The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 244170
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Once again, this a CERTIFIED DUAL CHANNEL KIT. NOT SINGLE sticks, but TWO sticks certified to run in DUAL CHANNEL mode, hence their nomenclature and would not nor should not be sold under the false pretense of said "DUAL channel kit" if they are not just that. I did not purchase two single TwinX1024-PC4400 Pro sticks for $310 per say. I purchased a dual channel kit, named TwinX2048-4400 Pro. There is a big difference. So are you trying to tell me that a DUAL CHANNEL memory kit isn't really supposed to work in DC mode...even after being told they WILL? I think not. I couldn't care less if one stick works fine, I DO NOT WANT TO USE one stick, but BOTH, TWO of them as the complete kit under which they were purchased. If one works fine, you can't send only one stick back hoping you might get another one in replacement that might match the one you keep so they'll work together in DC mode.

I've been running DC kits in this mobo since day one, 3+ years ago. It is NOT my mobo, CPU, and now I've determined it's not the PSU*. If I had "system problems" then I would not be able to run my other DC memory kits. If you're saying that I STILL COULD, then please explain that. Sorry but you really sound like a CSR that blames other things than the product in question.
Three's no need to be repetitious or condescending. I know what memory you have and I understand dual channel architecture. I find it odd and scary that a person that owns and operates a computer business does not understand fundamental troubleshooting and refuses to listen to logic. Take it at face value that THERE IS A NEED TO TEST THE MODULES INDIVUDUALLY.

1. How do you know that there is not some "problem" with "some" component (memory or otherwise) that is affecting your system? You may have run dual channel kits in the past but, you have never run this specific IC and never run any IC with this density. You are in uncharted terriroty here as it is a virtual cdrtainty that no other person on the planet has the EXACT same hardware combo as you. This memory is so new you could very easily be the first guy to have this issue. Also, I did not reread your specs, what bios are you using?

2. I have heard of (rare) cases where some hardware changes (usually a CPU) will require an OS reinstall. You can never go wrong with a clean install when changing components.

3. I have seen (again rare) cases where memory will pass Memtest as a pair yet show a failing module when tested as singles.

This suggestion is fundamental and easy. No need to be obstinate about it. And, you do have the Corsair warranty. If the memory won't run to spec, they will replace it. There is no need for this to be so difficult.

Mike .

Old 04-03-2006, 03:19 AM
(Want DDR600 2gb for P4!)
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 244171
Clint H. Reputation: 10

Quote:
Three's no need to be repetitious or condescending. I know what memory you have and I understand dual channel architecture. I find it odd and scary that a person that owns and operates a computer business does not understand fundamental troubleshooting and refuses to listen to logic. Take it at face value that THERE IS A NEED TO TEST THE MODULES INDIVUDUALLY.
Any condescendence was unintentional. However there is apparently a reason to be repetitious. Now who's being condescending now? Insults are not necessary. This is the LAST TIME I'M GOING TO STATE THIS: SO WHAT IF ONE stick might work?? What good is that to me?? I SAY IT AGAIN, I have come across SINGLE STICKS ALONE in DC kits MANY TIMES that work FINE ALONE, but DO NOT IN DC MODE. This means they are NOT PERFECTLY MATCHED as they SHOULD BE for if this were NOT the case, the replacement pair would ALSO NOT WORK. Now I find it (to use your phrase) "odd and scary" that a person "in your position" refuses to listen to that. Why do you think DC memory kits are made and not just single sticks alone?? The two sticks are supposedly TESTED TOGETHER to work in a synergistic symbiotic relationship in a mobo capable of DC operation. Even though two sticks may be "identical", as you should know there are slight variances and tolerances in semiconductor make-up that make single sticks purchased separately not likely to run in DC operation at their rated speeds as individuals. The sum of the two can only be that of the "weakest" stick. HENCE the reason for Dual-Channel memory packages, and when they do not work in DC mode, they are as a PAIR faulty in some way.

