The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392432
DerekT Reputation: 10

And this is why you need to play with your system to find what works. There are always exceptions to the rule. The best rules of thumb do not work consistently with computer systems and I can not count the times when my advice on one system works poorly but which works well with many of others of the same system hardware. That's why it is a "Your Results May Vary" thing.

I'm happy to see that you are going to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cje View Post
Ok, no matter where I search, people say set your command rate to 2T with this board.

So need to experiment a bit more.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392459
cje Reputation: 10

Yes, was experimenting now. I've set multiplier to 6x (2.4ghz) To rule out cpu. RAM is at 1066 mhz. As you said, and other people with this board say the only stable ratio's they had was 1:1, 1:2 and 3:2. 1066 is 3:2.

2T resulted in a bsod but no restart after 7 minutes. Now testing 1T. I had gone into the habit of changing more than one BIOS option. Which I know is stupid as I can't nail down what's causing these bsods.

Will try experimenting with NB GTL. Some people say leave on auto, some say +60mv with 1600 ram and fsb. We'll see what my board likes.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392460

Here's the method to be certain that the memory controller is or isn't the issue with regards to the blue screens.

Set up and testing proves stability. In other words, LinX 20 iteration and Memtest proves stable but the blue screens still occur.

Download LinX - Set to All RAM and 20 iterations
Download LinX from--> Here
Remove two sticks and test for repeats of the blue screen. If it does not appear, then you have to tweak the memory controller, but be clear, this does not mean that you will find stabilty with the memory controller (as that often depends on the controllers quality), just that you have isolated the issue. You can lower the performance (Latencies and Skews) of the memory controller but you may find that tightening the controllers latencies and dropping the bandwidth gives you better results.
Download Everest Trial Version from here -->Here
Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmarks for testing your results.

Quote:
Yes, was experimenting now. I've set multiplier to 6x (2.4ghz) To rule out cpu. RAM is at 1066 mhz. As you said, and other people with this board say the only stable ratio's they had was 1:1, 1:2 and 3:2. 1066 is 3:2.

2T resulted in a bsod but no restart after 7 minutes. Now testing 1T. I had gone into the habit of changing more than one BIOS option. Which I know is stupid as I can't nail down what's causing these bsods.

Will try experimenting with NB GTL. Some people say leave on auto, some say +60mv with 1600 ram and fsb. We'll see what my board likes.

Last edited by DerekT; 03-03-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392465

I was experimenting as I said, and it bsod again. So, being tired and a little annoyed, I just went into BIOS loaded setup defaults and started windows.

BUT, it froze on the windows logo. So I switched it off, cleared CMOS and all is fine. No BSODS with defaults, hopefully.

Since this happened, I am going to run it on stock like this for a while now. Just to make sure that my OS isn't corrupt or something.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392469

Good idea. I still think your issue is the memory controller and a four DRAM slot population. The reactions are such at any rate.

Quote:
I was experimenting as I said, and it bsod again. So, being tired and a little annoyed, I just went into BIOS loaded setup defaults and started windows.

BUT, it froze on the windows logo. So I switched it off, cleared CMOS and all is fine. No BSODS with defaults, hopefully.

Since this happened, I am going to run it on stock like this for a while now. Just to make sure that my OS isn't corrupt or something.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392472

Thing is, I don't have all four ram slots populated. Only 2 in at the moment. I know that 4 sticks i harder, so took them out. One less thing to worry about.

My pc is fine running at stock settings like this now. It would have blue screened me by now.

I will research more on this memory controller issue then. I will have another bash at it tomorrow.

By memory controller you mean NB right? If so, then might have to tweak some NB GTL as I've read it helps a bit.

Last edited by cje; 03-03-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392474

Yes, but with two sticks, there should not be any issue with the memory controller unless it is actually needful of RMA due to damage.

Please edit your system hardware when you make changes. It confuses those of us who are helping many people.

Quote:
By memory controller you mean NB right? If so, then might have to tweak some NB GTL as I've read it helps a bit.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392475

Changed system specs to 2gb now.

I get bsods with ram set to 1066, 1333, 1600. Anything above 1333 fsb seems to be unstable.

It is correct that my mobo probably needs an RMA? Also, i have issues of it ignoring hard drives after some bsods and refuse to boot from my OS hard drive.

It sometimes freezes in BIOS setup.

Grounds for RMA? But it doesnt happen all the time though, I don't know how to explain it to my reseller...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392476

Grounds for RMA to be certain.

Quote:
Changed system specs to 2gb now.

I get bsods with ram set to 1066, 1333, 1600. Anything above 1333 fsb seems to be unstable.

It is correct that my mobo probably needs an RMA? Also, i have issues of it ignoring hard drives after some bsods and refuse to boot from my OS hard drive.

It sometimes freezes in BIOS setup.

Grounds for RMA? But it doesnt happen all the time though, I don't know how to explain it to my reseller...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392477

I was in 2 minds wether just to leave it at stock and be happy, but that isn't why I bought this board. I didn't pay top dollar to run everything at stock. could have done that with a way cheaper motherboard.

I'll be on the phone to my reseller tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help DerekT. Been a massive help.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392479
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Your profile lists a Q6600 CPU and if so then you may not be able to run above DDR1333 on the memory and be stable with out over clocking.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-04-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392481

Even with a lower multi it is unstable. i tried running 1600 fsb and 1066 ram as DerekT suggested, so that it would be in Intel spec.

But it still doesnt help the fact that my motherboard freezes in BIOS setup, and ignores my hard drives after a failed OC.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392487

As well, I am speaking to the motherboard as far as grounds for RMA. You have already passed memtest.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
cje's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392541

Just out of curiosity, say I had a really bad cpu. If I play around with settings up to 1333 fsb it is stable. No data corruption, no freezing BIOS etc.

But, if I clock 1600 fsb with 6x multi, which should be in Intel spec, bsods and sometimes POST freees and setup freezes. BIOS setup can also freeze even with defaults loaded, unless I clear CMOS and then let it load defaults again.

Could it just be that a combination of this L807A batch cpu, coupled with this motherboard is the problem. I have been told that this cpu will not clock well on the striker Ii extreme.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392573

You were told in the beginning that your CPU is the one part of your system that is holding back. That only the best Q6600's can make a 400Mhz system bus. You are running two bins higher on FSB ie. 266 --> 333 --> 400 and only the BEST (as I said in the beginning) of the 266FSB CPUs can make this jump with full stability. So yes, this could well be your CPU. Intel SPec of 400 was not created with your cpu in mind. The 333Mhz FSB CPU was though.

The only way to be certain would be to move to a CPU that allows for such a one bin move. 333 --> 400Mhz.

You may wish to stick with 333 X 9 and 1333Mhz on the memory. Then when you are ready, purchase a Q9550 (E0) processor and move to the 400Mhz FSB. Most make 450Mhz FSB on the (E0) but few made > 400Mhz on the older (C0).

And you are trying to do it on the Q6600. I have installed probably fifty Q6600's and the only ones I found that could make 400Mhz FSB well were the LxxxBxxx fabs.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, say I had a really bad cpu. If I play around with settings up to 1333 fsb it is stable. No data corruption, no freezing BIOS etc.

But, if I clock 1600 fsb with 6x multi, which should be in Intel spec, bsods and sometimes POST freees and setup freezes. BIOS setup can also freeze even with defaults loaded, unless I clear CMOS and then let it load defaults again.

Could it just be that a combination of this L807A batch cpu, coupled with this motherboard is the problem. I have been told that this cpu will not clock well on the striker Ii extreme.