The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 11:21 PM
dpatch24's PC Specs

POST ID # = 148979
dpatch24 Reputation: 10

Friends4U,

I ran into that latency issue as well and was able to solve it. It occurs when you have the latency set to AUTO. For some reason, the ASUS board does not read the correct timings. Follow frpe82's, RAM GUY's advice and set them manually to 4-4-4-12. Don't bother with the DDR2 600 option as it is crap and doesn't work correctly. Set it to 533 and overclock the bus to 225. You will also notice that the post will update to PC 5300 when you oc the bus to 225 and get an effective DDR2 600.

I have noticed an issue that has forced me to stop using the AI Booster program.

If I have my memory timings manually set to 4-4-4-12, the AI Booster will actually freeze my computer at oc levels above 217 MHz and I have to reboot.

However, if I oc the bus within the BIOS, restart, load windows..everything is cool. The system runs stable. In my opinion, AI Booster sucks. Has anyone noticed that the latest AI Booster installer actually just installs the previous revision? I told ASUS about this and it doesn't look like they've fixed it.

frpe82, I still haven't tried running the bus as high as you. I am still kind of worried about it. I suspect that I will do it one day.

Last edited by dpatch24; 10-14-2004 at 11:25 PM.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:46 AM
frpe82's PC Specs

Location: Rönnäng, a community on the island Tjörn on the westcoast of Sweden
POST ID # = 148994
frpe82 Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to frpe82

Yes, I have seen both the problem with the 4-5-5-12 latency and the AI Booster. Actually, my board put 4-5-5-15 timings on my memory unless I set it to manual. In my opinion, the AI Booster program sucks pretty bad too. This is probably due to the issues with some frequency ranges not liked by the CPU. Both of us has run in to this before when manually overclocking.

Like we said in these posts:

dpatch24 09-23-2004 07:45 PM
My system actually freezes at 218MHz. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it to happen. I made sure to set the PCI bus to run at a fixed 33.3 MHz. I have also tried fixing the PCI Express Bus at 100 MHz as well. What's funny is that my system actually freezes at less than 218 MHz if I have the PCI Express bus fixed at the native 100 MHz . This made no sense to me at all.

frpe82 09-23-2004 10:47 PM
I can´t set my system to 217 or 222 either. But under 217MHz and 223MHz+ are no problem.

I think the problem is showing it self even when AI Booster is changing the values automaticly.
I am a compulsive overclocker. Heh... even my phone is running a 200% overclock.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:52 AM

POST ID # = 149010
ARCSolo Reputation: 10

I am also having issues with the P5AD2 and the settings for the memory and such.

P5AD2 Premium rev 1.02 1008 BIOS
Intel 3.4 HT
Corsair DDR2 5400pro pair of matched 512MB
PCI-e X800
Enermax 660W
Seagate 80GB Barracuda
SATA 74GB Raptors x 2 (not configured until I get the thing to stop rebooting!)
Windows XP SP2

I have tried just about any combination of settings I can think of. The symptoms are that the system will randomly reboot after loading windows. Sometimes 10 minutes sometimes 30 minutes. Case temp is about 40 while the CPU temp stays at 50. I tried the Microsoft Crash Anlysis memory test and it will sometimes fail on the WMATS+ test or the WINVC test. Actually the system reboots shortly after the failures start showing up. Memtest won't finish either, after it fails once the system reboots and will no longer load memtest.

The events log is clean, an occasional service failed here or there but not directly before a failure.

I will try Sandra, I haven't done that yet.

I'm also going to try these settings that RAM Guy posted and see where that gets me.

I also noticed further instability when I connected my new Sony DVD\CD ROM as a slave device. I double checked jumpers and cable positions, all are as they should be.

This board also seems to overclock whether you like it or not. I disabled all OC items in the BIOS and ran the intel freq ID proggy and it detected the CPU and the FSB were still slightly OC'd.

