Corsair Community

De-Lidding the 7700K?

zguy85

So a coworker of mine has been talking to me all day of de-lidding the 7700K and repasting the DIE to the IHS claiming that his results make it a no brainer to do for anyone with a 7700K. I did some research and am very tempted. I found a great tool that seems to be popular to safely remove the IHS from the chip at Rockit Cool. There are many videos out three how to do this and here is one I found very informative.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzQWvvOTWy8

I understand that this would absolutely void the warranty of the entire system and have not yet decided to do it now or in a couple years at which time will have happened.

The average drops are anywhere from 10-20C. This is pretty substantial in large part to the factory Intel paste being substandard from many reports throughout the web.

Most articles I have been through, people are using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut metallic paste with conductivity listed at 73 W/mK on the Tom's Guide, which is the highest I have heard of. Even Tom's is now claiming this is their go to Thermal Interface Material (TIM) over Gelid GC-Extreme which their top TIM for years now.

Their temperatures at 1.3 volts 5GHz with the original Intel paste were the same with the Grizzly TIM running at 1.5 volts at 5.3 GHz. Very impressive.

I understand that the setup and especially the water cooling/equipment has a large part to play as well, but with a de-lid and re-paste alone... producing these results. I'm very interested at the moment.

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2024

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2023

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2029

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2022

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2030

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2026

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2027

picture.php?albumid=737&pictureid=2028

What are your thoughts?

Rockit Cool

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

Tom's Guide

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kaby-lake-de-lidding-overclocking-test,4970.html

Hello @zguy85

Thanks for sharing

This is something I'm also considering as it seems those cpus are running hot, but it also seems there are some with the good silicone lottery !

That's why I think is important to do some stress test from the begging of life of our Corsairs-Ones, so we know how are they handling the heat and in the future if running in trouble we already know that our cpus needed De- Lidding

Wish can also be perform with a raiser knife for as long you do it slowly

Yea I'm going to run through Prime 95 tonight and see what I'm working with. I'll post my results later. It would be interesting if a group of us got involved to find out who the winners and not so fortunate are lol.

If I'm on the ugly end of the stick, I will be de-lidding sooner than later.

Yea I'm going to run through Prime 95 tonight and see what I'm working with. I'll post my results later. It would be interesting if a group of us got involved to find out who the winners and not so fortunate are lol.

If I'm on the ugly end of the stick, I will be de-lidding sooner than later.

:eek: de-lidding :p: :!:

Lol I been buying gaming laptops and gaming mini gaming pcs for the last 20 years ::pirate:: And I finally learn that at that game I'm always louser, because they all run to HOT

So I learned to take risks and play with the hardware and make what ever is needed to make my rig run the cooler and the fastest for the less money and I must admit that I love those challenges :roll: even better then gaming on it lol :D:

For those stress test is important to point out your room temperature as that can make huge difference >>>> Wish you best luck on the Silicon Lottery !!!

Will jin you as soon I get my system :laughing:

Stress Test overnight with Prime95 for 7-Hours with a consistent room temperature of 23-24C or 74F, peaked at 92C. Additionally, I ran ASUS RealBench v2.43 for 30 minutes under the same conditions, but this time had peaked at 90C with: (Core Peaks #1-88C, #2-90C, #3-86C, #4-87C) This is at factory settings no OC or other changes had occurred. Any thoughts? Normal?

I will be performing a GPU Test with Unigine's New Superposition and will let you know what happens there. Would be interested in seeing how you Ladies and Gentlemen do.

-Justin

@Zguy 85 that confirms what the Iranian said as his temps are 92c no stress test just gaming :bigeyes: HOT :roll: :p: :D:

Today I receive my first package from the order at Amazon and the next one should be The Corsair Beast if im lucky will be here at the end of this month :D:

Can wait to run those test too :laughing: and of course you will be winner as I'm in a very hot country

Thanks for sharing I be waiting to see the result of your heaven Bench's wish I assume will be very nice and cool as so far I haven't found a single bad review concerning the cooling of the video card

Here below a link of YouTube IN SPANISH :!: For those who don't understand or don't care just go to the middle of the video and over there you will see :biggrin: THE ONE on action Gaming with Fraps and Temps :bigeyes:

And in this video we can see the video card doing very well :D:

Not the same for the CPU :mad: the test was done at room temperature of 22c and the CPU climbed at just 45 percent of usage at 90c :evil:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJOvLHQ1_o]Video of corsair ONE gaming with Temps[/ame]

@Solrac13 I didn't do Heavens, I instead went with Unigine's newest benchmark, Superposition and purchased the Advanced version to properly run the Stress Test for 1HR at 23-24C or 74F. Keep in mind I am only at 1080P, but everything else it set to max.

GPU temp Maxed at 56C on the benchmark, but HWiNFO64 reported 57C. This baby has plenty of room to play. Will running Heavens really be worth it even though outdated, or will this suffice plenty? I understand there are many who only use Heavens. I am curious how that stacks against Unigine's brand new baby.

From what I have concluded, the Processor is running much warmer/hot then could be, and De-Lidding sounds like the only way to go with the 7700K.

