The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Idduka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 384933
Idduka Reputation: 10
Default Memory issue

Hi all,

Sorry to barge in, but it seems as though this is the best thread for me to post my query in.

I have just recently acquired a Core i7 platform, including an MSI Eclipse motherboard, as well as a 3x1GB set of Corsair DDR3 Dominator PC3-12800C8 1600MHz RAM. I assempled the system, and all seems to be running well and stable for over a week now.

What is concerning me is the Memory statistics being displayed to me by CPU-Z. Now, I am not a memory whiz, but to my grotesquely limited knowledge for triple-channel to work at all, each of the RAM modules must possess the same specifications. When I fire up CPU-Z, and view the statistics under the SPD tab, this is what I see:

Slot #1 looks OK:

Slot #2 shows idential readings:

Its slot #3 which is worrying me:

Do I have a problem, or is this the way things should be? Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Duke

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 384954
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idduka View Post
Do I have a problem, or is this the way things should be? Any advice and help would be appreciated.
If you are stable, then the issue is one of a mis programmed SPD value.
Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->Here
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for at least two full passes. If you pass at 1600Mhz with C8 then it is a misprint because no 1333C9 is going to make that speed.

However, if the misprint bothers you then you are certainly within your rights to request an RMA from your point of distribution or from Corsair directly.

Can you post the CPU-z Memory tab please?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Idduka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385016
Default Will get back to you...

Thanks for your quick reply. I would post a shot of the CPU-Z memory tab, but unfortunately I will not have access to my machine till after the weekend. I will make it a point to get back to you then though!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
will160628's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385131
will160628 Reputation: 10
Default hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRT-1 View Post
Man, I have tried just about all of them it seems. I still cannot get the XMP to work. Believe it or not, right now I am set to the "Cinema" setting in the overclocker Center, and it seems to be the most stable. That being said, I still have random reboots. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours.

I have tried the IntelBurn Test to check the stability on the combinations that looked promising, only to have the system reboot within minutes. I beginning to think that the MSI board just doesn't like my 12GB of Corsair Dominator 1600C8D memory.

I will keep working on it, and if you have any suggestions, I am all ears.
I have a few sticks that I need to Rma still so i might be able to play around with 12Gb a bit. First off there are some problems with XMP that MSI still needs to work out on this board. One of the main ones I've noticed is the fact that timings tend to be wrong by default. You might be stuck setting the timings and voltages manually for the time being. Another thing I need to mention is that some memory vendors have a disclaimer that multi-channel memory kit timings are only valid if the kit is used by itself. I'm not sure if Corsair is one of those vendors but you might want to consider loosening your timings a bit considering you running 2 kits at once. A third thing you might want to look into is your QPI voltage. That is the only setting that helped me on my 6Gb set up but it takes some higher than expected settings to get it stable. I'm already running at +0.210 to keep this thing stable now so I'm dreading seeing what it's gonna take for 12Gb. I actually recently had to up my QPI to +.21 because I noticed it was occasionally doing the random restarts too even though it is 20 hour Prime95 and 15 rounds of burntest stable at +.20.

Can you get your computer stable at a manual setting of 1333 or even 1066 with default voltages? Oh and don't use the overclocker utility if you can help it. The software is way too buggy. It will cause random restarts and lockups on it's own. I've read it in reviews and experienced it firsthand a couple of times. Another thing I've noticed is that the phase power settings in the BIOS can cause a small amount of instability if they're enabled while you're overclocking. (BTW running memory at 1600Mhz on a 920 or 940 is still overclocking even if the memory is rated for it). It seems that the Eclipse motherboard (or at least mine) is a bit too ready to cut voltages while your overclocking. I've noticed mine try to suddenly drop the power from 1.25 volts to 1.0 at 3.2Ghz under full load and it does similar with QPI ans Memory voltages. As you can imagine it usually causes either a lock-up or reboot when it starts dropping the voltages.

Hope this helps some. An i7 system is a beauty to behold at least when it works right. ;)

Last edited by will160628; 01-16-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed spelling and a weird spot where it bleeped voltages

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385178

Is there some special reason you went with MSI? Board given to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by will160628 View Post
Another thing I've noticed is that the phase power settings in the BIOS can cause a small amount of instability if they're enabled while you're overclocking. (BTW running memory at 1600Mhz on a 920 or 940 is still overclocking even if the memory is rated for it). It seems that the Eclipse motherboard (or at least mine) is a bit too ready to cut voltages while your overclocking. I've noticed mine try to suddenly drop the power from 1.25 volts to 1.0 at 3.2Ghz under full load and it does similar with QPI ans Memory voltages. As you can imagine it usually causes either a lock-up or reboot when it starts dropping the voltages.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
will160628's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385211
will160628 Reputation: 10
Smile reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Is there some special reason you went with MSI? Board given to you?
Yeah there is actually. Every other motherboard manufacturer I've tried has completely failed me in the long run. DFI, Asus, Biostar, and Gigabyte (I know there were others but I can't think of the names) boards have all died on me before but out of all the MSI boards and other parts I've had, I haven't had a single complete failure. I've even had a Motherboard that got hit by lightening 3 times and still works to this day (even though one of the PCI slots has some charring ). I think that board is going on 7 or eight years old now. Their one shortcoming is that earlier adopters of MSI products more often than not have to wait out the BIOS. MSI tends to be buggier than a roach motel whenever a new product is first released. They eventually get it right though. MSI and Mushkin have been my two staples for years but I tend to be on the look out for other brands to test out when they can't suite my needs. I've been around the tech world long enough to know that brands tend to have their shortcomings and a few dud products. I'm just hoping this motherboard doesn't wind up being one of MSI's dud products.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385215

Sounds reasonable to me.