ARC

Last edited by ARCSolo; 10-15-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:29 AM

POST ID # = 149012

I just tried the BIOS settings as posted earlier with CPU at 225 and the memory at 667 (mine showed 666 <<bad sign!) and manually setting timing to 4-4-4-12. The system still reboots randomly. Sandra tests will follow as soon as I can get the thing stable enough to download the software!

But here is my question to Ram Guy, since the memory failed the Microsoft test and rebotts during the memtest, is that a solid indication of bad memory or does that only make it a strong possibility. I have them in separate banks and they load as dual channel interleaved PC2 5300 based on the settings described above.

ARC

Old 10-15-2004, 10:07 AM
frpe82's PC Specs

POST ID # = 149013

Have you tried pushing your computer with prime95 or some other program that use a lot of CPU power (90%+), and a program that use a lot of graphics power.

Just to see what maximum temperatures you get at full load (for about 5-10 minutes), and to see what makes your computer reboot.

If it is not the temp of your CPU or GPU that makes your computer reboot, then you have that ruled out and there is two less things to worry about.
I am a compulsive overclocker. Heh... even my phone is running a 200% overclock.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 AM

POST ID # = 149015

I have tried Prime95 but the system reboots with or without it loaded so I never get a chance to let it run for an extended period of time. Same problem with running a heavy video load, it doesn't give me a chance.

I have taken everything apart and inspectd all connections, reseated the CPU, replaced thermal grease, changed memory banks, removed one memory module, disconnected CD ROM and Floppy for the time being, left lights unconnected, removed the raptors from the drive tray to help airflow, uninstalled AI booster, disabled AI booster in the BIOS, enabled Qfan entries, set temp to lowest setting, turned CPU lock off and on, turned hyper threading off and on, taken up heavy drinking and gambling... Nuthin.

Almost forgot, when I did run Prime95 the CPU temp stayed right at 50.

ARC

Last edited by ARCSolo; 10-15-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:24 AM

POST ID # = 149016

Well, this is interesting. The last try was meant to test the memory slots. I moved the modules to the yellow slots. System stated that overclock failed. I was using the specs I posted above. Usually when that happens I press F1 to enter setup and make changes. This time I selected F2 to run the defaults. The Processor and the FSB now report exactly 3.4 and 800 respectively. I was unable to get them to report these speeds by manually disabling any and all OC options. I haven't checked the BIOS yet but the system booted fine and is now running. I'll try as many tests as I can now and see what I find. If the system can't run at these speeds I have got problems. Windows memory test passed three iterations of 6 tests before I stopped and booted it up. So we shall see.

ARC

Old 10-15-2004, 11:46 AM

POST ID # = 149025

And now my hard drive failed! Somebody hates me!

ARC

Old 10-15-2004, 01:21 PM
frpe82's PC Specs

POST ID # = 149052

I think I know what your problem is man!

I just remembered what happened to me when I first installed XP...

I will go on, but first I have to ask you: Is your HD with the booting partition connected to the PRI_RAID1 or SEC_RAID1 connector on the ITE8212F Controller?
I know mine was the first time I was about to install XP.

So... During the installation of XP the computer rebooted repeatedly. After a bunch of retries it finally worked. Then Windows hung on boot (just before login). After a couple of retries I was able to get logged on. And it worked every time. But after about 5-20 minutes it stalled or rebooted, everytime!

I soon found out that you need SP1 (or maybe it was SP2) to get the drivers to support the ITE8212F on installation and use.

I did not have such an XP installation CD nor the time to upgrade to SP1(or SP2) before the regular reboot. I didn´t get the driver for the controller to work either. And then my HD crashed!!! So I made an installation disk on another computer to use during OS installation (in the beginning where it says "press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers). Then it worked!

But now I use the PRI_IDE1 connector instead. But that is for a whole other reason than the discussed problem.

So try what I did to make it work, or connect your HD to the PRI_IDE1 and install everything then and see if it works.

I assume you have the settings configured right for the ITE8212F both in the BIOS and the ATAPI or RAID BIOS appearing after post.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:32 PM

POST ID # = 149054

No, I'm on the PRI_IDE connection. Thanks though. I've disabled the ITE and SiL settings as I'm not using them yet.

ARC

Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
frpe82's PC Specs

POST ID # = 149058

OK. But when you get it to work, I would like to know one thing.
Maybe someone else can answer my question too.

When you connect a drive (any drive, CD/DVD HD etc.) to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1, do you see the devices on the first screen of the BIOS?

I can´t see any devices on the third and fourth IDE option!

I really hope you get your computer to work, and that it is not any hardware failure making your PC reboot.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:21 AM

POST ID # = 149346
Noob_112 Reputation: 10

Yah, I had the weirdest time installing windows xp on this motherboard also. For some reason my chassis intrusion wouldnt work, so I put the jumper back on. Then when it would try windows xp in the setup it couldnt detect my sata hard drive. Then I thought hey maybe I need to put in a floppy drive and install my raid/sata drivers. Then I installed a floppy drive, weird thing is there is no raid/sata floppy disk lol. So when I had the floppy drive in there it installed windows xp just fine! Very, very weird, I guess I got lucky or something, after I installed everything I removed the floppy drive. Cause um... Floppy drives suck. I have yet to try to increase my ram speed but I think I might need to get a better heatsink first before I try.

Oh and the only problem I currently have right now is for some reason the pled and my ide lights don't come on. Ill figure out this problem soon, I dunno whether its my case or something I really dont know. The only thing that pisses me off is I cant see if the light flashes or not, so I dunno if its busy. If anyone else has this trouble please tell me thanks.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 AM

POST ID # = 149347
Noob_112 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpe82
OK. But when you get it to work, I would like to know one thing.
Maybe someone else can answer my question too.

When you connect a drive (any drive, CD/DVD HD etc.) to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1, do you see the devices on the first screen of the BIOS?

I can´t see any devices on the third and fourth IDE option!

I really hope you get your computer to work, and that it is not any hardware failure making your PC reboot.
I only have 2 devices installed a lite on cdrw and a sata hard drive, I think those other ide options post up later on iteraid where it says drive 0 to 3. Correct me if im wrong.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:45 AM
frpe82's PC Specs

POST ID # = 149352

I don´t think that I really explained what I was looking for.

What I meant to say was: When you enter the BIOS by pressing the DEL-key, do you see any devices that you have connected to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1?

Old 10-18-2004, 10:20 AM

POST ID # = 149368
Friends4U Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to Friends4U Send a message via MSN to Friends4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatch24
Friends4U,

I ran into that latency issue as well and was able to solve it. It occurs when you have the latency set to AUTO. For some reason, the ASUS board does not read the correct timings. Follow frpe82's, RAM GUY's advice and set them manually to 4-4-4-12. Don't bother with the DDR2 600 option as it is crap and doesn't work correctly. Set it to 533 and overclock the bus to 225. You will also notice that the post will update to PC 5300 when you oc the bus to 225 and get an effective DDR2 600.

I have noticed an issue that has forced me to stop using the AI Booster program.

If I have my memory timings manually set to 4-4-4-12, the AI Booster will actually freeze my computer at oc levels above 217 MHz and I have to reboot.

However, if I oc the bus within the BIOS, restart, load windows..everything is cool. The system runs stable. In my opinion, AI Booster sucks. Has anyone noticed that the latest AI Booster installer actually just installs the previous revision? I told ASUS about this and it doesn't look like they've fixed it.

frpe82, I still haven't tried running the bus as high as you. I am still kind of worried about it. I suspect that I will do it one day.
Ok, about the memory, i have pc5400 and the board says pc5300 when i overclock... is that no problem?

For the rest of the message, thank you for your responce!