Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 345433
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

NP Please let us know how you make out!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 345747
JjcampNR Reputation: 10

I'm trying to do this now, however I'm still having trouble finding the NB/MCH setting you mentioned. Are you just talking about the Northbridge voltage, or is there a setting called NB/MCH (I'm not sure what MCH is)? I'm also not sure what the standard setting is for my motherboard, it's on Auto now and if I try and change it, I have to key in a number directly so I'm not sure where to start. My manual is here: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...nual_E3652.zip if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Thanks so much guys, the BIOS side of the world isn't my specialty.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 345816

I am downloading the manual now but its taking for ever ASUS is so slow these days. However, MCH stands for Memory Controller Hub and that is what you want to add a bit more voltage to. But some chipsets will only give the option for the NB North Bridge or with Nvidia they call it NB SPP Voltage. And normally default would be 1.2 Volts you might check in Hardware Monitor and see if it is listed to see what it is running at.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 345844
DerekT Reputation: 10

Download memtest from--->Here
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM disk.

Here you go:

AI Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings
Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual.
CPU Ratio Setting = 8
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1066
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency = 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.9v
NB Voltage = 1.45
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto
CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled
Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 345904

I tried the settings but the results weren't any better. The first boot after I saved the settings I got an "overclocking failed" message. I went back into the BIOS and all the settings were still there, so I hit save and continue and the system booted to Memtest. I got a few hundred errors within about 30 seconds so I went back to the BIOS and just put everything back to Auto (where it still tests clean).

I think I've come to the conclusion this is a BIOS issue, I don't see any other reasonable explination at this point. I've tested everything I can think of in every configuration, and the only commonn component is the motherboard. I called Asus and apparently they don't support my chip (Q9450) on my board right now. What doesn't make sense is the BIOS sees it fine, detects all 4 cores, etc. but I guess if it's not technically supported then I can't really continue troubleshooting the issue any further until I have a BIOS with official suppport for my CPU.

I'm undecided on whether or not I'll RMA the board and buy something from a different vendor that has boards based on this century's technology, or if I'll hold for a bit and wait to see if the next BIOS release adds support for the Q9xxx series chips. Honestly, why bother with an X48 series board if it doesn't support the processors released with the chipset? I'm definitely a bit discouraged at this point, thanks again for all the help but I think there's something going on with my board that's just not right. I'll report back once I get a new board or a new BIOS update is out - until then I have a nice new expensive system that does nothing but look good. Yay technology!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 345977

Do you have the latest BIOS version installed?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346131

Unfortunately yes. When I had v 0204 installed I was seeing some errors running memtest, so I updated to 0401 (latest) which seemed to resolve the errors in memtest, however that's when I started getting these random lockups.

I can't determine what's causing the lockups since the RAM passes memtest fine, I've tested the hard drives and they're fine (and it happens booting to a CD which doesn't use the drives at all), the graphics card seems to be fine, and when things lock up it's a complete freeze so nothing goes into the Windows logs. My temps are all OK as well, the motherboard temp is around 90F and the processor temp is about 108 or so (not much load on either since they freeze up pretty quickly). If anyone else has another thought or something else I can test, I'm happy to do it!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Neekaulth's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346132
Neekaulth Reputation: 10

I have the same issue with my Maximus Formula Extreme. I know some people had my issue and just got older BIOS and it worked fine, the problem I have is that only the newest BIOS supports my CPU, so I can't flash to older BIOS revs.

I have random lockups during gameplay, videos, or whatever..

If you find an issue, please let me know !

Old 05-03-2008, 02:01 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346147
DerekT Reputation: 10

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit
  14. Restart the System and enter the BIOS
  15. Insert the previous settings using 1333Mhz for the DRAM and MCH to Auto.

Insert two sticks of DRAM in Slot 1 & 3 and test with Memtest v2.01. Remove those sticks and insert the second set and retest.

Results?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346165

I will try this tonight, thanks!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346303

OK, well here's what I did...

As suggested, I reset the CMOS and let it sit for an hour (overkill, but I had to run out anyway) with the jumper in the reset/clear position (pins 2-3) and the battery removed completely (power cord unplugged from the PSU as well). I also removed my video card for the duration of this process since it blocked access to the jumper and CMOS battery. After I got back, I put the battery in, moved the jumper back, and replaced/reconnected my video card. I let the system boot and notify me the clock and BIOS needed to be reset, hit F1, loaded default settings, entered the settings you guys provided me before leaving NB/CPU voltage on Auto. I rebooted and was presented the same "Overclocking failed" message as before, even though I was actually clocking down the RAM speed.

