The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 AM

POST ID # = 341905
Tau Nemesis Reputation: 10
Default Motherboard not listed, DX48BT2

Hello, any help with what modules are certified/tested for the DX48BT2? I am interested in the DRR3-1600.

Also there is some conflicting information around as you can see toward the end of this thread, the HardOCP Editor insist that no mobo can support more than 2 GB for 1600 MHz memory; but I think they are misreading the information from Intel, since that is only true with single sided modules, but we would get 4 GB with double sided ones. Yet please check it out I would like your opinion.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....1290338&page=2

Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 342061
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

What is the make and model of the MB? Is this a Intel MB with the X48 Chipset? Please provide a link to the MB!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 PM

POST ID # = 342065

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
What is the make and model of the MB? Is this a Intel MB with the X48 Chipset? Please provide a link to the MB!
Yes, is the Intel DX48BT2.

http://www.intel.com/products/mother...8BT2/index.htm

Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 342067

We would not have tested that MB as of yet and if we did it would be a reference MB so it would not show up on MB test reports. But officially the Intel MB's only support DDR1333 unless you have a 1600 FSB CPU. The MB that are tested would be from the MB the customer searches for from our memory configurator, and I doubt that will show up for a while, but I have asked that is be added to the configurtator.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 PM

POST ID # = 342084

The X48 officially support 1600 FSB, of course you need to have a CPU that match it, the system FSB will automatically adapt to the CPU.

I don't plan to OC, since I want a reliable system for years to come, and at the same time be as future proof as possible; I cannot wait until Nehalem is out, but I was waiting for a system with this chipset in particular for the official support of the 1600 FSB. So as you can imagine I got the CPU to match it.

I am only waiting for information regarding the memory for this system.

The maximum amount of memory for this chipset at 1600 FSB (using 1600 MHz DIMM's and CPU to match) would be 2 GB or 4 GB?

Quote:
For 1600 MHz memory, only two DIMMs are supported for a maximum of 4 GB utilizing 1 Gb memory technology. DIMMs should be configured as a matched pair equal in speed and size in DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 of channel B.
Quote:
If you are using DDR3 1600 MHz DIMMs, it is recommentded [sic] that you only
populate two of the four DIMM slots, specifically one slot in each channel. It is
recommended that you populate slot 1 of each channel (black connectors).
The maximum system memory for DDR3 1600 is 2 GB using 1 Gbit technology
memory in a 1R x 8 configuration (single-sided modules).

For what I gather would be 1GB using single sided modules and 4 GB using double sided ones, but would like to know what Corsair says about this, since as you could see from the link in my first post the HardOCP Editor insist that no mobo can support more than 2 GB for 1600 MHz memory.

Also awaiting your input in tested/certified memory (thank you for asking it to be included)

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 342184

I cannot comment on the Intel version of the MB as I have not seen it, if I did I would still not be able to comment because of the NDA with Intel. I will say that the Intel BOXED MB's do not always allow you to over clock and as such at this time that is the only way to run 1600 Mhz memory or faster. As the MB's come available we will test them and publish test reports on Corsair Labs: Performance Reports we test 5-8 MB's a week and publish reports the best I can suggest would be to keep checking that link and I am sure there will be more information.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM

POST ID # = 343390
WhiteRiverCloud Reputation: 10
Default Intel Dx48bt2

I am also waiting for memory configuration for this board.
Seems like a solid board. Intel does not make it real clear
what support this board has for 1600 memory.
The specs say, DDR3 1.5V SPD.
Only two Dimm's can be used of 1600 memory and is maxed out at 4 GB
using 1 GB technology.
Does not say anything about OC memory.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 343397

I have not seen any DDR1600 memory that would run at 1.5 Volts all of it from everyone I have seen has been 1.7-2.0 Volts.
But we do have a several DDR1600 modules listed on a XMS3 Product page both 2 Gig and 4 Gig kits.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
goretsky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 347070
goretsky Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to goretsky Send a message via Yahoo to goretsky Send a message via Skype™ to goretsky

Hello,

I have an Intel DX48BT2 motherboard two TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2x2GB) kits. With all four modules installed, the board does not POST. With one TW3X4G1333C9DHX kit (4GB RAM total) installed, the board does POST. Increasing the RAM to 6GB with a TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX G (1x1GB) kit allows the board to POST as well, as does running it with just 2GB installed. The DX48BT2 is set to factory CPU and RAM timings (e.g., no overclocking).

I am, however, experiencing intermittent lockups with either of the 4GB kits installed.

According to Intel's web site, a BIOS update is available. I will trying updating the BIOS to see what difference, if any, this makes.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 347109

Does it allow you to set the memory Voltage? if so set it to 1.9 Volts and see if that help and I would also set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts as well.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 AM
goretsky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 350758
goretsky Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to goretsky Send a message via Yahoo to goretsky Send a message via Skype™ to goretsky

Hello,

Apologies for the delay in a reply, but I had to step away from this project for a bit. I have increased the memory and MCH voltages and the system now appears to be operating in a stable fashion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 350810

Thank you for letting me know please let us know if you have any more questions!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351717
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10
Default Big problems with 4Gb of DDR31600 and the Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard

Hi Ram Guy,

For the better part of a week I have been trying to get two sticks of some rather nice TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN G ram to work in my brand new Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard and my best efforts have not been entirely successful. In fact 'total abject failure' is closer to the truth and I am totally stumped.

If I leave all the BIOS memory settings at 'Default' the RAM runs at 1200Mhz at the following timings (from CPI-Z v1.45):

DRAM Frequency 600MHz
FSB::DRAM Ratio 2:3
CL 8
tRCD 9
tRP 9
tRAS 24
Command Rate 1T

This is stable but somewhat slow. I have inserted the RAM into the two black slots as recommended in the obscure tech docs for this board.