But then I believe women when they tell me their ages too.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Idduka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385474
Default ...back!

Quote:
If you are stable, then the issue is one of a mis programmed SPD value.
Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->Here
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for at least two full passes. If you pass at 1600Mhz with C8 then it is a misprint because no 1333C9 is going to make that speed.

However, if the misprint bothers you then you are certainly within your rights to request an RMA from your point of distribution or from Corsair directly.

Can you post the CPU-z Memory tab please?
Hi again. Here's a shot of the Memory tab from CPU-z you asked about:

Does it tell you anything? Seems to me all is running well @ triple channel. I am about to run Memtest to ensure system stability, as you suggested... will report back with the results soon :)

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Idduka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385480
Default Memtest passed :)

Got to run Memtest on my rig, and the system passed the test twice with no errors. I've played through Bioshock (at long, long last!!!) and I've had no crashes/issues. Looks as though the system is stable, and all I might be experiencing is a misprint in one of the modules, as suggested by yourself.

What do you think?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385516

Your settings are not correct. You are running with 1066Mhz rather than 1600Mhz.

Enter your BIOS and "Cell Menu" -> Memory Z -> DDR3-1600

Then Enter Advance DRAM Configuration and set:

1N/2N Memory Timing = 1N
CAS Latency(CL) = 8
tRCD = 8
tRP = 8
tRAS = 24

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post a screenshot of your CPU-z Memory tab.

Last edited by DerekT; 01-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Idduka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385574

Quote:
Your settings are not correct. You are running with 1066Mhz rather than 1600Mhz.

Enter your BIOS and "Cell Menu" -> Memory Z -> DDR3-1600

Then Enter Advance DRAM Configuration and set:

1N/2N Memory Timing = 1N
CAS Latency(CL) = 8
tRCD = 8
tRP = 8
tRAS = 24

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post a screenshot of your CPU-z Memory tab.
Just to make sure I understand what I'm trying to do... The point of this whole procedure is to get the memory modules running under the timings advertised in the XMP-1600 section of the Slot#1/Slot#2 DIMMs (as seen in under the CPU-z SPD tab screenies I posted earlier), right? That is:

DRAM Frequency: 800MHz
CAS# Latency: 8.0
RAS# to CAS#: 8
RAS# Precharge: 8
tRAS: 24

Does the CPU-z Memory tab show some other setting I should keep an eye out for? I am very new to memory timings, so most of this is all Greek to me!

If I'm not mistaken, since the i7 has an integrated memory controller, and has done away with the FSB, modifying the RAM voltages will also change the core voltage. Does the same apply to memory frequencies? i.e.: will altering the memory frequencies result in a processor running at non-stock frequencies?

I will alter my settings from the BIOS, and stress test the modules with Memtest later today, and I will let you know of the outcome when I'm done

Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idduka View Post
Does the CPU-z Memory tab show some other setting I should keep an eye out for? I am very new to memory timings, so most of this is all Greek to me!
Your CPU-z memory tab is showing 533 with 8-8-8-19 1T timings. 533 with DDR = 1066Mhz. It should be showing 800 with 8-8-824 1T timings. 800 with DDR = 1600Mhz.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, since the i7 has an integrated memory controller, and has done away with the FSB, modifying the RAM voltages will also change the core voltage. Does the same apply to memory frequencies? i.e.: will altering the memory frequencies result in a processor running at non-stock frequencies?

I will alter my settings from the BIOS, and stress test the modules with Memtest later today, and I will let you know of the outcome when I'm done
You will have to ask MSI for this information. Asus has a ratio that allows for DDR3-1600 with stock CPU settings and voltages. MSI does not, that I know of, have a forum for their hardware (another reason when deciding on hardware purchases imo). The manual shows a 3x - 7x Memory Multiplier so, if you play with this ratio, it will show you if you can achieve a 1600Mhz speed. There should not be an increase in the CPU speed or voltage with such multiplier changes.

For your review:

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...ds/1799_5.html

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
KRT-1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385768
KRT-1 Reputation: 10

MSI forum

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php

I hope you have better luck running at 1600 than I am. I am very stable at 1333, but once I go to 1600, no stability at all. I'm sure there is a voltage and timing setting that will work, I just have not found it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 385804

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRT-1 View Post
MSI forum

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php

I hope you have better luck running at 1600 than I am. I am very stable at 1333, but once I go to 1600, no stability at all. I'm sure there is a voltage and timing setting that will work, I just have not found it.
Thanks KRT. I've logged the forum.

I've found no issues with P6T and 1600Mhz.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 386041
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

With 6 modules I would suggest DDR1333 and if the system is stablke at DDR1333 you should be good to go.

Tags
i7