After getting the message, I hit F1 to correct BIOS settings and again nothing had changed, all my previously entered settings were in there still. I ensured they were all set the same and then saved my BIOS settings. My machine rebooted as expected and went into the Memtest86+ sequence where I let it run all night (just about 9 passes over 11 hours or so). No errors. I booted back into Windows and everything has been OK - no system lockups today, typically my system was freezing within 5 minutes so I'd say I'm in good shape now. It's odd, I had cleared my CMOS already during this process, perhaps I didn't let the system drain completely before I put the jumpers and battery back in. I haven't seen the "overclocking failed" message again since the first time it showed up, I'm guessing this is some sort of BIOS bug that'll be worked out (I hope, this board definitely needs a new BIOS revision) in the future. Thank you all again for your help, you've been invaluable through this process.

Now, would it be reasonable to try 7-7-7-20 timings since I'm clocking down my RAM a bit? Would voltage levels need to change? I'm not really interested in doing any serious overclocking, but if I can easily tighten my RAM timings a bit without getting into too much testing/troubleshooting, I'd definitely like to do that.

Thanks again, I now have a working system instead of just an expensive pile of the latest technology that isn't compatible.

Edit: Just got a BSOD while running PCMark and Prim95 is erroring on the In-Place Torture test. I haven't changed any of my timings yet, still on the 9-9-9-24 timings. I'm investigating the stop code, unsure of what the cause is as of right now. I have not enabled BitLocker or anything like that - just a stock Vista x64 SP1 with all MS updates install (and Nvidia 174.74 drivers).

Edit 2: This may have been a driver issue. I just installed the drivers for my Creative X-Fi and a few other things (Intel Matrix RAID manager, JMicron RAID controller, and my two NICs) and I've re-run PCMark without issue. For some reason Prime65 is still dumping out, however it now runs for about 20 minutes and about 6 or 7 passes instead of stopping after just a few runs.

Last edited by JjcampNR; 05-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 346488

Thanks for the update, please keep us up on what happens.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346604
Sad

I've continued to troubleshoot this, it's definitely some sort of motherboard/RAM compatibility issue. When I set the settings provided manually and save, I get the "overclocking failed" error even though I'm underclocking my memory to stock speeds (absolutely nothing else is overclocked in my system). If I go back into the BIOS, check settings, then continue on everything comes up OK and my system doesn't freeze but stability tests fail (like Prim95) which means there's still a problem. I've played around with different combos of BIOS settings for memory/voltage/etc and ensured all the default overclock crap is turned off, but I can't seem to get stable. The closest I get is with the settings you gave me, however every single time I do a cold boot I have to go into the BIOS and hit F10 to save and reboot before I can get into Windows OR if I set everything to Auto, set the Memory profile to XMP, and disable the Spread Spectrum settings.

RAM GUY - If you're in contact with anyone over at Asus can you give them a big WTF for me? I think I'm going to try bumping back down to the 0204 BIOS tonight, it didn't lock up on me but did give Memtest86+ errors with manual settings. Maybe I'll be able to get the settings right with that version.

Any other thoughts on what I can do to get these settings correct and fix compatibility with this motherboard/RAM? I figured this would be a compatible combo since the 1GB sticks are validated in this board. Has anyone successfully used these sticks/motherboard? Besides moving back down to the 0204 BIOS and trying this all over again, I'm kind of at the end of what I can think to test. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 346627

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346642

The thing is, I don't think there's any problem with the RAM (I did RMA one pack early on that was showing problems, but both packages are now testing fine). I can run Memtest86+ on them all day and night and not a single error pops up (I ran it for about 24 hours straight and no errors over almost 22 passes on all 4 sticks). I'm just getting random system freezes when I try and let the motherboard figure out some of the settings, and when I try and manually input them it doesn't like to boot and complains about "overclocking failed" even though I'm lowering the speed of the RAM. I'm wondering if you know if these sticks are successfully working on an Asus P5E3 Preimum (WiFi) anywhere in Corsair and if so what the motherboard settings are and which BIOS it's on.

I truly believe this is a problem with the Asus BIOS continually trying to overclock on its own (even when those settings are disabled) or with the BIOS trying to figure out the correct memory settings (whatever isn't specifically entered) for the RAM.