Corsair Community

AX850 PSU Fan Orientation Up/Down

Hopkinsstevea

I just recently completed my Maximus V Formula Build with NZXT Full Tower Case. The only way that I could get the power connection leads to fit was to Orientate the Power Supply with the Fan Facing down. I noticed that there was a AX850 Sticker on one side Up and on the other side it was facing down. I assumed that you could have the fan facing down with out any issues. Thinking back I should have checked that this would not be a problem, can any one confirm this for me ?

Thanks for your time

Steve H

IMG_9400.JPG.eadb2711b91a1d4c79f18a3e1538f16e.JPG

I just recently completed my Maximus V Formula Build with NZXT Full Tower Case. The only way that I could get the power connection leads to fit was to Orientate the Power Supply with the Fan Facing down. I assumed that you could have the fan facing down with out any issues. Thinking back I should have checked that this would not be a problem, can any one confirm this for me ?

Not only is it not a problem; it's the recommended way of mounting the PSU because it gets cool air from outside the case instead of hot air from the inside.

• 1 year later...
EXPERIMENTONGOD,

Yes that is true but only if the case he has was designed to work that way. some cases may not have Vent holes for the PSU depending on the case.

I have seen lot of rigs pics that mounts the psu fan facing up, mostly semi-fanless units like AX series. Why can it be? May this way benefit psu cooling in fanless mode due to warm air rises?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
I have seen lot of rigs pics that mounts the psu fan facing up, mostly semi-fanless units like AX series. Why can it be? May this way benefit psu cooling in fanless mode due to warm air rises?

Thanks!

Yes. Otherwise the heat rises into the PSU's PCB, but then the fan should actually turn on.

You also have to make sure you have ample space between the bottom of the chassis and wherever your PC sits... and that you're not sucking up cat hair.

I had a 750tx in a cooler master haf running overclocked i7 920 and 2 overclocked 470s. Needless to say the psu was taking a beating. Just dumping piles of heat with fan spun to full blast in 30-40°C summer. This was taking air from bottom with fan facing down. On a desktop so nothing blocking it. I flipped the psu and it actually barely got warm. SIGNIFICANT difference. Mind you this was in a case with a ton of airflow and massive positive pressure.

Yes. Otherwise the heat rises into the PSU's PCB, but then the fan should actually turn on.

You also have to make sure you have ample space between the bottom of the chassis and wherever your PC sits... and that you're not sucking up cat hair.

Thank you very much? (are you the famous jonnyguru of psu reviews? wouuuuuu!) I will receive tomorrow my new 760T and will mount psu that way, facing up. I actually have an AX860i on Air 540 and heats a lot more than on my previous FT02.

Thanks for response :).

Archived