The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346538
TomGu Reputation: 10

O....K...
Assuming by "changing the caps", you mean "replacing the bad capacitors", I am willing to try. Are the capacitors soldered into the board or do they simply plug in? If soldered, would one need a special type of soldering gun for this application and could such a gun (and the replacement capacitors) be purchased at an outlet like Radio Shack? Concerning replacement capacitors, will the model number off the existing capacitors be sufficient when purchasing replacements or is it necessary to physically carry one of the old ones with me when I go to get the replacements, i.e., do they come in different sizes so I must get the right "capacity" as well as the right "size"? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346540

Found info about capacitor replacement online. Not necessary to reply to the post above. Thanks anyway.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 346593
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

They are soldered and I am sorry I cannot tell you how to do that, but if you search you can find more information about it and you will need to use a solder sucker to clean the old solder out.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346743

Found a website called badcaps.net that offers capacitor replacement service. May give it a try. If so, will post result in case others have this issue.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 346824

OK good news then and yes please do let us know how you make out!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 346843
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGu View Post
Found a website called badcaps.net that offers capacitor replacement service. May give it a try. If so, will post result in case others have this issue.
As a board certified technician I can tell you that the work in pulling and soldering new caps would be more than the actual price of a mainboard. I have not pulled a cap in years since the charge would be higher for pulling, soldering and testing than the price of a new board. The only way that this would work would be if you were able to do the work yourself. You would need magnifying equipment, a micro soldering workstation and remember that one touch of the soldering gun to the motherboard will very likely have you with a dead board and purchasing a new one will be the only route then.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 355306

In response to RamGuy's request below to "let us know how you make out" with the capacitor replacement, I sent the affected motherboard (Asus A7N8X-X) to Badcaps.net. They replaced 22 capacitors for $80.00 including return shipping. Total time from shipping board to receiving board was about a month. The motherboard has been reinstalled and operating 24/7 for approximately two weeks with no problems. The quality of the soldering appears quite neat (I am not a soldering expert). Most importantly, the computer has been "restored" with no loss of data or reinstallation of programs. I would not hesitate to use Badcaps.net again. Tom

Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 355347

Thanks for the update!

Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 361362

Hope this post will be considered "on topic" to this thread. Just installed ImageMixer 3 software bundle that came with Canon camcorder. Video "player" portion of the software will not function on this computer - minics a computer of days past that was suffering from an IRQ conflict (v-e-r-y slow processing, sluggish mouse movement, etc.). The ImageMixer software documentation specifies a minimum 3.0 GB processor with an asterisk noting that "performance is not guaranteed when using an overclocked processor". Why would an overclocked processor inhibit their software from running properly? I could possibly see their point (barely) if I was using a 2.4Ghz processor overclocked to 3.0Ghz but my E8400 at its default of 3.0 Ghz met their "minimum cpu speed requirement" before I applied the overclock to 4 Ghz. Is their contention that the overclock is an issue correct?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 361546

I would suggest contacting them (the makers of that software) and get that directly from them.