Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance LPX? & other questions....

User1982

Hi folks. I am indulging my son for his 18th birthday with a new PC. He has asked for it to be custom built primarily for online gaming and has hinted at Corsair as his brand of choice. Now my expertise with regards to computers consists of cut and paste, email and Google search, (it's not quite that bad, but close enough) so I've certainly got my work cut out for me with this little project. I suppose I could just give him the money and allow him do all the leg work himself, but I feel that undermines the value and meaning of a present (and I'm also pretty sure that other than name dropping Corsair he knows very little about the inner workings of computers himself). So I guess my questions are as follows; do Corsair have pre-built gaming PC's for sale or is it a case of specifying each individual component yourself as the end customer? If the latter, can Corsair assemble the chosen components and deliver or will the components be delivered individually for the customer (or a 3rd party) to assemble themselves? Also, if it is a case of specifying exactly what components I require, can anybody advise me on the best Corsair RAM, graphics card, monitor etc for the purposes of online gaming. (He specifically mentioned the Corsair Vengeance LPX, but I have seen other memory kits for sale online at similar prices but with better reviews). I can ask my son to provide a list of the games he is currently playing or intending to play if that helps in anyway. Apologies for my ignorance of the subject matter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, so many thanks in advance.

Hi folks. I am indulging my son for his 18th birthday with a new PC. He has asked for it to be custom built primarily for online gaming and has hinted at Corsair as his brand of choice. Now my expertise with regards to computers consists of cut and paste, email and Google search, (it's not quite that bad, but close enough) so I've certainly got my work cut out for me with this little project. I suppose I could just give him the money and allow him do all the leg work himself, but I feel that undermines the value and meaning of a present (and I'm also pretty sure that other than name dropping Corsair he knows very little about the inner workings of computers himself). So I guess my questions are as follows; do Corsair have pre-built gaming PC's for sale or is it a case of specifying each individual component yourself as the end customer? If the latter, can Corsair assemble the chosen components and deliver or will the components be delivered individually for the customer (or a 3rd party) to assemble themselves? Also, if it is a case of specifying exactly what components I require, can anybody advise me on the best Corsair RAM, graphics card, monitor etc for the purposes of online gaming. (He specifically mentioned the Corsair Vengeance LPX, but I have seen other memory kits for sale online at similar prices but with better reviews). I can ask my son to provide a list of the games he is currently playing or intending to play if that helps in anyway. Apologies for my ignorance of the subject matter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, so many thanks in advance.

Apologies if this is too broad a question or if I have posted in the wrong forum. Any advice or pointers appreciated.

1st off, posting to tech forums is an excellent idea. I use mostly Corsair peripherals, but as far as I know, Corsair has branded GPUs, RAM, Keyboards, Mice, PSUs, Cases, and Cooling solutions.

If I were to ask for a custom PC for my birthday, I would want to pick the components myself. Perhaps if your son knows the hardware you could pick components together? If that's not an option, I'm sure the forums here can help you out, provided that you let us know a little more information.

1. Purpose of the PC: You've specified Gaming. What games does he play (or intend on playing?)

2. Budget: I'd recommend at least spending $800 if you are planning on using Corsair components, but I would expect to spend more depending on the tier system you're trying to build.

3. Constraints: ex. does the PC have to be easy to move around? (will he travel to and from college with the PC?)

4. Any other brands that need to be in the PC: NVIDIA vs AMD or INTEL vs AMD - some people feel strongly about these choices.

5. Country (for pricing relevance with the budget)

And I guess if you have any color theme in mind, now is the time to decide!

Also, I don't think Corsair sells prebuilt machines. More often than not, prebuilt machines are imbalanced and overpriced. 100% custom PCs are daunting, but are an amazing experience. When you push that power button and know that you wired it yourself, its an excellent feeling. I highly recommend that either you or your son (or both) do a complete custom build. It is honestly not as hard as you'd think ;)

This is a great video for learning the basics of PC building. It is a three year old guide, but pretty much everything in PC building is the same today as shown in the video. Keep in mind though that this is a general guide - using different parts will require a different assembly process that is detailed in the user manual (and usually on other YouTube videos)

[ame]

[/ame]

Corsair sells various hardware components but will not be able to provide all you need. There are a plethora of cases, memory, keyboards, mice, solid state drives, and cooling solutions. They do not sell motherboards, CPUs, or graphics cards which will be the core of the system. You would need to purchase those from another vendor. With one exception, they do not sell or build custom systems. There are companies that do, but of course you pay a premium for the service. Putting system together can be quite a bit of work and its usually quite an ordeal if you do not investigate the internals of the computers you have now. Depending on time constraints and budget, you may want to take a look at pre-built models and then roughly itemize the cost of acquiring the parts yourself so you can at least see part of the time vs cost equation.

Archived