If a Dual-Channel memory kit does not work at its specs in a mobo, yet works as a single stick, it/they are/IS NOT WORKING WITHIN ESTABLISHED PARAMETERS AS A KIT and is therefore faulty AS A KIT.

If one of these sticks should happen to work in my mobo, the end result is the same; a faulty PAIR of modules SOLD AS a DC memory kit, and still has to be returned.

Now that's how I "know that there is not some problem with some component (memory or otherwise) that is affecting" my system. Now if I am missing something here, and you can truthfully say to me that there STILL COULD BE something wrong with my system, and this memory is perfect, then please elaborate, give me examples, I'm all ears (or eyes I should say). Otherwise, please give this specific area a rest. Thank you.

Correct, to my knowledge I have not used any Infineon C-Rev chips before, but I have used 2gb DC kits before. (Although I fail to see how a specific chip in a memory module not functioning in a mobo when it should, would indicate hardware failure elsewhere). Mobo BIOS is 1016. I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'm not about to flash the BIOS unless the Asus site states something like that a new BIOS version has "better support with 2gb memory kits" or similar (which it does not, I checked).

Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 244174

Regarding my comment about these being "pulled"...

I'm not going to try and find all the URL's now, but I found them when I was researching this memory and other memory. Most of the hits were on pages that had changed and the only way to see the pages' contents was to use Google's "Cached" links. One I happened to save because it was in an email I sent to someone that reviewed them. The webpage now is no longer valid, at least I can't get it to load now and G has no cache or record of the URL now! Evidently the pages just "bled out" of G's cache.
===============
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...p/t-84343.html , a post I saved from that page:

"bachus_anonym
12-28-2005, 01:43 AM
just one more thing, iirc these were listed at Corsairs website over a month ago (and there were some reviews at the time) and then suddenly they dissapeared from their products list. were they delayed or what?
-----------------
Well, that's what I'm trying to find out myself :D
Altogether, I have found 4 previews of those sticks, starting from one by John @Insanetek (early October) and ending on one at a Czech hardware website (few days ago). I have no other details."

================
Ah, I did just find this:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=1&lr=lang_en , ".....dunno if you noticed, but TWINX2048-4400PRO is listed again on Corsair's website."

Operative word there is "again".

Old 04-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 244176

Quote:
What is the fastest FSB you have previously run stable?
Sorry I forgot to address that. I stated earlier the CPU can do ~3.6ghz, which was 298mhz bus. This was a DC kit of [other brand's] PC4400. FAIK the CPU can do even more than that, that may have been...and probably was, the limit of the RAM. Actually it did 300mhz but had some MemTest and WMD errors at that point.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 244196
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 244221

Quote:
Correct, to my knowledge I have not used any Infineon C-Rev chips before, but I have used 2gb DC kits before. (Although I fail to see how a specific chip in a memory module not functioning in a mobo when it should, would indicate hardware failure elsewhere). Mobo BIOS is 1016. I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'm not about to flash the BIOS unless the Asus site states something like that a new BIOS version has "better support with 2gb memory kits" or similar (which it does not, I checked).
Bios updates can often increase compatibility including memory compatibility. A specific IC in a memory module is not necessarily going to indicate a hardware "failure" but a problem can be a compatibility issue. This does not mean failure.

Also, ASUS only puts bios history information on their website that acknowledges publicly known problems. They are not going to "confess" to everything they do behind the scenes. So, there is no way for anyone outside ASUS to know all of what ASUS edits/changes with each bios revision. AND, they often add bios updates for memory compatibility just like they do for CPU compatibility. Flash or don't flash. FWIW, that bios is about 2 years old. Our primary DV editing machine is running 1016.

As to testing individual modules, I'm not even interested in trying to explain this any longer. It's your computer. RAM GUY suggests it and there are many reasons for doing this. Are you intentionally refusing to do it on purpose or do you genuinely not understand the logic behind it?

Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 244315

I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that!
Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 244341

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.
Hello, I already addressed most of this in previous posts, I guess you missed them. I mentioned "Legacy USB" IS off; that I tried 2.75v; and that I set the timings manually.

I think it's logical to run MemTest before I try them on a new XP install that I considered. If there are errors then there's no point in formatting and installing XP on another HD.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 244385

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 244388

Quote:
Hopefully I'll have time tonight to install the other HD and try a clean install. I MIGHT try a new BIOS version as well.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 244390

Clint the one thing I would suggest is that you test the modules one at a time, if you have a failing module it will become clear and then just get them replaced, but if you get errors with both modules running them one up or no errors one up that would suggest some other problem.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246421

I received a phone message from a "John ********" regarding my RMA and he left the email address of "ramguy[at]corsair.....". Is that you, and if so, to what exactly was it pertaining? I sent the memory back Monday. I work nights and I'll be heading out shortly and off to bed, so it's not very easy for me to call any ph. #.

FWIW, I put nearly 40 total hours of testing into these sticks!! I tried hundreds of combinations of BIOS settings, FIVE power supplies with each hooked up in different manners--even two at the same time, and the one thing that remains consistent is.......there is nothing consistent!!

On MemTest, they will lock up, totally freeze the test on Test #5. Sometimes it may complete one full test, and if it does, it will hang on the 2nd pass! If in the rare event it would complete 2 passes, it would hang up on the 3rd pass and on test 5 again! Twice it would go past test 5 then hang on test 8, which I believe is just test 5 looped. When I would run test 5 repeatedly (looped), sometimes it would pass 2 passes, but always hanging on the 3rd. Usually it would hang on the FIRST pass! On some occasions it would hang up immediately when the program would start!!

On WMD (M$'s "Windows Memory Diagnostic"), the EXACT same thing happened as described above, but on test #4 (Stride6 checkerboard).

I ran hundreds of passes on each, and this was always the result. Rarely would any actual errors show up! Occasionally they would, but 99% of the time they would just freeze, lockup! I did a bit of research on these specific tests and freezes on them, and most of what I found stated faulty memory modules (or weak PSU which I eliminated).

Last edited by Wired; 04-20-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 246436

Lets get your modules replaced, but what you have posted would suggest some other problem. And PSU would be the most likely cause.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246443

Quote:
Lets get your modules replaced, but what you have posted would suggest some other problem. And PSU would be the most likely cause.
please excuse no caps and short phrases. cut my finger bad on razor blade and need stitches, hard to type now. just getting back from dr.

5 or 6 ps's i tried! please elab on any psu issues or other issues. i think i pointed out one psu was $130! one has 40A on the 3.3v rail (600 watter). also tried Antec ps and others. (i just counted and it was 6 psu's i tried).
thx.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 246463

Sorry to hear about the finger, perhaps voice recognition software would help while you heal.

In the past and based on feedback from all the gurus, OCers, modders, etc I have conferred with, a majority of Memtest test 5 errors trace back to the CPU. This is especially true when OCing. Even though the CPU is capable of higher bus speeds with lesser quantities of memory, this is a 2 x 1gb setup and will have much more demanding characteristics than either your 2 x 256mb or 2 x 512mb setup.

So, it could be 1 of several things IMO. Regardless of the PSUs used, it could be a power related issue. The MOBO or the MCH may not be up to doing 275mhz with 2 x 1gb sticks. Based on your signature, you noted that 2 x 256mb allows a higher FSB than 2 x 512 or 283mhz vs 250mhz. It's logical then than your OC could drop even more with 2 x 1024mb sticks. You may need some crazy NB cooling to run 275mhz with the new memory IF your MOBO+CPU combo will do it at all.

Also, are you cooling the power MOSFETs around the CPU? And, did you ever test the modules individually? Did you ever update your bios? These 2gb kits were not even available when ASUS released bios 1016 so some compatibility may be gained from the new bios.

Mike.