Corsair Community

M90 ESD and Cursor Stop tracking problems

Raikozy

Hi guys I'm new here. I just recently bought Corsair M90 mouse, extremely satisfied with it, the built quality are just top notch. But i have a few issues and i'm not sure whether it's my mouse or software in general. I got static shocked a lot, like at least 3 times a day, i know its winter right now and everything is so dry, even touching door handle can give me ESD but I'm pretty sure I only touch the plastic part of the mouse and still get ESD. The big problem is most of the time after i get ESD, the mouse will be practically jammed everything including the LED stop working then go back on, once it gets itself together all the buttons working and led are back on but the curson won't move. I have to replug the mouse again to make it work. Sometime when my computer is in sleep mode, it seems that sometime the mouse is in sleep mode too and when i wake it up the same thing happen everything lights up again but cursor stop working, some other time, everything still work properly, i just leave my computer and when i go back the mouse cursor simply doesn't work and i have to replug it again. I know there's a simply fix for this, just replugging it, but It gets really annoying, especially considering the price tag of this mouse. At least i can still live with that, I just want to know whether its my mouse problem which needs RMA or all M90 in general. For electric discharge, is that really dangerous, after ESD everything stop working? I'm kinda scared if it will hurt the mouse and practically kill it in the future or even hurt my whole sytem.

Sorry for lengthy first post, but i just have to say it. I have went through this forum about my mouse problem, it seems that some individuals have similar problems as me

no my entire house is all hardwood. I'm pretty sure it's grounded and btw my computer is connected to belkin anti surge protector so I'm pretty sure its fine. I'm wearing sweater kinda thing at home though cuz its pretty cold right now, would it cause it?

it doesn't help i tried different usb ports same thing happen. Today was the worse, i got zapped multiple times and each time it disconnected and reconnected. Once today, i got ESD and the mouse turned off and even my keyboard and speaker are affected also, and my whole system went BSOD, was it really dangerous? I'm kinda scared if that destroys my entire system? Should I RMA it? is it just my mouse problem or everyone's M90 in general? i just bought this mouse a couple days ago so maybe i can return it to the store and get another replacement

I see. So you have the M90 too and you dont get ESD or disconnected 10 times a day? I hope ncix will give me a replacement, the thing is, i open the box already(well of course lol) and i cut the barcode for rebate already

Maybe this is a little too late to help, but this problem is the reason I came to this forum this morning. I've been noticing the ESD that you mentioned. To be honest, I thought it was something else causing it, cuz I've never been shocked by a mouse before. There is nothing else even close to the mouse though, except a standard rubber mouse pad because it won't track hardly at all on the Icemat that I use for my Logitech gaming mouse. Yes, you're reading this correctly. Because the M90 stops tracking whenever it feels like it, I need a standby mouse to use when I'm in the middle of a raid, I've just aggro'ed the boss, and can't move because my cursor just froze. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd have thrown it at the wall by now.

I know I've said this before, quite a few times, but CORSAIR, I've looked to your products for years, when I need quality and second best just won't do. I'm just one person, and my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'm here to say that for every one of us that will take the time to say, "your product quality has reached an all time low", there's at least a hundred maybe five hundred who agree, but just don't think it will make any difference to state that. Maybe you should enclose an RMA in the box, with all your products.

• Corsair Employee
Maybe this is a little too late to help, but this problem is the reason I came to this forum this morning. I've been noticing the ESD that you mentioned. To be honest, I thought it was something else causing it, cuz I've never been shocked by a mouse before. There is nothing else even close to the mouse though, except a standard rubber mouse pad because it won't track hardly at all on the Icemat that I use for my Logitech gaming mouse. Yes, you're reading this correctly. Because the M90 stops tracking whenever it feels like it, I need a standby mouse to use when I'm in the middle of a raid, I've just aggro'ed the boss, and can't move because my cursor just froze. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd have thrown it at the wall by now.

I know I've said this before, quite a few times, but CORSAIR, I've looked to your products for years, when I need quality and second best just won't do. I'm just one person, and my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'm here to say that for every one of us that will take the time to say, "your product quality has reached an all time low", there's at least a hundred maybe five hundred who agree, but just don't think it will make any difference to state that. Maybe you should enclose an RMA in the box, with all your products.

I don't disagree with you, and I understand the frustration from our peripherals. To be fair though, it is our first foray at peripherals and while it has been a bumpy road, we are constantly improving on our products. A keyboard and mouse is much more sophisticated, especially when it comes to designing it from scratch, than I even assumed. And while our competitors may seem to have better products (given that they also have many more years invested), they too also have problems. A peek into Logitech's forums shows its not peaches and sunshine either. I can guarantee that Razer has the same problems too but they don't have an open forum, which states a lot as well.

While this is not an excuse, I can say that we are doing our best with what resources we have. Compared to release, I feel we've gone a long way in terms of improving the problems people were having. Is the journey over? Not even close, and it will get better given time and effort.

I'll be the first to agree, Logitech's products are problematic. I post pretty close to the same thing in their forums. I started depending on their keyboards and mice when they first introduced wireless to their line. The only thing I ever had a problem with was the wireless receiver.. Their quality has taken a nose-dive. The last wireless keyboard from them, lasted six months, the RMA'd replacement lasted three.

BUT, their incompetence is no excuse. A cursor that just stops tracking is a basic mouse function. One of the major reasons for using a wired mouse is reliability. When the cursor stops, you've just lost control of your whole online gaming environment.

Also, in the public marketplace, nobody markets a product by stating, "we're still new to this technology, buy it and give us a chance, we'll make it better". And, if so, not for the premium prices that your products sell for.

But, I'm still a supporter of your products, just not the all out, guns blazing supporter that I used to be. But, I also support AMD, cuz they had the courage to challenge Intel.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently picked up a m90 mouse and these issues sound pretty much spot on with what I have been experiencing as well. I'm running the m90 on a gigabyte p45ud3p mobo with a corsair hx850 power supply.

When I first got the mouse I ran it for about 2-3 days before I updated the firmware and installed the corsair driver software. It was running ok with the generic windows driver except that if left unattended the leds and mouse would sometimes go unresponsive. Updating firmware and software resolved about 90% of that issue. Though it still sometimes happens on rare occasion. Have to unplug/replug to get working again.

The ESD Issue is present also. Being winter in the north with dry air makes it more prone to happen than others. I think all that is happening here is the ESD is happening just because its a metal object. And the high voltage discharge is enough to interupt the electrical signaling on the usb. It will come back to life after a few seconds, and it doesnt always go dead because of ESD. Depends how severe it is.

I havn't come across any ways to resolve these issues and everything else aside I love the mouse. It fits my hand great and has a wonderful lay out and is extremely comfortable. It's a perfect product for me minus these few issues.

Archived