Corsair Community

H115i CPU Fan Not Detected Error

speedotorpedo

Hey guys,

I booted up my computer this morning and got a POST error saying that the CPU fan was not detected. I went into the BIOS to check the CPU temp, and it was at 66*C, so I shut the rig off and came to work.

This build is fairly new, but has been running without issues for 3-4 months now. I was never thrilled with the CPU temps (45*C or so at idle), but I never had any problems, so I let it be.

As far as the configuration, I have the cooler pump plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the mobo, and the 2 fans on the radiator plugged into the Y on the pump harness. Then the USB cable is plugged into one of the internal USB headers on the mobo.

My question for all of you, is how should I go about testing what went wrong? Obviously I don't want to keep the computer on for any period of time if the pump has failed, but how can I check that?

I did notice that for the short time I had it on this morning, the fans seemed to default to full speed. I'm not sure if that is an indicator of anything, but it seemed loud and ominous...

Thanks in advance for the help. Hopefully it's nothing major, but I want to gather some info before calling tech support.

First, you need to make sure that the CPU Fan is set to 100%. You can do that by setting it to PWM mode, DC/Mode 100% or Disable QFan Control. You'll find it in the Advanced BIOS, Monitoring tab.

If that is the case (and it sounds like it is as the fans are spinning) then it's likely that the Pump is bad. The Pump does provide an RPM reading to the CPU Fan Header that is approximately Pump RPM / 2. If that's showing zero AND the pump is getting the full 12V of power, then ...

I can't speak to your idle temps; I don't have any Ryzens and I'm not familiar with their thermal behavior. But the difference between the CPU temp and the liquid temp is actually more important as it can indicate if you have good contact and a good TIM application. On my Intel chips, I expect to see the idle CPU temp no more than a couple of degrees higher than the liquid temp.

I'll double check the BIOS settings, but I think you're right and the pump is dead. It makes me wonder if it wasn't operating at full capacity this whole time and that was part of the reason my idle temps seemed high.

I'll pick up a air cooler on the way home tonight to get me by while I get the H115i delt with through Corsair.

Thanks.

Archived