Corsair Community

Distributor offer RMx850 for AX850 RMA

limcc

Greeting,

My first post, pardon me if I posted in wrong section. :o:

TL:DR only the last paragraph is related to the title. :D: the 1st and 2nd are describing the fault of PSU as I can't find the same fault when googling.

My AX850 is having difficulty starting up, press on the power button will not start up, I have to switch Off and On the mains for the motherboard to "wake up" the PSU. sometime even have to pull the ATX plug and re-insert to force a start/boot. Strangely, there would be no ill effect when the PSU is running. :confused:

I can't remember when this problem started, IIRC, it was about 1+ years already. initially I thought its the motherboard that I upgraded from P67 to X99, or maybe OCing was to blame. I really can't recall cause used to run the system 24/7, it was likely once in a few week, then a week, a few days and finally every times I have to use the mains switch. As said, it works when it started until a few days ago, it won't turn on at all. I was too lazy to take out the PSU as the system was the main server for my family. I eventually replaced the AX850 with HX650 and the problem go away, so its confirmed the PSU is to blame. Had double confirm with shorting green and black wires, the fan try to spin then stop, a connected HDD won't power up either.

The distributor of my country--Singapore offer to replace the AX850 with RMx850, claiming its the same class, both are Gold certified. But my understand is that AX was Corsair top of the lines at the time, RMx is 3rd or 4th down in the current Corsair lines. Am I being shortchanging or I shouldn't ask too much since both are 80+ Gold?

• Corsair Employee
Greeting,

My first post, pardon me if I posted in wrong section. :o:

TL:DR only the last paragraph is related to the title. :D: the 1st and 2nd are describing the fault of PSU as I can't find the same fault when googling.

My AX850 is having difficulty starting up, press on the power button will not start up, I have to switch Off and On the mains for the motherboard to "wake up" the PSU. sometime even have to pull the ATX plug and re-insert to force a start/boot. Strangely, there would be no ill effect when the PSU is running. :confused:

I can't remember when this problem started, IIRC, it was about 1+ years already. initially I thought its the motherboard that I upgraded from P67 to X99, or maybe OCing was to blame. I really can't recall cause used to run the system 24/7, it was likely once in a few week, then a week, a few days and finally every times I have to use the mains switch. As said, it works when it started until a few days ago, it won't turn on at all. I was too lazy to take out the PSU as the system was the main server for my family. I eventually replaced the AX850 with HX650 and the problem go away, so its confirmed the PSU is to blame. Had double confirm with shorting green and black wires, the fan try to spin then stop, a connected HDD won't power up either.

The distributor of my country--Singapore offer to replace the AX850 with RMx850, claiming its the same class, both are Gold certified. But my understand is that AX was Corsair top of the lines at the time, RMx is 3rd or 4th down in the current Corsair lines. Am I being shortchanging or I shouldn't ask too much since both are 80+ Gold?

The RMx PSU would be a good replacement in this case if you're in need of a power supply immediately. The AX850 is an older model and the newer RMx is likely being offered because the distributor in your region no longer has stock of the AX850.

Have you tried contacting our customer support team? If you'd rather get a replacement AX series, that may be the best course of action at this time.

Thanks!

The RMx PSU would be a good replacement in this case if you're in need of a power supply immediately. The AX850 is an older model and the newer RMx is likely being offered because the distributor in your region no longer has stock of the AX850.

Have you tried contacting our customer support team? If you'd rather get a replacement AX series, that may be the best course of action at this time.

Thanks!

Sounds fair enough. :sunglasse

I don't really mind any of the models, in fact I was preparing to dump it and buy a new PSU cause distributor insist on physical receipt but I can't find it. I did took a picture of the receipt when I bought it, still the distributor don't buy it. I had to ask why can't they at least check on the serial number to see if the PSU was from them--some of my local shop sell parallel import stock. Finally they agree to base on date of manufacture instead of DOP which was Oct 30th 2011. Thus the official warranty will end this year 2017 and NOT 2018.

I was a fan of Corsair product, especially power supply, being using only Corsair PSU on my systems. The first was HX520, then HX620 and AX850. Unfortunately for me, both HXs were dead just before the 5 years warranty and they replaced with HX650, NOT FOC but about a third of the retail price, the positive side was they extend the warranty by 5 years--2 years short of 7 years.

Just some of my experience with Corsair power supply. I used to really like Corsair PSU, the flat ribbon cables are nice, voltages are stable and fans are quiet. Until the HX620 killed my motherboard and CPU TWICE! in 3 months, no warning, no symptom, just shutdown the system and won't boot anymore. I thought the HX620 might be some lemon in Corsair lines but few days ago, the replacement HX650 shutdown my other system and smoke the motherboard. needless to say, motherboard and CPU found dead again. FYI, the motherboards were P8P67 and P8P67 Pro, with i5-2500K and i5-3570K. With AX850 also having issue, I'm losing faith with Corsair PSU.

This is not some lame tactic to ask Corsair to replace the AX850 with AXi or even HXi/RMi, I'm content with whatever the distributor is willing to give me, a working PSU is better than a dead one. ;): Just sharing my experience.

The topic is solved, thanks for the reply. :D:

Just an update.

Emailed Corsair support, although they didn't pick on receipt photo, they said hand written receipt is unacceptable!? :eek: Come On, this was what the shop gave me, I can't tell them how to run their shop, can I? This was way beyond my control, and many of my local shops are doing the same thing.

There goes my last faith of Corsair. :roll:

Fortunately for me, my local distributor was kind enough to exchange a brand new RM850x for me. As mentioned, 7 years warranty was cut short to 6. Still I felt grateful to my local distributor, especially after what I got from Corsair support.

Case closed. good bye Corsair.:hihi:

Archived