Corsair Community

Questions about upgrading a PC

My current build is almost 5 years old, I am thinking of upgrading and handing down some parts to my nephew, who wants to get into PC gaming.

I have the following:

23" Asus 75hz 2ms Monitor

Nvidia GTX 660TI

Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz quad core

-120mm radiator and Fan 02 cooler

8GB of RAM of PC3 12800

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Mobo

630Watt 80 Plus Bronze PSU

240GB SSD

3TB HDD

I am thinking of upgrading the monitor and GPU, I had a friend over and he was playing Overwatch and he noticed a big difference in the graphic performance between our two computers. I guess I am use to it.

I am thinking about getting the following:

23" LCD w/ 1MS and 144hz

Nvidia 1060

I have looked at bench marks and reviews of some GPUs and monitors, though I am curious if there would be much, if any bottle neck with the RAM and CPU combo I currently have.

I prefer to buy most for my money in terms of performance. I like to spend under $300 for a GPU.

• 4 weeks later...

What PSU is that? 630w is a strange rating, so I'm wondering if it's one worth trusting for even longer to power new parts.

If you're playing at 1080p, and intend to keep playing there, the 1060 should keep you pretty happy.

• 9 months later...

I have the i5-3570k too and mine is overclocked pretty heavily. Im also rocking the GTX 1060 but honestly you might not need a 144Mhz screen with that setup as you are quite unlikely to hit the kind of fps you would need to keep up. At 1080p I would say your RAM is probably ok but a bit more wouldn't hurt and your PSU isn't going to be a problem at all assuming it is decent quality. As Dlaw rightly pointed out, that is an unusual rating for a PSU, are you sure that's correct?

If you go for a 100Hz monitor instead and spend the extra money on a bit more RAM. As for your CPU, I currently play games such as Rainbow six siege and Battlefield 1. With siege the CPU and GPU are about even and I usually hit 100% on both but with BF1 I find the CPU is a big problem with bottle necking as the GPU seems to be able to cope much better with that but sits around 70% to 90% because the CPU can't keep up. With overwatch you might find the CPU will stop you hitting the 144fps you would need to sync with the 144hz screen.

Having said all that, you won't be disappointed upgrading from the 660 to the 1060! Well worth doing in your case.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Upgrading from 75hz to 144hz is def. a good decision. I have seen lots of videos about the monitor hz that can make a slight better change in gaming.

Which one do you think I should get as of now?

I short listed this Asus monitor

https://www.amazon.com/1080p-Gaming-LED-Lit-Monitor-VG278Q/dp/B074JLD4HZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1535311867&sr=8-5&keywords=144hz+monitor&dpID=51EvWAQYIIL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• 3 months later...

Archived