4ac392736a2ee92ccf9e2f.PNG

Edited by digitalizeur

When I read it again, it's easier to set at 3200mhz, set 1,40volts and let everything else on auto. But I need performances.

Damn, but when I read some tutorials... It seems complicated like here : https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/785102-DDR4-RAM-overclocking-101-guide

I think that there's way too much options on my Asus ROG Strix z370-F. I will simply give up. Everything works just fine.

There are a lot of options and it is a daunting task to hand clock every timing. That is not something I recommend for casual users and even I don't like to do it. However, you can set your primary timings in a few seconds, then leave all secondary and tertiary timings on auto. (3200 MHZ, 16-18-36-TR 1 or 2, 1.35v). The results will not be as good as a skilled manual tweaking, but it will be better than XMP at 3000.

Even if you are done with this, you can probably tighten things up a little by changing your Command Rate from 2T to 1T (also shown as CR2/CR1 in some programs). That should chop 10-15% off your latency (the way programs test it) and it should require no further adjustments.

You may also have something Asus calls "Memory Tweak 1 and 2" at the top of the DRAM timing page. This is a reflection of how aggressive the auto settings are in respect to setting 2nd and 3rd level timings. The results get marginally better with each level Auto -> Tweak 1 -> Tweak 2, but you may then need to increase voltages if the settings are on the borderline of stability.

Edited by c-attack

I think that there's way too much options on my Asus ROG Strix z370-F.

It might look overwhelming, you don't have to fiddle with all those settings though. Something you have to learn is the basic process of overclocking memory, the tools needed and the limits of your hardware. Most of the individual settings are covered in some sort of guide if they are relevant at all. Still useful for beginners with ASUS LGA1151 motherboards: https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

For specific timing recommendations you would have to check your kit for what ICs it uses. Some ICs offer more OC headroom than others, regardless of the kits rated specs. The scaling properties for all the popular ICs are covered somewhere around the web.

Finally the ASUS ROG models should also have memory OC presets for daily use and some for extreme OC (which not safe for 24/7 use because of the voltages they require). The moderate ones are useful for quick tests and as starting points for manual adjustments.

Even if you are done with this, you can probably tighten things up a little by changing your Command Rate from 2T to 1T (also shown as CR2/CR1 in some programs). That should chop 10-15% off your latency (the way programs test it) and it should require no further adjustments.

Tightening secondary and especially tertiary timings can give a nice boost to bandwidth and memory latency overall esp at higher frequencies when the mainboard starts failing to properly train them. The performance gain from Command Rate 2T -> 1T is minimal in comparison, on LGA1151 at least.

There are a lot of options and it is a daunting task to hand clock every timing. That is not something I recommend for casual users and even I don't like to do it. However, you can set your primary timings in a few seconds, then leave all secondary and tertiary timings on auto. (3200 MHZ, 16-18-36-TR 1 or 2, 1.35v). The results will not be as good as a skilled manual tweaking, but it will be better than XMP at 3000.

You may also have something Asus calls "Memory Tweak 1 and 2" at the top of the DRAM timing page. This is a reflection of how aggressive the auto settings are in respect to setting 2nd and 3rd level timings. The results get marginally better with each level Auto -> Tweak 1 -> Tweak 2, but you may then need to increase voltages if the settings are on the borderline of stability.

Hello, thank you for your explainations. So apparently there's some auto tweakings.

It might look overwhelming, you don't have to fiddle with all those settings though. Something you have to learn is the basic process of overclocking memory, the tools needed and the limits of your hardware. Most of the individual settings are covered in some sort of guide if they are relevant at all. Still useful for beginners with ASUS LGA1151 motherboards: https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

For specific timing recommendations you would have to check your kit for what ICs it uses. Some ICs offer more OC headroom than others, regardless of the kits rated specs. The scaling properties for all the popular ICs are covered somewhere around the web.

Finally the ASUS ROG models should also have memory OC presets for daily use and some for extreme OC (which not safe for 24/7 use because of the voltages they require). The moderate ones are useful for quick tests and as starting points for manual adjustments.

Tightening secondary and especially tertiary timings can give a nice boost to bandwidth and memory latency overall esp at higher frequencies when the mainboard starts failing to properly train them. The performance gain from Command Rate 2T -> 1T is minimal in comparison, on LGA1151 at least.

Well, thank you for your explanations, gonna see what there's like some automatic overclocking for ram..

• 1 year later...
I secretly know it. But there's a special game that can benefit from it: PUBG

What video card do you have? Have you overclocked your video card? I play PUBG and have way better fps now that I have my video card overclocked and using 100% power. PUBG is very demanding on your video card.