The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 PM
digitalether's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326303
digitalether Reputation: 10
Default 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 at full speed?

I was able to run these at 800mhz when I had 2GB, but after adding two more I had to reduce the speed to 667. Is there any way to run this RAM at 800 mhz?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
chadxms's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326309
chadxms Reputation: 10

I have the same mobo and memory and I too suffer from this problem. Is this a RAM issue or is this a Vista x64 issue?

Bios reads 4GB of memory but Vista does not boot. As digital has said it will boot if you decrease the speed of the memory to 667mhz. Yes I have installed the vista update 92977...blah blah. Doesnt help.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Xtreeme's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326311
Xtreeme Reputation: 10

Intels, so the problem is the mobo reducing the speed. Nothing wrong with the ram, its just the mem controler in North Bridge chip cant handle it. The newest intel chipset boards are dealing with it better. Also there is hope for amd's new cpu and boards. AMD and Intel new boards are DDRII1066 even. But again Im pretty sure 4dimms even in those would make you use ddrII 800.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
chadxms's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326316
chadxms Reputation: 10

The mobo does support 4Gb's of 800Mhz DDR2 and specifically refers to the afor mentioned model of corsair membory in its QVL. There is no evidence to support the chipset not being able to handle 4gigs of 800mhz memory. I feel the problem either lies with a faulty memory module or and perhaps more likely a problem with Vista not being able to boot.

Also if a chipset was to blame it would screw up or show invalid data during POST. But it does not. It can POST and it automatically detects the memory at 800mhz we have to manually set the speed to 667mhz to get vista to boot.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
digitalether's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326330

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadxms View Post
The mobo does support 4Gb's of 800Mhz DDR2 and specifically refers to the afor mentioned model of corsair membory in its QVL. There is no evidence to support the chipset not being able to handle 4gigs of 800mhz memory. I feel the problem either lies with a faulty memory module or and perhaps more likely a problem with Vista not being able to boot.

Also if a chipset was to blame it would screw up or show invalid data during POST. But it does not. It can POST and it automatically detects the memory at 800mhz we have to manually set the speed to 667mhz to get vista to boot.
I was able to get my system to boot and it runs fine...no lockups (Crysis + Audigy issues aside). I just want to run the RAM at the advertised speed.
IF you system can't boot at all, then try these settings:
Bios Settings:
SLI-Ready Memory = Disabled
Memory Voltage = 2.085
tCL = 4
tRCD = 4
tRP = 4
tRAS = 12
CMD = 2
Advanced Memory Timings
tRC = 22
tWTR = 15
All other settings = auto

Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 326353
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

TRC should be set to 24 and with 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested, but you might be able to get DDR800 with all four installed but I would set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 AM
digitalether's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326426

Thanks RAM Guy....my NB voltage was set to Auto in the P5N-E SLI's BIOS....I'll see if I can find out what this eventually winds up being so I can add .05 to it....unless someone already knows what it is with this ram and the e6850....

Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 326477

Just press enter on the setting and a sub menu should show the options.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
digitalether's PC Specs

POST ID # = 326539

OK this worked...I set the trc to 24 and then upped the NB voltage.
My computer is now working with all 4 mem modules in place, AND the mem is
running at 800mhz. I played 2 hours of crysis and 2 hours of GRAW2....then used my computer for 8 hours straight today...no issues at all.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 326671

NP and thank you for letting me know!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
DrumDude's PC Specs

POST ID # = 328539
DrumDude Reputation: 10
Default Further assistance needed

I have the same MB (P5N-E) and RAM (4GB of XMS2 PC6400 C4) as DigitalEther, but it's only seeing 3GB when I enter BIOS setup. I started with 2GB (yellow slots) and just added the other 2GB (black slots) last night. I've checked three times that the RAM is seated correctly. I have the aforementioned manual RAM timings set, but could that really affect what the BIOS even sees? I'm using XP Pro and it boots up fine, but only sees the 3GB that the BIOS sees.

DigitalEther, what is the exact voltage you ended up with for your NB?

Thanks any and all for your help.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 328584

There might be a setting in the BIOS to remap the memory, but if you have a 32-Bit O.S. you will never see the full four Gig in Windows, you might try running www.memtest.org and see how much memory is reported there.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
PeterMC's PC Specs

POST ID # = 329158
PeterMC Reputation: 10
Default About to have 4 GB total

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
TRC should be set to 24 and with 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested, but you might be able to get DDR800 with all four installed but I would set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts as well.

Hi I have the same memory/mobo and am about to add a 2 GB kit; I am curious how to drop the 800 down to 677 and what else I'd need to stay stable.
Currently sometimes I get bios freezing right as the memory stats come on the bios load screen, with just the 2 GB in Dual channel. Games etc run fine; its only BOOT that gives me issues, besides the blue screen If I don't have the ram volts correct.
I ran memtest showing issues with both original sticks but that was without disabling legacy usb, of course I rma'ed those to newegg because I didn't know.
Bought a new kit and and found settings that work once -in awhile, so when the rma stuff comes back I will try for 4 GB [ even though I know XP 32 bit will only see <3 GB.

p.s. "NB" is Northbridge, right, what's "MCH" voltage? Are they the same?
I'm at 1.2 for NB now, 1.37v for Vcore,2.085 for memory [closest to 2.1 available] And fsb cpu stuff to "unlinked". Shut off alll the cpu specific things except execute disable bit. Also turned off all Spread Spectrum stuff becasue of what I read at the Asus mobo forum.

p.p.s . I had set some of the basic advanced timing settings to match the memory specific, but now am trying to keep as much of that "auto" as possible as I can't tell what particular thing is giving me my random boot freezes. would it matter if I input them manually or is it best to keep as much auto?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 329166

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

If they both pass you should only have to set the memory Voltage and timings but with that MB I would set the Command Rate to 2t Manually and set the TRC to 24 as well.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Torein's PC Specs

POST ID # = 330227
Torein Reputation: 10

Sorry for the bump. I have a similiar issue.

Corsair XMS2 4x1gig sticks in the Asus P5N-E SLI board. If I use all 4 sticks on the default settings it won't boot (just hangs prior to bios.) If I remove one of the sticks it starts up fine.

Any other things I can try besides what's been written here? I set my NB Voltage to 1.59. Not sure if that's the v +.05 that was spoken about earlier or not though.

I also just upgraded the BIOS to the newest version 0803.

If I'm unable to get it working right is it better to run all four gigs at 667mhz or have 3ghz @ 800mhz. I may be upgraded to vista 64-bit in the future but at the moment I have windows xp pro sp 2 32-bit.

Thank you!