Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 05:54 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344288
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
How do you know, do you work for Corsair?
He is our resident Orc boy...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344289
JjcampNR Reputation: 10

I was just kidding around with him a bit, it's been a long few days of hardware testing and it finally looks like it's coming to an end when the new sticks arive.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 344309
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

NP Please let us know how you make out!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344320

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
NP Please let us know how you make out!
Well, I spoke too soon apparently. So here's what I know so far....

Pair 1 - Both sticks are detected correctly (speed and timing) when inserted individually or in a pair. Each stick is OK after multiple passes in Memtest. If I put them in as a pair, they're still detected correctly however they fail Memtest on the first pass.

Pair 2 - One stick is detected correctly and one is not. Each stick passes Memtest correctly at the speed and timings the BIOS detects it at (so one is OK at DDR13333 and the other is OK at DDR10600). If I put them in as a pair, they fail Memtest and the speed/timings are dropped to DDR10600 which isn't correct for this memory.

I'm going to try manually settting the BIOS again using this info:
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68826

If this isn't correct, can someone let me know what I should be using (see my user info for my system specs)? I'm at a total loss what's going on right now, it seems that 3 sticks are OK, one is having issues getting detected correctly, and when using them in pairs something is wrong. I'm holding off on the RMA until I get to the root of this issue. I'm on the latest BIOS for my board so I don't know what else to look at if the manual settings don't work.

I assume this memory should be fine in an Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi/AP @n board correct?

Help me....please....before I lose my sanity....

Thanks!

Last edited by JjcampNR; 04-22-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 344322
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

When you install all four modules the memory frequency should be set to DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.9 Volts and if there is a setting for the NB/MCH Voltage set to +.05 Volts and set the tested timings manually and then test with www.memtest.org. But test that set with the odd module at their rated speed and settings set manually first to make sure its not failing.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344323

I'm also looking into the possibility Memtest86+ may have a bug with either my CPU or maybe the X48 chipset. I'm currently running Memtest86 on the set that has both sticks detected correctly when inserted individually. I'm going to set BIOS specs manually once this finishes.

Any idea why only one stick out of four would show up incorrectly when inserted by itself? Why is the speed with all 4 inserted reduced to 10600? I'm at a loss as to what's going on with my setup right now. I'm also going to contact Asus and see if they have a new BIOS that I can get or if they're aware of any issues with this memory.

EDIT: Well, something is just not quite right here. Using Pair1 (detected correctly, each stick passes individually OK, but Memtest86+ fails when run on the pair together) I ran Memtest86+ (v2.01) and received errors, as I've posted about already. Frustrated, I also ran Memtest86 (v3.4 - leaving BIOS on auto) over a number of passes without a single error. So, the question is, WTF is going on here?!?!?! Of course, Memtest86 shows my CPU as a P3 @ 2.66GHz, L2 cache as unknown, and the rest of my system specs aren't shown or correct - while Memtest86+ shows everything correctly but throws errors on my RAM.

RAM GUY - I beg you, what on earth is going on here, share you wisdom with me!

Last edited by JjcampNR; 04-22-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added additional info on Memtest86 results

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344330

Download memtest from--->Here
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.
Please use this version of Memtest. You are using an old version of a different product and one which is known to return errors incorrectly. Also, enter your BIOS and set "Legacy USB" to disabled".

AI Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings
Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual.
CPU Ratio Setting = 8
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency = 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.6v
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto
CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled
Test with two sticks, inserted in the first and third slots.

Last edited by DerekT; 04-22-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344331

Your link goes to Memtest86+ v2.01 - which is the product throwing errors, while Memtest v3.4 (older, which is why I didn't use it originally) does not. I'll double check Legacy USB support as you suggested, but I believe it's already disabled. I'll also set the memory manually and report back in a few minutes. I'm also still trying to get the boot CD working with CPU-Z for you, I'm just not having much luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344333

If Memtest 2.01 is throwing errors, then that is the one to use. Do not use the 3.4 because even if it is not throwing errors, does not mean you are error free. Your system should not have issues with V2.01. I have worked with that DRAM and that board and Memtest worked correctly.