Results:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6a40f6fgfNFVEJhQnBtY2lHOGM

I didn't do Heavens, I instead went with Unigine's newest benchmark, Superposition and purchased the Advanced version to properly run the Stress Test for 1HR at 23-24C or 74F. Keep in mind I am only at 1080P, but everything else it set to max. I currently don't have 1440 or 4K display. Maxed at 56C. This baby has plenty of room to play. Will running Heavens really be worth it even though outdated, or should this suffice plenty?

Seems like the Processor is absolutely the bottle neck at the moment and De-Lidding sounds like the only way to go.

Results:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6a40f6fgfNFVEJhQnBtY2lHOGM

Yea you see your video card is running beautifully wait I get mine we can compare result

If you like there is an other STRESS test all you have to do is run both test at the same time Prime95 and Uniengine also run Hardware Monitor at the same time :laughing:

That is going to really stress your system::laughing:

@Solrac13 Hmmm not sure if I am going to do that lol. :o: I'll think about it, it sure would be interesting as long as it didn't damage anything. I wonder how the 400W PS would hold up?

:p: Yea so you know :D:

What comes for the delidding I just place an order in taobao.com china

https://world.taobao.com/item/536272786840.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-162713939.23.MVWw3d

Only 2 dollars so I will for sure go for it ::pirate:: for the best of The One lol

So performed the de-lid and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on Die and IHS, then repasted the cooler to the IHS with Hydronaut. Been running Prime 95 so far for the past couple hours under the same temperature conditions as before and for the moment has been stable between 79-82C. I will keep it running for another hour and let you know where we are at. So far from what I can tell I'm averaging about -10C or about -17-18F from before when I was maxing at 92C. Worth it.

well done congrats!!

Did you glue it or let it open, I read that is some time better no to glue it as the cpu locker will hold the cover with no issue and is easier if you think you can do a better job later on and was even thinkin trying a test naked with no cover at all just to see if there is any difference

And yes -10 is great if it stays that way it would be better if staying around 70c sweet spot for me

At list that's what I will do personally I order Cool Laboratory liquid ultra wish arrived

And for th ONE still waiting I asked Amazon confirmations, I notice the 1080 is not on sale any more, they reply saying no to worry that the ONE should arrive around the 3 lets see

I glued it with very small drops on corners. I truly feel I did an outstanding job with the die to IHS repaste, have no doubts. I feel I could have done a better job from the cooler to IHS though. I might try today to redo it with Conductonaut instead and I'll post results with that.

Sorry your having to deal with BS getting our system Solrac. Hope you hear some news sooner than later. I'm in the US, San Diego California.

Redid the paste from cooler to IHS with Conductonaut and still getting the same readings as with Hydronaut. The cooler itself and the small form factor seems to be the only thing holding this baby back from further decreases at this point. Maybee Corsair will offer an upgraded cooler alternative that can achieve better cooling than the current radiator/pump.

My friend from work has a custom liquid cooler on his 7700K and doesn't push past 65C. Any thoughts to getting this puppy any lower or is it just the cooling hardware that limits us to around 82C at the moment?

I had read another article where you can shave down the lid of the IHS through heaving sanding then wet sand it smooth to decrease the thickness of the IHS increasing heat flow to the cooler where people are getting another 3-5c decreases... this seems a little extreme though.

@zguy85

Amazon was right mine is suppose to be shipped today and I just double check and naw they have 16 Ones Pro in stock

It seems I will be getting mine very soon and will update my temps and tests

I was thinking you may want to try Intel Dagnostique Tool

And yes as you say we have 2 factors against us #1 Intel #2 small from factor lets hope we can surveys lol as I already told you in this game we are always looser

Yea having to sand of the IHS lid of the cpu seems extreme NEVER MIND IS NOTED

Also some are doing this too egg

SO i've went to bios , and disabled the following , EIS ( enhaced intel speed ) , intel boost , Hyper-threading , Intel virtualization , intel C-state ,intel VT-D tech

with that disabled i have now 35-41C idle , 54-60 gaming

No updates at this time. Seems like the best you can do to Mod this setup is just simply repasting the Die to the IHS Lid and maybe update the SSD to the NVME on the back of the motherboard.

Other than that I think this bad boy is what it is, and I am happy with that. If you find a way to get the temps on the CPU cooler as far as physically modding I would be interested. Would be great to get those CPU stress tests down to around 75C from my now 82C somehow, but still way better than it was at 92C Factory Stock. =)

What method did you use when you were repasting with the hydronaut. I am considering repasting with that, but was unsure if to use the pea method, X method or as they suggest spreading it all over the cpu. This is my first time repasting so a little weary of how to do it.

I used Hydronaut, but later used Conductonaut which I had also used for the de-lidding Die to IHS and got the same results with both. I just used the spread method both times on the IHS and Cooler. I personally have a much easier time with Conductonaut.

Ok. I have the hydronaut. 1 gram amount. The next question is how much do I apply and do I apply it to the IHS and cooler? Or just IHS? I am on my second attempt since I think I applied too little cus temps were higher than normal.

I spread and evenly distributed a light layer on both the Cooler and IHS. Then make sure you try your best evenly mounting the cooler afterwards. Tighten but do not over tighten the cooler mounting nuts to the screws in an X pattern until your satisfied. I think I might have started to over tighten one of the nuts but I knew well enough to stop so I'm good. This could bring bigger issues if you end up messing up the threads on those nuts or screws.

Archived