Corsair Community

SLI Help

Good Afternoon,

I have just bought a second identical graphics card and looking to SLI, im not a dummy but wanted to know does it go into a PCIe x 8 or PCIe x 16. ITs just that my only PCIe x16 slot is directly below my existing graphics card which leaves not alot of room at all. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks In Advance

• 2 weeks later...
It can go in either but installing it in the lower end pci-e will lower your speed for the card and transmission will be slower

It doesn't matter which slot you install it in, as long as it's at least 8x. x16/x16 does provide additional bandwidth compared to x8/x8 but frame rates in games will be almost identical. Check out some comparison benchmarks if you're uncertain.

Additionally, there's a good chance your motherboard is limited to x8/x8 in dual-GPU configurations. Only Intel enthusiast platforms (most recently LGA2011 / LGA2011-3) have enough PCI-e lanes for x16/x16. If you have a mainstream motherboard (LGA1150 / LGA1155) your graphics cards will be limited to x8/x8 even if the individual PCI-e slots are x16.

Bottom line is that you don't need to worry about it. Just install your second card in the most convenient slot, as long as it's at least x8.

Use the x8 slot it'll be fine. The difference is less than 1% from x16 to x8 sli. The only way you'll see a significant difference is if your running 3x4k monitors or something crazy.

ApexAU his board must have an nf200 chip because it's supports tri sli. Nvidia does not give any sli support if one of the lanes is going to be x4.

Archived