You may have a board issue, which is why I would like to see a CPU-z of those sticks and on another board would be best. You don't want to RMA the DRAM only to find that the board is the issue and you do not want to RMA the board only to find the DRAM is the issue. Test with a single stick in slot 1 (closest to the CPU) with the settings I have given you. If you pass with Memtest 2.01 with that one stick, then move that stick to slot 2 and retest. Repeat this process on slot 3 and 4. This isolates the one stick and the four slots from being the issue. Then test stick 2, 3 and 4 in slot one independently. If one stick does not work, and all other sticks work, then you indeed do have a bad stick and need to RMA the two.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344341

OK, I like to do things one step at a time so see the outcome of each action. I've changed the Legacy USB Support setting in my BIOS from "Auto" to "Disabled" and I'm now running Memtest86+ v2.01 on Pair 1 in slots 1 and 3. Pair 1 is the pair that both sticks show up with the correct speed/timings but threw an error when tested as a pair before (but both passed v2.01 without errors individually).

The first pass has completed without error, which is further than I've been able to get with a pair so far (I'm letting at least one more pass run before I give it the thumbs up). Why on earth would Legacy USB support cause my memory to error out? Are these real errors or false positives? Can I enable Legacy USB without memory problems once I'm done testing (will it cause actual memory problems in my applications or is this something low level that won't cause problems once an OS is up and running)?

I've also (finally) been able to get the ISO to build for my Windows boot CD containing CPU-Z, so once Memtes86+ finishes I'll run that and see if I can find a way to save the images for you. I don't have another DDR3 motherboard available, so unfortunately there's no way I can do that part for you. It seems like I have at least one good pair of memory, and I'm going to re-test the other pair tonight or tomorrow before I process it through RMA if that's still necessary. Honestly I would have been absolutely shocked if I had two bad pairs - especially from Corsair, who is the only company I buy my RAM from because I value their high quality standards.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm an IT consultant with years of experience however my knowledge of RAM typically ends with picking the right sticks and ensuring it's working properly. I deal more with infrastructure than hardware level testing/tweaking.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344343
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
How do you know, do you work for Corsair?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks, I just needed some outside verification so I could be sure I didn't make a stupid mistake!
No, I don't work for them (read the signature) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
He is our resident Orc boy...
Don't even know what the hell that means.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 AM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
And that's exactly why I said it!

Well, I just finished my 2nd pass with no errors after disabling "Legacy USB Support" in my BIOS, now I'll move on to the CPU-Z images as requested. Honestly, I don't understand why Legacy USB would cause memtest to fail.

Once I get the CPU-Z images for you I'll move these two "known good" sticks to slots 2 and 4 and test again to ensure those slots don't throw errors. If that's OK, I'll see what the funky pair show now that the USB setting was flipped.

Thanks for all the help, I really really appreciate everyone taking the time.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 AM
JjcampNR's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344347

OK, here are the CPU-Z screens. Sorry they're in PDF but that's how Print Screen worked off the boot CD I used to get them. Let me know if anything stands out as incorrect. Pair 1 didn't error out on 2 passes of Memtest86+ v2.01 once I flipped the USB setting. I'll test Pair 2 (with the funky stick) tonight and report back tomorrow (morning hopefully). Let me know about the CPU-Z settings - I grabbed everything useful while I was in there since it's a pain to get the images.

Thanks!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CPUZ-CPU.PDF (87.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: pdf CPUZ-Mainboard.PDF (77.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: pdf CPUZ-Memory.PDF (75.6 KB, 253 views)
File Type: pdf CPUZ-SPD-Slot1.PDF (81.8 KB, 238 views)
File Type: pdf CPUZ-SPD-Slot3.PDF (82.0 KB, 211 views)

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344355

Quote:
Why on earth would Legacy USB support cause my memory to error out? Are these real errors or false positives? Can I enable Legacy USB without memory problems once I'm done testing (will it cause actual memory problems in my applications or is this something low level that won't cause problems once an OS is up and running)?
ASUS uses a caching method for USB legacy mode and this can return errors in Memtest. They are not real errors, they are shadowed cache errors. Yes, you can enable Legacy USB after testing. There are no real errors. You very likely have a single stick issue. Having more that that would be surprising indeed.

Your attachments are running correctly as far as reported data goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post

Don't even know what the hell that means.
Your avatar is a green "Orc".

Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344359
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Your avatar is a green "Orc".
LMFFAO, I've had this avatar for 7 years, and NO ONE has ever said they thought it looked like an Orc. Man, you're playing WAAAAYYYYY too much Warcraft!
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)