If I attempted to change the RAM settings in the bios the only other option I get is 'Manual'. As this RAM has Intel XMP profiles I was expecting to be able to select one but I don't get the option.

Obviously there was some sort of Auto-detect problem so I bravely entered the following values into the BIOS:

FSB Strap 400Mhz
CL 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRAS 20
Command Rate 2T
Voltage 1.9v

After a reboot the end result was rather bad. The machine fell on it's back, screached out a Three Beep error code (Memory not found) as if in pain, displayed a black screen for many nail biting moments, auto rebooted, beeped some more for good measure, and finally came up with a warning that the bios settings had failed. When my hands stopped shaking I reset it back to 'Default' and went in search of a new Bios.

Having Updated to the latest Bios version BTX3810J.1554.2008.0501.1628 (Shared by both X38 and X48 Boards) I now had 5 Extra memory "magic numbers" appears. Woo hoo! Unfortunately the motherboard still failed to read any XMP settings and died just as spectacularly as before if I manually entered 7-7-7-20, 2T, 1.9v, 2T once again.

After a lot of reading on the net I guessed that it was these 5 new memory numbers (tRFC, tRRD, tWR, tWTR, and tRTP) that I needed to find the correct values for.

I tried the following combinations for tRFC, tRRD, tWR, tWTR, and tRTP:

60,4,10,5,5 (Default)

Things got a little better as I could now get into windows again but none of these values was stable, there were frequent failures to boot, App/Game Crashes, BSOD's and random reboots. The whole spectrum of badness.

I then tried changing the main values from 7-7-7-20 to 8-8-8-22 and 9-9-9-24 in combination with each of the above and although system stability improved it would still hang/crash randomly after a few hours. The closest I got to stable was this combination:

Main Settings 8-8-8-22 combined with Extra Settings 60,6,15,7,7.

Using these I ran Memtest86+ from a boot floppy and let it loop all the way through a single complete test. Everything passed just fine.

Unfortunately the system still wasn't 100% stable. I have a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 32-Bit, the latest chipset drivers from intel, and the latest Graphics drivers from nVidia and the system still locks up every hour or two, or fails to detect the ram from time to time (Warnings from the unhapy Bios)when I do a warm-restart.

I have reverted to the safe default again (DDR3-1200) so I can get to this forum and ask for help. I really am very much at a dead end and I can not think of anything else to try. If I have posted this in teh wrong thread then pleasee forgive me, but I've reached the "Help me Obi-wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!" stage of clueless desperation.

Your advice would be very much appreciated!

PS

My CPU is a QX9770 which has a 1600Mhz FSB (400Mhz base clock, Quad-Pumped). That's where the strange FSB to RAM ratios are coming from.

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-03-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added a PS

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 351718

Command Rate should be 2t always and the memory frequency would have to be 1-1 with the CPU FSB, so what are you setting the CPU frequency to?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351728
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10

Hi Ram Guy,

Agreed, it should be 1-1 wuth CPU FSB at 2T, that's what I was aiming for but it's unstable if I set it by hand (due to lack of XMP detection).

I have left the CPU frequency alone. The 'natural' state for the QX9770 is 1600FSB with the core at 3.2Ghz (400*8). The X48 based motherboards are the only ones Intel sanctions as having full official support for this CPU. If you buy the new CPU's with the faster FSB it AUTO detects it and enables it by default. This is the only way you can get DDR3-1600 to run in sync. it's younger brother QX9650 has a 1333FSB and goes well with DDR3-1333. It's the same pattern.

Using 'Default' ram settingsit has dropped the RAM speed down to about DDR3-1200 spec and is using an ugly fractional ratio. The CPU FSB remains at 1600. It's playing with common factors and other math tricks to run the ram slower than normal, which is not very efficient. It boots and is 100% stable but I can't really leave it this way. I know the $1000 ram can run in sync with low latency at the FSB's clock rate but without XMP working I just can't get the settings right.

It's 2.20AM in the morning here in the UK so I am begining to fade somewhat!. I may not have understood your question, but I am trying.

By the way, just in case this was caused by overheating I have mounted a huge 120mm fan directly over the RAM and northbridge. They actually feel cool to the touch. Very nice heatsinks on this RAM!. The CPU is water cooled and runs at about 35c - 50c, which I think is safe. I am not attempting to overclock anything. In theory I should not have to. I totally agree with the 2T thing, that makes sence but didn't stop the crashes when I set it by hand. If I left the wait state timing on AUTO it would sometimes choose 1T at 7-7-7-20 which is obviously suicidal, so I did not give it any choice. I also used CPU-Z to double check it was set to 2T.

At the moment it's only using 1T at the moment as it has 'under clocked' the RAM whe in fully AUTO compatibility mode. It decided to do that all by it's self and I am not going to mess with as I need the beast to stay up while I type this reply.

What do you think Ram Guy?, bad BIOS, bad Motherboard or bad Ram?, I am out of ideas. Should I try and up the RAM voltage higher than 1.9v or does this invidte a meltdown.

The other TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX RAMCorsair make is more 'generic' and I wanted to avoid having to tweak the timings just in case it all went pear shaped like it just did. Mine is the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN G and has "Intel Extreme Memory" printed on the side. The motherboard supports XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profiles), DDR1600 without the need to overclock, and 4Gb RAM (On Two sticks) if you run at this higher speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU-Z Tab1.jpg (48.3 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-04-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Edited the next day so what I said actually made more sence.