Corsair Community

Random Shutdown.?

thomsen91

Hello clever people.

I'm a Danish boy. So sorry for the bad English.

I have bought a Corsair 550 W PSU.

My computer started one day, with ramdom shutdown. And i don't know why.?

I have allready try'ed changeing the RAM.

But it didn't work.

Can it be the PSU?

I hope you can help me.

Anders Thomsen.

How often does it shut down, random shut downs would normally indicate something other than the PSU. If there was a faulty component in the PSU it would likely shut down very consistently. Have you run http://www.memtest.org to make sure you don't have a problem with memory/motherboard/CPU? If you don't get errors in memtest then there could be a driver or software issue, try to see if you can get the system to shut down randomly while in safe mode, to rule out some 3rd party software/driver.

Hi

Sometimes shutdown to two seconds of initiating, for example:

1.- I click the start button of my PC

2.- one second, two second....shutdown

other time passed a few minutes, other times an hour....

This happens almost every day.

regards

PD: sorry for my bad english

• 4 months later...

After a few days of writing this it returned to work, without touching anything. But today it returns not to start. But I do not have so much experience as to extract all the pieces and mount them later. Only I have reviewed that All the pieces are anchored well....RAM modules are ok.

What more I can do?

regards

• 1 month later...

Hi RAM GUY,

I'm also experiencing random shutdowns. I have a 1000HX which powers the following:

• Core i7 920 (Turbo Boost enabled, 2.93GHz @ ~147W, rated at 2.66GHz @ 130W)
  • 6GB DDR3 (7-7-7-20, 1.54v @ 1066MHz, rated at 9-9-9-24, 1.65v @ 1600MHz)
  • Intel DX58SO motherboard
  • 2 x Radeon HD 4870s (CrossFire enabled)
  • 4 x SATA HDDs (two striped, two mirrored)
  • 1 x ODD

The system will sometimes freeze during installation of Vista 64-bit, or just before logging in. There's nothing in my Event Log about a thermal event, only an unexpected shutdown entry. Nothing specific seems to happen before the crash.

I've updated the BIOS, ran 7 passes of Memtest86+ and a CPU stress test. Although the ambient temperature in my case is rather high at ~51C, the processor cores have reached 81C without any problems.

I've referenced the rail distribution diagram, making sure that both video cards are on 12V2. I'm going to try disabling CrossFire next, but I'm really starting to draw a blank here. Strangely enough, I can play Call of Duty for hours without a hitch, and then crash while typing in Notepad.

I should also note that after crashing, the system immediately reboots as if nothing happened (besides the Safe Mode prompt).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well I came home from work and the memory passed another 11 times...

The more I think about it, would switching one video card to the 12V1 rail fix my problem? I don't know why I thought putting both on the 12V2 rail was a good idea. I'm reading that the HD 4870 needs at least 32A, and CrossFire adds another 8A, which is exactly how much amperage the rail has.

Why would it happen during Vista installation then, and not during a game? :confused: Anyone have any ideas?

Archived