Corsair Community

Upgraded system, downgraded performance

Flech

Hi all,

I built my first system about 3 months ago, first foray int the PC world, and I loved it, it was based around an i5 4690k, MSI z87 Mpower, GTX 970 & 16 gb corsair vengence pro 2133.

After some great gaming moments I decided to look for something a bit beefier, maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

Got myself an MSI X99S SLI plus board with an Intel 5820K processor and 16gb of corsair DDR4 memory. I put it all together in my existing corsair case and reused my samsung 850 evo SSD and corsair cx750 psu (which I think may have an issue, see my other post today).

Got it all booted up and after some recurring issues where the system would power up and keep resetting itself I finally got it stable and loaded up Arma 3 for a comparison against my i5 system and did I get a shock.

My i5 rig would quite happily get me up to a max of 60fps and never drop below 40 but this new i7 is struggling to keep the game at 45fps.

I know that the standard clock speed is slower than the i5 (3.5 - 3.7ghz compared to the i7's 3.3 - 3.5ghz) but I would have expected at least a similar performance.

Benchmarks rate the i7 system higher overall, for some reason the GTX 970 scored lower in the i7 system than the i5 though.

I have clean installed Windows 8.1 and all of the drivers, especially the gfx card but this has made no difference.

HELP!!!

Sounds like the i7 5820k is creating a bottleneck with the GPU.

Most games to date don't take advantage of quad core > processors or hyper-threading. Unless you're doing heavy media coding or design work that requires multiple threads, stick with the i5 4690k. Sure the 5820k will dominate in benchmarks which means nothing when it comes to real world performance and gaming.

1. Most games are coded to use 2 - 4 threads at the most and usually only if you're playing Multi-player online.

2. What is most important will be the single core performance, the i5 4690k outperforms the i7 5820k when compared head to head.

3. FPS games rely heavily on GPU performance (install the GPU in the PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot for best performance).

4. Benchmarks mean nothing when it comes to real world performance and gaming.

Thanks for the reply.

The GTX 970 is in the PCIE 3.0 x16 slot already.

I tried a CPU overclock last night using MSI's onboard motherboard OC genie which put the CPU up to 3.8ghz.

The frames have improved quite a lot, averaging about 60 now.

The PSU is definitely defective though, gonna have to get myself a modular one.

Again thanks for the reply.

• 9 months later...
  • Corsair Employees
Sounds like the i7 5820k is creating a bottleneck with the GPU.

Most games to date don't take advantage of quad core > processors or hyper-threading. Unless you're doing heavy media coding or design work that requires multiple threads, stick with the i5 4690k. Sure the 5820k will dominate in benchmarks which means nothing when it comes to real world performance and gaming.

1. Most games are coded to use 2 - 4 threads at the most and usually only if you're playing Multi-player online.

2. What is most important will be the single core performance, the i5 4690k outperforms the i7 5820k when compared head to head.

3. FPS games rely heavily on GPU performance (install the GPU in the PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot for best performance).

4. Benchmarks mean nothing when it comes to real world performance and gaming.

The 5820k would not create a bottleneck with this configuration at all.

In an effort to inform users better, please add sources for your claims.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived